Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! what else can i do?

• 11-04-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi all,

I found a lovely dog yesterday. He played with my dogs on our walk and then he followed us home. I thought it was one of them that's just left out to walk themselves and he'll be back home so never thought twice of it, just went home with my 2 dogs.
    A few hours later the dog was still wondering around my house.
    I've never seen him before around, so being late at night and raining i just took him in. No collar no ID tag.
    This morning i took him to the vets and he's no microchip either.
    My husband took him to the garda station and they'll be in contact with the Dunboyne pound who'll come and get him.

I have put an add in the lost and found section here on boards.ie, i have put it also in a couple of fb pages, i put it up in lostandfound.ie. I have made up signs with the pic of the dog and asking to contact the garda station i left it in this morning. My question is, is there anything else i can do??

I'm so afraid that the dog will not be claimed and put down to sleep. He's just a gorgeous, sweet thing but i can't keep him coz i already have 2 and they are not getting along with him at all.

I thought if the time's up and it's not claimed i could take him and bring him to some shelter but tried DSPCA and dogtrust and they won't take him. Who else could i contact who could take care of him if he's not claimed back?

Any suggestions?

PS- found it around Citywest area, dublin. Putting the pic here again just in case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

amira wrote: »
    Hi all,

I found a lovely dog yesterday. He played with my dogs on our walk and then he followed us home. I thought it was one of them that's just left out to walk themselves and he'll be back home so never thought twice of it, just went home with my 2 dogs.
    A few hours later the dog was still wondering around my house.
    I've never seen him before around, so being late at night and raining i just took him in. No collar no ID tag.
    This morning i took him to the vets and he's no microchip either.
    My husband took him to the garda station and they'll be in contact with the Dunboyne pound who'll come and get him.

I have put an add in the lost and found section here on boards.ie, i have put it also in a couple of fb pages, i put it up in lostandfound.ie. I have made up signs with the pic of the dog and asking to contact the garda station i left it in this morning. My question is, is there anything else i can do??

I'm so afraid that the dog will not be claimed and put down to sleep. He's just a gorgeous, sweet thing but i can't keep him coz i already have 2 and they are not getting along with him at all.

I thought if the time's up and it's not claimed i could take him and bring him to some shelter but tried DSPCA and dogtrust and they won't take him. Who else could i contact who could take care of him if he's not claimed back?

Any suggestions?

PS- found it around Citywest area, dublin. Putting the pic here again just in case.

There is a very good rescue that works with Dunboyne pound. They regularly post pictures of dogs in the pound and try to rehome any that are not claimed. I actually rehomed my last dog from this pound after seeing his picture posted by the rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Try this one as well if you haven't already?

http://www.facebook.com/LostFoundPetsIreland

Best of luck with it, he's a lovely looking animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

If you know any local vets that have Facebook pages, post a pic there too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Amira he is absolutely gorgeous!

Is it far from where you first saw him with your dogs to where you actually live? I'd go back to the first place you saw him and ask around the shops etc. if anyone knows of him. He may be out on his own sometimes or if he was dumped, he may have been straying around the area for a few days. Anyway, it might help.

TBH he looks to be in great condition, he's hair is so clean and he looks happy! There is the possibility that he was stolen from another town/county and dumped there. Is he nuetered? If so, he may have been stolen with the intent of breeding from him and dumped if he's nuetered. Just one of many possibilities. It's hard to believe nobody is looking for him...

And seriously, fair play for taking him in:)

The rescue that works with Dunboyne pound has him on their website already, so hopefully either his owner will be found or a home will be found for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

magentas wrote: »
    Amira he is absolutely gorgeous!

Is it far from where you first saw him with your dogs to where you actually live? I'd go back to the first place you saw him and ask around the shops etc. if anyone knows of him. He may be out on his own sometimes or if he was dumped, he may have been straying around the area for a few days. Anyway, it might help.

TBH he looks to be in great condition, he's hair is so clean and he looks happy! There is the possibility that he was stolen from another town/county and dumped there. Is he nuetered? If so, he may have been stolen with the intent of breeding from him and dumped if he's nuetered. Just one of many possibilities. It's hard to believe nobody is looking for him...

And seriously, fair play for taking him in:)

I was just in the field behind where i live when i saw him. I asked other people with dogs too if they saw him before.. Nobody in the area recognize them. I've put signs around the area and neighbor areas too. There's no shops around, only the shopping centre. I put a sign there too. The guy looked so well kept. I really hope the owners are doing as much as they can to find him. Like, first thing to do will be check the pounds, wouldnt it?

He is not neutered, btw, so the breeding theory doesnt seem to match here.

If the owners dont find him, i dont doubt he'll be rescued. Is the most adorable thing i've ever come across.. except one of my 2 ;)

Mo60 wrote: »
    The rescue that works with Dunboyne pound has him on their website already, so hopefully either his owner will be found or a home will be found for him.

Could you tell me the name of that rescue?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

PM sent

Could you tell me the name of that rescue?
    Thanks!

PM sent

Thanks everybody for your help!

I checked the pound website as they put up pictures also of the dogs collected and the date. There was another dog collected on the same day and his picture was on the site, but there was no pictures of the one i found so I rang the pound.
    My boy was reclaimed by the owners today and has been reunited with his family!!!

I'm SO happy i could cry!!! :D:D:D

Not that happy that i have to go later and remove all the posters i posted around.. Ah well, a minor detail! the important thing is that the lil fella is happy again!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Was this not him? http://environment.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=289&Itemid=288

Well done Amira, bet he's happy to be home. Hopefully his owners will get him a new tag and collar and have him chipped (and neutered) too.

Yes, that was him, but i couldn't see him on this
    http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/Environment/DogPound-Meath/

I sure hope the owners learnt the lesson and have him properly identified..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Thanks everybody for your help!

I checked the pound website as they put up pictures also of the dogs collected and the date. There was another dog collected on the same day and his picture was on the site, but there was no pictures of the one i found so I rang the pound.
    My boy was reclaimed by the owners today and has been reunited with his family!!!

I'm SO happy i could cry!!! :D:D:D

Not that happy that i have to go later and remove all the posters i posted around.. Ah well, a minor detail! the important thing is that the lil fella is happy again!! :D:D:D

Well done you for helping out that lovely dog, im so glad it worked out well for everybody :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I always wondered about this. Say this dog was microchipped, who reads it? how do they discern where the dog id from and who owns it? and how to contact them? if those things don't work, what is the point of microchipping?

never understood how that worked. is there a database with owners contact details somewhere? etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Yes, that was him, but i couldn't see him on this
    http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/Environment/DogPound-Meath/

I sure hope the owners learnt the lesson and have him properly identified..

That is because Dunboyne Pound is also the dog pound for South Dublin County strays and surrenders as well as those from Meath. Two seperate local authorities have dogs going to the same facility. Dun Laoighaire/Rathdown dogs also went there up until the start of Feb 2012 but have now been transfered back to Ashton Pound. The dog you found was picked up in South Dublin so won't have appeared on the Meath CoCo website as he is nothing to do with them. They only display strays and surrenders from Meath.

David, chip details are stored on a few databases in Ireland dependng on who produced the chip inserted, Fido and Animark being the largest I think. Anyone with a scanner can read a chip number but you have to be registered in order to access the details, for example as this dog was brought to the vet - the vet would scan and then be able to access the owners contact details. All pounds are also supposed to scan stray dogs coming in and they too would be able to access owner details. Rescues also scan dogs and can check for owner details too. Hope this clears things up.

Advertisement