Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with resigning correctly

Options
  • 11-04-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been lucky enough to go through a successful interview process and be offered a job in a new company.

I'm concerned about handing in my notice with my current employer however, and need some advice.

I have a remote manager, in a different country, to whom I have to hand my letter of resignation. Company policy is to provide this in writing. Is it safe to say that an email would be sufficient? Or is it better to attach the document to an email?

Also, I think it is only courteous that I set up a call with my manager, to convey the news over the phone. It is the closest to in person that we can do. Is this the done thing? I would feel weird just shooting off an email and leaving it at that.

I would of course be dreading this call in case they take the news badly, but I think it is better that I do it, in order to explain that I have no bad feelings, and that the move of companies is purely for personal reasons, and not professional.

Needless to say, I would like a good reference from them, and would hate to leave on bad terms, so I want to be sure I approach this with maturity and professionalism.

Has any one been in a similar situation, or have any advice? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Also, I think it is only courteous that I set up a call with my manager, to convey the news over the phone. It is the closest to in person that we can do. Is this the done thing?

Yes, I'd do this and then send the email after to confirm what you discussed on the phone.

Not sure if an attachment makes a difference one way or the other. I'd probably lean towards an attachment, but that could just be personal preference. Others might have different views.

Managers can take it personally, so be sure to thank them for the opportunity etc during the call (as well as in your letter). Might be no harm to copy HR in on the email too; or notify them in a separate email after, just so there's zero doubt about when you submitted it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

When I resigned from my last job thats waht I did. Call to manger in the US then email. Only difference is there was a HR person local to me who I told face to face then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Call then follow up with an email. No need to copy HR, your boss will notify them.

I'd just make sure your boss is first to get the news.

Is your new job with a competing company? If it is they might ask you to leave immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Call then follow up with an email. No need to copy HR, your boss will notify them.

Well, you don't want the boss to be sitting on it hoping they can sort something out.

Advertisement