Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What services/functions does this country lack

Options
  • 11-04-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this.

Im hoping to get the opinion of business owners etc on this one.

Do you find that there are services etc lacking in this country that would be benefical to your business.

If so, what are they? and do you know of any reason why it has never been addressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Government, local government and quangos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Rent a desk. I know there are a few places in Dublin that do this now, but they're very few and some of them are not that straight forward - aimed at 1st year start ups for example, or coupled with all sorts of extras such as a virtual office - and they cannot be found outside Dublin.

Big companies like Regus, who advertise a similar service heavily, are way over priced.

I'd like to see something simple - you rent one of 10 or so desks in an office, with an Internet connection, and nothing more. And I'd like to see this outside Dublin.

Broadband decoupled from a landline telephone. Yes, yes, UPC, but I'm referring to all the rest, who use telephone cable to deliver broadband. With voip now indistinguishable from landline, I'd like the option of paying less for no landline, and getting my own. Owning a telephone number in this way means it's very easy to move your number from one office to another, and back again. You could even take the number overseas if you were travelling.

A good Irish online business directory, listing Irish businesses that operate online, and are actually functional. By functional, I mean web based businesses that are active and earning money, as opposed to 2 month old websites that land RTE radio interviews but have no content, and nothing substantial to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Rent a desk. I know there are a few places in Dublin that do this now, but they're very few and some of them are not that straight forward - aimed at 1st year start ups for example, or coupled with all sorts of extras such as a virtual office - and they cannot be found outside Dublin.

Big companies like Regus, who advertise a similar service heavily, are way over priced.

I'd like to see something simple - you rent one of 10 or so desks in an office, with an Internet connection, and nothing more. And I'd like to see this outside Dublin.

Broadband decoupled from a landline telephone. Yes, yes, UPC, but I'm referring to all the rest, who use telephone cable to deliver broadband. With voip now indistinguishable from landline, I'd like the option of paying less for no landline, and getting my own. Owning a telephone number in this way means it's very easy to move your number from one office to another, and back again. You could even take the number overseas if you were travelling.

A good Irish online business directory, listing Irish businesses that operate online, and are actually functional. By functional, I mean web based businesses that are active and earning money, as opposed to 2 month old websites that land RTE radio interviews but have no content, and nothing substantial to offer.

very interesting ideas tbh.... anyone else have any input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Murphy9999 wrote: »
    (b) http://www.irishbusiness.ie/
    Quite fast search - been about for years.

Worthless, but thanks for trying. It contains businesses that gave been closed down for almost 10 years, and no businesses that have opened in the past two years. Basically, an online copy of the Golden Pages from 2001. Doesn't even have a section for eCommerce.

It's easy enough to find half hearted attempts, but none of them are up to date and relevant today.

Advertisement