Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rename Kenure Woods and turn it into a park??

Options
  • 11-04-2012 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

I took a stroll through Kenure Woods last week, apart from the spray painting and the empty beer bottles some of them Tesco own brand:mad: the woods themselves are only a very poor shadow of the woods of when I was a kid. Its impressive walking through the gates then it goes downhill quickly.The widening of the Park Road has decreased the side of the woods on one side removing some of the trees and its now a pretty open area with plenty of light. This might be a good thing in today's dangerous times but not so good for a woods or the flowers and ground plants you expect to see who function on lower light levels. The council attempted 20 or so years ago to plant some new trees but most of these seem to have failed or were removed. So should they just drop the Woods and try to turn the area into a park with flower beds retaining some of the trees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I can understand turning it into a park - or at least making it more of a public amenity - but why rename it? 'Kenure' is synonymous with Rush & especially that part of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I can understand turning it into a park - or at least making it more of a public amenity - but why rename it? 'Kenure' is synonymous with Rush & especially that part of town.

Its no longer a woods for one reason, in calling it a woods the council seems to be fooling itself that they only need to cut the grass and cut up the next tree that becomes unsafe. You still have Kenure Football pitches and Kenure graveyard over the other side of town and further up from the Woods we have Kenure Park and Kenure Lawns preserving the Kenure name. So if we dropped the woods we can't have two Kenure Parks so an alternative name is needed to avoid confusion. Why can't we have Lady Palmer Park? For people from the old Rush stock they will remember or heard of the May money and the Palmer donations to the church.

For a town synonymous with horticulture and flower growing there is a distinct lack of a park with flowers and plants like the Peoples Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

Its no longer a woods for one reason, in calling it a woods the council seems to be fooling itself that they only need to cut the grass and cut up the next tree that becomes unsafe. You still have Kenure Football pitches and Kenure graveyard over the other side of town and further up from the Woods we have Kenure Park and Kenure Lawns preserving the Kenure name. So if we dropped the woods we can't have two Kenure Parks so an alternative name is needed to avoid confusion. Why can't we have Lady Palmer Park? For people from the old Rush stock they will remember or heard of the May money and the Palmer donations to the church.

For a town synonymous with horticulture and flower growing there is a distinct lack of a park with flowers and plants like the Peoples Park.

I think that's a great idea to develop it more as a park. In fact, you may have noticed that some people already use it as somewhere to have a picnic or bring the kids to play. I've seen them myself when passing by.

It'll be hard to convince the Parks people in the council though. They have a strange outlook when it comes to utilising amenities like that. On the one hand they like to promote passive surveillance by increasing the through put of pedestrian and cycle traffic in an area with incentives like seating etc. Then on the other hand, they don't like to do anything where there isn't already enough passive surveillance, as they see it.

There is a massive number of teens in Rush and they need to be occupied. I know people may say that's no excuse for vandalism etc but it's the reality. Hopefully that will be addressed soon when the Youth Café eventually opens.

I know for a fact that FCC Parks Dept turned down the opportunity to put a Play Lot (small playground) into Kenure Woods. You would think something like that would displace an antisocial element, due to the passive surveillance it would bring. The Parks guys didn't think it would be a good idea. Go figure.

Good idea though. I'd love to see it happen. If you want to do something to move it along, I'd be happy to help you try do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I took a stroll through Kenure Woods last week, apart from the spray painting and the empty beer bottles some of them Tesco own brand:mad: the woods themselves are only a very poor shadow of the woods of when I was a kid. Its impressive walking through the gates then it goes downhill quickly.The widening of the Park Road has decreased the side of the woods on one side removing some of the trees and its now a pretty open area with plenty of light. This might be a good thing in today's dangerous times but not so good for a woods or the flowers and ground plants you expect to see who function on lower light levels. The council attempted 20 or so years ago to plant some new trees but most of these seem to have failed or were removed. So should they just drop the Woods and try to turn the area into a park with flower beds retaining some of the trees?

I think that area needs to be re invented ok but I dont think a name change will make any difference. I agree with you This was a wonderful area 30 years ago with plenty of wild flowers and prettty dense forestry but they done very little to encourage or maintain it.

The Tidy towns tackled a fair bit of the woods on Saturday and hopefully this will be the start of a bright future for the area.

My suggestion for that area would be thin out the dense part of the woods and put in a wide enough path around the park for buggies to be pushed and it would be a good spot for a meet and train jogging group. It would not cost a huge amount of money and a lot of people would get use from it.
    I think that's a great idea to develop it more as a park. In fact, you may have noticed that some people already use it as somewhere to have a picnic or bring the kids to play. I've seen them myself when passing by.

It'll be hard to convince the Parks people in the council though. They have a strange outlook when it comes to utilising amenities like that. On the one hand they like to promote passive surveillance by increasing the through put of pedestrian and cycle traffic in an area with incentives like seating etc. Then on the other hand, they don't like to do anything where there isn't already enough passive surveillance, as they see it.

I know for a fact that FCC Parks Dept turned down the opportunity to put a Play Lot (small playground) into Kenure Woods. You would think something like that would displace an antisocial element, due to the passive surveillance it would bring. The Parks guys didn't think it would be a good idea. Go figure.

Good idea though. I'd love to see it happen. If you want to do something to move it along, I'd be happy to help you try do it.

I think a lot of people are thinking along the same lines on this. A public meeting I think could be called in the near future and perhaps to build on the good vibes around the town a concerted effort could then be made to make the area more user friendly.

I am not so sure it would be a great area for a playground. The anti social behaviour/underage drinking will hinder it. I dont know where would be a good spot, maybe the front part of the park at the harbour?
    There is a massive number of teens in Rush and they need to be occupied. I know people may say that's no excuse for vandalism etc but it's the reality. Hopefully that will be addressed soon when the Youth Café eventually opens..

Absoloutley no excuse for the vandalism around the town. Its a reality that there is a small minority causing mayhem and until they are tackled by the law, or their parents fined it wont change. Its old ground we have gone over before but there is plenty for the youth to do in Rush if people and I mean mainly parents make it happen.

Advertisement