Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is Pollaturick?

Options
  • 10-04-2012 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

Reading from the 1901 Census, Does anyone know, where the Railway would have passed through Addergoole/Milltown?

And/or in Milltown, is there a terrace of 17 houses built prior to 1901, including an old railway house?

The 1901 census detals it as Tuam, Milltown, Dunmore, Addergoole, Pollaturick.

Does this row of houses still exist?

Thanks

Mod Note: Threads Merged - Post 4 has further info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Hey Yeah Yeah Yeah, sounds like you are looking for a resource like this, from the OSI, historical maps etc.

You can see the railway passing through Tuam here. I am not that familiar with the area or the townlands you mention but these maps are fantastic and you should have no problem finding what you are looking for. You can also overlap the maps, to compare older maps with current ones.

OSI Historical Maps

Maybe someone from the area could also help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Thanks Hoody : )

Hi all:

(Mods hope this is OK as its a refinement of previous thread).

In the 1901 Irish Census there were 103 people living in Pollaturick, Milltown.

A farming community with a railway and/or railway house (probably) close by?

Does Pollaturick still exist, or is it now part of Milltown?

Thanks...

Below is from the national archives.

Standard Name:
    Pollaturick

Irish Form of Name:
    Poll a Tiuiric
    Translation:
    hole of noise (local)

Parish:
    Addergoole
    View all place names in this civil parish.

Other Forms of the Name with the authority source (if provided) in italics.

Pollaturick
    Poll a Tiuiric
    Poulaturrick By. S. S. Map
    Poulatura Larkin’s Co. Map of Galway
    Pullaturick Pat Grady (Miller)

Comment:
    Description:
    The property of C. Clarke, Esq., Dublin. It contains 261¾ acres statute measure including about 70 acres of bog.

Situation:
    In the W. extremity of the parish, bounded on the N. by Killearneen, on the E. by Gurtnaloura, on the S. by Ummeracly East and on the W. by the parish of Lissgeevy.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Pollaturick looks like its still next to the original railway station of Milltown.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.616365,-8.916736&spn=0.014689,0.042272&t=h&z=15

Thanks Aido.

Do you know the area? You mentioned the original railway station. That's really what I'm trying to trace.

Is it still there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

I'm not from the area but Google maps shows it below. The station is still there.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.616632,-8.913817&spn=0.000025,0.019205&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.616761,-8.917744&panoid=nAxnHAUPjxhZ8OqA9MtqSQ&cbp=12,309.46,,0,3.39

I doubt there was a terrace of 17 houses around there at any stage. If it was in the middle of a town then maybe but its in the middle of the country side. I would think the 17 houses on the census would be "neighbours" around the area. If you look up the OS map Hoody linked, Click on the Historic 25 legend button on the right, zoom in to tuam and follow the railway north to Milltown station, there is a black dotted line around the Pollaturick area. There looks like 15 or 16 buildings within this boundary, which might be the 17 houses listed on the census. This OS map was created between 1888 and 1913 so some buildings may not be on this map that are on the census.

Thanks Aido, I'd say you are right. I was thrown a bit by the census which made the houses look uniform in terms of walls, rooms and windows.

The census classifications for rooms as "2", could mean that there could have been 2, 3 or 4 rooms. Room classfication "3" means there could have been 5or 6 rooms and so on. I'll know for next time.

Also houses are roofed by either thatch or wood, and not slate (as would be likely with a terrace).

Theres an 18th house which is a public house, but again, prb a traditional stone built house with a licence.

Thanks for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Thanks Aido.

Do you know the area? You mentioned the original railway station. That's really what I'm trying to trace.

Is it still there?

Yes,it's still there.I pass by it regularly.I'll find out about those houses for you in the next few days.

hiscan wrote: »
    Yes,it's still there.I pass by it regularly.I'll find out about those houses for you in the next few days.

Hi Hiscan.

I think we have pretty much established as far as we can, and as Aido commented, that the houses were dispersed over the small townland of Pollaturick, comprising of 17 houses and one pub. All the 17 houses have thatched or wooden roofs, so prb small stone built dwellings.

Amazing to see that the old Signal box and railway crossing is still there.

Oh I tell you what, if its not going out of your way, it would be great to know which house in that area was owned by the Great Southern and Western Railway as occupied by the "Station Agent" prb Signal Man.

It might be the one on the road opposite the signal box by the abandoned railway, which has stickers in the window and looks like it might have been a pub....come to think of it, that might have been the pub in the 1901 census!! as it was on the road....lightbulb coming on moment there : ).

<Mod snip at the request of the poster>
    Cheers Hiscan....Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

The pub is now derelict but was open up to the 1980s and known as the blue pig. its near the harty transport just a little further up the road the remains of the old railway station remain

• Advertisement

red bull wrote: »
    The pub is now derelict but was open up to the 1980s and known as the blue pig. its near the harty transport just a little further up the road the remains of the old railway station remain

Thanks Red Bull.

I've found the publican in Pollaturick in 1901. Another person. So probably privately owned and not connected to the GS&W Railway.

Great info about the railway station, I've only been able to spot what appears to be the signal box by the side of the disused rail track on google maps.

Thanks for that.

Advertisement