Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Tall To Run

Options
  • 11-04-2012 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Been lurking here for a while so decided to give a training log a bash. I’m brutal at keeping a physical training diary up to date & seeing as spend most of the day in front of a PC this might be easier. Any comments/criticisms are welcome.

Bit of background first I suppose.

Tried to start running what seems like years ago and never really got going as I kept picking up niggles. Finally got a physio who pinpointed exactly where the problem lay and managed to get me out running & enjoying it. That was probably a year and half ago. Since then I started off running twice a week, doing an interval set one night with the running club and then a longer run on the other night.

Done my first 5K in March last year and ran it in about 22-23 minutes. Done a 10K 2 weeks later and managed that in 48 minutes. Happy with how things were going I decided to sign up for a half marathon and started running 3 days a week. Surprised myself and ran it in 1:43.

Had said all along I wouldn’t do a marathon in my first year of proper running but I got swept up in it as a few others in the club were training for Dublin. Done the race series and was happy with how they went but had a tough DCM.

Was hoping to do 3:45 – 4 hours. But got sick in the lead up to it, turned up and ran as if I was 100% (I wasn’t), started to slow up by mile 15. Mile 18 legs cramping like crazy. Had a few “will I pull out” moments before just putting the head down and managed to walk/run to the finish for a time of 4:08. Sore as hell but delighted I didn’t quit.

This year the goals are a 35min 5 Mile in race series; sub 45 min 10K and a sub 1:40 Half.

PB’s
    5K 22/23 mins (Chip didn’t register)
    5 Mile 37:15
    10K 48:12
    10 Mile 1:16:14
    Half 1:43:05
    Marathon 4:08:58

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

Good luck with the log. I started mine for similar reasons. How tall are you as a matter of interest? You're never too tall to run!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Cheers Lock. I'm only 6'3.

The log name came from a debate a while back about about running. Was told that all the best runners in the world were short & that I was too tall to ever be any good at running. I just had to nod & smile politely. I have no ambitions to be winning medals, just enjoy running.

Into week 2 of 10K plan.

Last week: 2 x interval sessions, a 7 mile & a 5 mile. Total for week: 20 miles

This week:
    Tuesday: Interval session
    Wednesday: Rest (supposed to be 4-6 miles, didn't manage to get out, will swap out Friday rest day instead)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Good luck with the log, its a great way to get advice from the lads here who have been running for years and to get encouragement when needed.
    You have great times there so keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

antomagoo wrote: »

The log name came from a debate a while back about about running. Was told that all the best runners in the world were short & that I was too tall to ever be any good at running. I just had to nod & smile politely. I have no ambitions to be winning medals, just enjoy running.

The World and Olympic 1500 champ is 6'2 so you are in good company!

Been involved in this conversation before. Best guys in the world have tended to be shorter (especially in the marathon) but if you want to be the best in Ireland, you have to beat Joe Sweeney at 6'3-6'4. Mark Kenneally is a big guy at 6 foot plus. So is Tom Chamney over the shorter distances and Ciaran O'Connell before him. Check out 12.55 5K American Chris Solinskey at 6'1 too - he is a unit.

As a fellow 6'2 man, best of luck with the log!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

Well I'm glad you knew they were talking out of their short arses. I'm 6 foot 3 myself. Look up an Aussie by the name of Craig Mottram. Runs rings around the small Africans and he's 6'3 as far as I know.

Week 2 Run 2
    Managed to get out last night eventually. Didn’t get going though till near 10. Was in 2 minds whether to go out or not as was feeling tired. Was determined to go out as I hate missing a planned run.

Had an interval session planned for earlier, thinking it was too late I decided to just go for an easy 4 miles. But by the time I got my gear on I said f*ck it and decided to do the planned session. So ran around in the dark doing intervals late at night, not sure if that was the right thing to do but I had it in the head from yesterday morning what I wanted to do so just got on with it.

Session: 1.5 Mile warm-up + 4 x strides, 4x 200m (30 sec rest), 4 x 1:00 (Lactate threshold runs), 3:30 recovery jog, 1 mile cool down

Miles for week so far: 8.6

Week 2 Run 3

5.5 Miles + 6 x 100m strides

Felt sluggish & sloppy but looking back at the garmin, average pace was 8:13min/mile & last mile was 7:49. Quicker than I thought I was going.

Week 2 Run 4

10 Miles. Avg 8:33/mile HR 141

Wanted to keep HR below 140 but ended up pushing it on the 3 hills on the route. Legs feeling a bit heavy, maybe due to 1st week of the year getting out for more than 3 times.

Total for Week 24.1

10K Plan Week 3 Run 1

2 Mile warm up followed by interval session.

Supposed to do 2 Mile cool down + strides but didnt leave myself enough time tonight. Calves are going to hate me tomorrow. Better than the wife hating me :D

Total for week so far: 6 Miles

• Advertisement

10K Plan Week 3 Run 2

Wednesday night 4 miles in 30 mins. Left the HRM off. Quicker pace than regular runs but still 15-20 sec/mile slower than planned race pace.

Total for week so far: 10 Miles

10K Plan Week 3 Run 3

6.6 Miles
    2 Mile W/U + 4 x 200m (30 sec recovery) + 4 x 1:00min Lactate Threshold (3:30 rec) + 4 x 200m (30 sec rec) + 1 Mile C/D

Total for week so far 16.6 Miles

10K Plan Week 3 Run 4

Nice easy 7 miles with the club. Maybe a little too easy but legs heavy after the 3 nights during the week so no harm.

Total for week so far 23.6 Miles

10K Plan Week 3 Run 5

11 Miles 8:38/mile avg. HR 138 avg

Another easy one today but quicker than yesterday. Legs came to life at mile 6 and pace picked up without increase in effort.

Happy to get first 5 day week in this year.

Total for Week 3 34.6 Miles

10K Plan Week 4

Tuesday: Didn't get to do planned session due to work. Ended up doing 1 Mile W/U + 5 x 400m (200m recovery) + 1 Mile C/D. Pushed the 400m harder than normal to make up for missing planned session (right or wrong?)

Wednesday: Plan was for 4-6 miles but got sent away with work & I take it that pints watching the match don't count as a substitute :o

Total for week so far: 3.5miles (approx)

Week 4 Runs 2 & 3

Thursday: 1.5 Mile W/U + 5 x 1:00 LT (3:00 rec) + 1 Mile C/D + 6x100m Strides

Saturday: Easy 3.5 Mile trail run

Doing the 10K in Dublin tomorrow night, not the focus of the plan but I'll give it a lash & see where I'm at

Total for week so far: 11.8 Miles

Week 4 Run 4

Run Dublin @ Night 10K 45:28 (chip time)

Was in no mood for this come Sunday evening given the weather, but decided to go ahead & do it.

It was a good course but a bit narrow in parts & got slowed up in the congestion once or twice. Would have only been an issue if I was really going for it. Went out a bit too conservatively for the first half before deciding to get on with & push on. HRM strap kept slipping & had to take it off about mile & half in as it was getting on my nerves. Finished comfortably and a PB by nearly 3 minutes.

Splits:
    Mile 1 07:35
    Mile 2 07:32
    Mile 3 07:22
    Mile 4 07:18
    Mile 5 07:14
    Mile 6 07:01
    0.2 01:20

On a good day would hope to knock another good bit off the time. Not sure if I can hit 35min for the Terenure 5 mile though. Low mileage this for this week.

Total for week 4: 18 Miles

Week 5 Run 1

1 Mile W/U + 2 x 400m (1:00 min rec) + 800m (1:30 rec) + 200m (0:30 rec) + 800m + 1 mile C/D

Would liked to have had time for an extra mile each side of the session + strides.

Total for week so far: 3.6 Miles

Week 5 Run 2

5 miles @ 8:00/mile avg. Comfortable run. 2 hours later legs feeling a little jaded despite taking yesterday off.

Total for week so far: 8.6 Miles

Week 6 Run 1

Well last week was a disaster. Ended up getting nasty stomach bug and sick since last Friday.

Tonight was 1st night out in 7 days. 5 miles, first 2 easy & then picked up.

Confidence for Terenure 5 on Sunday not great.

Total for Week 5 Miles

• Advertisement

Week 6 Run 2

3 miles relatively easy + 6 x 100m strides

Total for week so far 8 Miles

I've let this slide, but comes from having a new baby in the house I suppose :p

Ran the Terenure 5 Mile in just under 34:56 a PB by over 2 mins :D
    1 goal for this year was to run 35:xx so well happy to go under 35 (if only just)

Missus then had baby few days later & training has been very sporadic since then.

Managed 2 x 5 Mile runs last week with night of intervals (800m)

This week only out once, 5miles on Thursday

Any advice on how to keep up training with a new baby in the house will be greatly appreciated :confused:

Sunday (01/07)

6 miles
    First 3 in 8:00-8:20 pace
    Second 3 in 7:40-8:00 pace

Groin bothering me a small bit, more of a niggle & seems worse when I'm not running.

Tuesday (03/07)

1/2 mile W/U
    5 x 800m
    1/2 mile C/D

Groin again ok while running but started bothering me in the evening.

Feel form is suffering a bit due to reduced training over last 5-6 weeks

Thursday (05/07)

Early morning run, 7.7 miles @ 8:28 pace. Longest run in kinvaras so far, legs feeling tired towards end of run

Sunday (08/07)

6 Miles @ 8:25 pace, feeling very tired after 2 late nights & the most beer I've had all year.

Total for week 17 miles

Tuesday (10/07)

Pyramid set. 1,200 (3:00min rec), 800 (2:00), 400 (1:00), 400 (1:00), 800. Bit annoyed as session got interrupted. 2.75 miles total.

Wednesday (11/07)

Decided to do a quick one as Tuesday session was cut short. 4 miles @ 7:39 pace

Thursday (12/07)

Another nice quick one, 3.65 miles @ 7:33 pace.

Total for week so far: 10.4 miles

Sunday (15/07)

10 Miles @ avg 9:11

Took till the 5 mile mark to get comfortable running today. Average slower than I would have liked but I was keeping to a low HR. Just glad to get out & get to 10, been a bit of a mental barrier.

Total for week 20.4

Tuesday (17/07)

Club 1 Mile TT. 6:07 for this & a PB by by 13 23 seconds, so well happy.

Thursday (19/07)

A very uneventful 4.5 mile club run. First half very slooooow, 2nd half very quick

Calves very tight, may need to invest in foam roller.

Sunday (22/07)

Fingal 10K 45:16

PB by 12 seconds but I did not enjoy this one bit.

Only got late entry as a mate couldn't do it. Not sure if the effort from the mile TT was still in the legs, the inconsistency in training or the heat played a part, probably all of the above, but I died from about the 2 mile mark.

Went off at a fairly reasonable pace. Got a stitch around 3.5K which didn't clear till about 8K. The 4th to 5th miles were brutal, pace wise, just couldn't get the legs to turn. Coming into the finish I didn't even have a sprint in the legs. I don't think I have ever sweated so much either, I was soaking at the end.

Chalk it down to experience I suppose. Bit of a tweak in the left calf the last 2 days so will probably not do a whole lot this week till that passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

I've let this slide, but comes from having a new baby in the house I suppose :p

Ran the Terenure 5 Mile in just under 34:56 a PB by over 2 mins :D
    1 goal for this year was to run 35:xx so well happy to go under 35 (if only just)

Missus then had baby few days later & training has been very sporadic since then.

Managed 2 x 5 Mile runs last week with night of intervals (800m)

This week only out once, 5miles on Thursday

Any advice on how to keep up training with a new baby in the house will be greatly appreciated :confused:

With 4 kids in the house myself I know how you feel- buy a cheap treadmill on donedeal, at least if your needed at home you can jump on the treadmill instead of heading off on a run

Trig1 wrote: »
    With 4 kids in the house myself I know how you feel- buy a cheap treadmill on donedeal, at least if your needed at home you can jump on the treadmill instead of heading off on a run

The problem then becomes, "where do you think thats going to go?" :rolleyes:

Already have my eyes on a running buggy for when the little one gets a little bigger

• Advertisement

Thursday 02/08

Easy 5 mile club run. First run since last Thursday. Feel a bit better after Tuesdays abandoned session & having not got out at the weekend.

Starting to think the sub 1:40 half is out the window for this year. Might try go for a 42:xx 10K instead. Just means back to 2 sessions of intervals a week, which I would be dreading.

Advertisement