Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Tall To Run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Tuesday 07/08

1/2 mile W/U, 4 x 1 Mile at target HM pace (7:35) with 400m recovery jog

Thursday 09/08

1 Mile W/U + 3 Mile @ HM pace

Didnt manage to get out at the weekend, not a great start to HM training.

Monday 13/08

Snuck out for 4 miles. Left the watch at home for once and felt great just running without checking pace, HR every few minutes.

Tuesday 14/08
    2 days in a row, something not right here.

1/2 Mile W/U, 4 x 1 mile @ HM pace with 400m recovery jogs. 5 x 200m at 5k pace with 100m recovery. C/D was walking the dog :o

Thursday

1 Mile W/U, 3 Miles @ HM pace, 400m recovery, 2 x 800m @ 10K pace, 200m recovery. 1 mile C/D

Really enjoyed this session, despite the wind & rain and being on my own on the track.

Rathfarnham 5k

Only my 2nd 5K but was really looking forward to it despite the poor form & lack of training in the last few weeks.

Was a bit early turning up for this so after picking up race number decide to run the course as a warm-up. Hill into Terenure was nothing to be getting excited about compared to the roads around west wicklow :D so was wasnt too worried. Templeogue Road not as bad a rise as I was expecting.

Warm-Up done and still time to kill, so more warming up with some strides and trying to keep warm.

Lined up at the front of the "Over 19mins" wave, but as the gun went off & we headed towards the start line I found myself slipping back into the crowd. In fairness it didn't take long to get some space & half a mile in I looked at the watch to see the pace was @ 6:30/mile, thinking this was too quick I slowed up and went through the first mile in 6:46. Plan beforehand was to go through in 6:50-7:00 so was happy enough & felt comfortable.

Up into Terenure & onto the Templeogue road & I started to ease up as I didn't want to blow up before the last mile, probably a bit too conservative in my approach here but I'll put it down to lack of experience. One or two people came past me at the bottom of Templeogue Road but towards the top they seemed to blow up, exactly what I didn't want to happen. Through mile 2 in 6:54 but still quite comfortable and still passing people out all the time.

Once past Terenure College decide to push on to the finish, managed 6:29 for mile 3 & finished in a time of 20:50, PB by nearly 2 minutes :D

Very happy with it, although I think I did run a bit too conservatively & would like to think I'll break 20mins early enough next year. Galway 10K up next & hopefully a 42:xx - 43:xx

Thursday 27/09

1st run since the 5 k on Sunday and not sure what I was at but I'll blame it on stressful week in work & lack of sleep.

No plan for the run but felt I should do something speed wise with the 10K next week. So just headed off around the track, after a mile picked the pace up, felt like sh!t, so slowed up after a mile. Then decided to do some 400m intervals, got 2 in & gave up. Head wrecked, just ran around for a 3rd mile & headed home.

Wasted session. Should have left the watch at home & just went out for an hour. Good lesson in making sure each run has a purpose be it planned session or just getting out for a few miles, no making it up on the fly.

Galway Bay 10K

Cracking morning in Galway for this, but race prep didn't get off to a great start. Bugger all sleep in the hotel as the baby decided that staying away from home was reason enough to stay up all night. Breakfast was a hurried few slices of toast with baby in lap before heading into the race.

Met up with another club member who travelled down also and went for a very quick warm-up before lining up.

Not as many running the 10K as there was running the half so congestion at the start wasn't really an issue. Ran the first mile in 7:03 and fearing I had gone off to quick eased up for the 2nd mile through salthill and people started to come past me. Kept the same pace for the 3rd mile as we headed towards the turn to come back along the promenade. First thought as we turned was, jaysus this place would be great for a holiday if we got this weather all summer. Realising I was probably getting a little complacent I decide to push on just as we hit the 5K mark.

The view over the bay coming back in was fantastic, sun-shining & not a breeze, on a wet & windy day this route would have been hardship. Started passing out some of the runners who passed me in the first half. And just as I thought it was a straight run to the finish, there's a marshal sending us up nemos pier. I wasn't expecting it, own fault for not checking the route out before hand, but the up and down the straight pier messed with the head a little. Especially the tight turn around the cones, slowing down to turn & getting the momentum going again so late in a race is not ideal. No sign of the 8K marker either. After the turn on the pier I just put the head down and got in in 44:06. Not the 43:xx I was hoping for but still another PB by 1:10. If I hadn't slowed up for miles 2 & 3, 43:xx was definitely on, once again lack of experience & lack of confidence. But still a good day out, the couple of pints of Galway Hooker were very nice afterwards too :D

2 Rules I have come away with from the weekend.
    #1. Don't take a baby to a race you have to stay overnight for.
    #2. Remember rule #1

Splits:
    Mile 1: 7:03
    Mile 2: 7:16
    Mile 3: 7:18
    Mile 4: 7:04
    Mile 5: 6:57
    Mile 6: 6:54
    Last Bit: 1:34

Thursday 11/10

Hopped in with marathon training group for the last 4 miles of their run, nice & easy pace. Went back to the glycerins as feet were a bit sore after the 10k at the weekend in the kinvaras.

• Advertisement

Saturday 13/10

5K trail run with the dog, interrupted briefly as I waited around for her to come back from chasing deer, wouldn't mind but the fat lump couldn't catch a cold :rolleyes:

Well this logging business hasn't gone too well. Either has the running tbh, got out very little towards the end of last year. but New Years resolution was to get back into things & I've not done too badly apart from last week & this week as I've had a chest infection. The most consistent I've been in a while, no speed work done but LSR is up to 11 miles.

Despite the chest infection I decided to do the 5K run last Saturday. And despite no speed work this year, came in at 20:17, up on Rathfarnham last year by 33 seconds so very happy with that. Will definitely go under 20 with some specific speed work and feeling 100& on the day.Target for this year is still 1:3x for the half.

A very wet & windy uneventful 4 miles.

Total for week: 4 miles

Sunday 24/03 6.5 Miles Total for week 10.5
    Very little mileage for the week due to chest infection

Tuesday 26/03 4.5 Miles, alternating 400m @ 5K pace with 800m recovery
    400m were at just faster than 5K pace, 800m recoveries probably a little too long

Friday 29/03 9 miles; 8:00avg pace

Lovely crisp morning for a run around the lakes. Took it nice & handy. Avg pace is getting quicker without increase in effort, just need to start introducing in some quality to the training.

• Advertisement

Saturday 30/03

5 miles @ 7:56 avg

Legs felt a little tired today & calves feel tight, might rest tomorrow and head out Monday for long run.

Total for week 18.5 miles

Decided late in the day to do this and seeing as it was the county championships I thought it would be good to get some club representation at it :pac:

Only got about 2K of a warm-up in before the start and was surprised to see so many running. Regretted forgetting to pack club top with everyone else decked out in their club gear.

I was familiar enough with the route as I used to cycle it all the time as a young fella. Started off reasonably well and felt comfortable until just before the 1K mark where the course opened up & the head wind hit. Slowed right up from here to the turn. Not encouraged by the sight of Krusty Clown tearing down the far side of the road and looking very relaxed in 2nd place!!!

After the turn the tail wind did help but felt like I lost allot trying to keep the pace up into the head wind. Started to take encouragement from the fact that no one had passed me & I was starting to catch & pass a good few in front of me. Waited till the 4K before trying to hammer home and suffered as I approached the finish, on seeing the clock I knew the sub 20 was not going to happen but kept pushing to finish in 20:12, PB by 5 seconds.

Splits
    KM 1 4:05
    KM 2 4:18
    KM 3 4:16
    KM 4 3:55
    KM 5 3:35

Felt like the head wind cost me the sub 20, I know there was a tail wind back in but allot of effort expended into wind that I don't know if really equalled out.

Really enjoyed the evening, first time entering an event like this & for €8 the organisers would put allot of big money events to shame. Well done to Ashford AC for a great spread afterwards.

Might try for the sub 20 at the Tallaght AC 5K in May. Really starting to enjoy the 5K as a distance and might be getting a little obsessional about it.

Calfs quite sore today as is the left hip, I'm going to put some of it down to not doing a great warm-up. But there is also something postural that I need to get sorted. Also wore the racing flats again, which I might park for a while as I'm not sure if I'm getting any advantage out of them in the trade off for sore calfs.

Going to take a few days to let hip settle & try get some long runs in at the weekend.

Done bugger all running since the 5K in Wicklow as was suffering quite a bit with my left hip flexer so decided rest was probably the wisest thing. Managed to do 4 Miles the week after the 5K but again the hip was bothering so I cut the session short.

Decided on the Saturday morning to do the K Club race haven't been rested up for over a week. Was a bit sceptical as to how I'd go as I've done no 10K specific work and only easy miles for most of the year.

Started off pretty well, (some girl in a boardsie t-shirt tore past me in the 1st K:D) and a quick look at the watch showed I had gone off probably a little too fast. The 2nd K I eased it up a bit but not too much and the paced eased off naturally with the headwind for the 3rd K. By 5 K I had picked up the pace again and felt comfortable but into the headwind for the 2nd time I started to tire. Tried to tell myself it would be grand once we hit the 6K mark and were heading back around but by 7K I knew I hadn't got the legs and suffered from 8K to the finish with people constantly passing me out. Watch showed 43:22, official time is 43:32, so PB by 30 seconds, which given the fact I've not been consistent in training I'm happy enough but I know if I put the head down I could run much quicker.

Great spread put on after and a great atmosphere on the day. Left hip didn't cause me any problems and it was the right hip flexer that started to bother me towards the end :rolleyes: Legs have been very heavy & sore since Saturday, I'm half contemplating the RTE 5 Mile this weekend but I think some focus on training might be better than racing for the next few weeks & I'll try for sub 20 at the Tallaght 5K.

Head is wrecked, only managed 5 miles yesterday as hips & calves started to really bother me, dont know whats going on. Went to the physio friday & he said it was just tightness so he loosened me out but even today just doing day to day stuff it's bothering me. Might have to switch away from the Kinvaras, although I've been wearing them for nearly a year with no issue. Need to just to some stretching to loosen up & might try some easy miles over next few days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Good man Anto! This is AB from the Club! :)

5 Miles yesterday, no issue with the calves but left glute gets sore after a couple of miles. Wore the Glycerines for a change to rule out the kinvaras being an issue, they felt like 2 lumps of cement compared to the kinvaras

antomagoo wrote: »
    5 Miles yesterday, no issue with the calves but left glute gets sore after a couple of miles. Wore the Glycerines for a change to rule out the kinvaras being an issue, they felt like 2 lumps of cement compared to the kinvaras

Have you got the Kinvara 3? I just got a pair love them on first use!

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Have you got the Kinvara 3? I just got a pair love them on first use!

No I'm wearing the Kinvara 2. Take it easy for the first few runs as you'll feel it in the calves with the lower heel to toe drop, but they are well worth it when you get going, cant see myself ever going back to the heavier trainers. Kinvara 4 out this weekend, might have to sneak them into the house ;)

I heard there is not much difference between the 3-4. The 3 is €80 in AK. :)

I had used the five fingers so hopefully the switch keeps going well.

4 miles easy tonight. Back in the Kinvaras, left glute didn't really bother me but right was niggling from the word go. More stretching required. Gonna knock the sub 20 attempt in Tallaght on the head, need to get the body right first.

• Advertisement

4 miles easy tonight. Back in the Kinvaras, left glute didn't really bother me but right was niggling from the word go. More stretching required. Gonna knock the sub 20 attempt in Tallaght on the head, need to get the body right first.

Good to see you out. That was me beeping you at the roundabout!

5.5 - 6 Miles tonight (no watch). Felt really good, no issue with the hips until the last 3rd & the left started bothering me. Not sure whether to keep running or rest up till I get it looked at.

4-5 mile trail run along the lake, lovely evening for it despite threat of rain. Took it handy as I had to keep waiting for the dog to check her p-mail. Right glute was niggling, left was fine. Wore the glycerines as they're the closest thing I have to a trail shoe.

Friday & Saturday runs scuppered by teething, so was feeling antsy heading out this evening. Left the Garmin at home again as I'm liking the runs without it, too much time spent looking at it. 6 miles approx. in 47 mins, bit quicker than I had planned but no effort involved so went with it, no niggles or complaints from the hips, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Friday & Saturday runs scuppered by teething, so was feeling antsy heading out this evening. Left the Garmin at home again as I'm liking the runs without it, too much time spent looking at it. 6 miles approx. in 47 mins, bit quicker than I had planned but no effort involved so went with it, no niggles or complaints from the hips, happy days

Are you getting your wisdom teeth :D

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Are you getting your wisdom teeth :D

It would be bell of a lot less painful if it was me, I'd probably get more running in too :-)

Tuesday 14/05
    4-5 miles easy run with club, pace around 8:30 to 9 min/miles.

Thursday 16/05
    4 miles. Pace was just under 8 min/miles, no watch, but was only out for half hour. No issues with legs / hips, so presuming new runners are making a difference and the old ones are probably past their sell by. Would love to give Terenure a shot on Sunday but really don't feet race fit.

I tend to stay away from boards when my running is not going well, but I'm starting to get some consistency going so I'm skulking back around. :o

After blowing up towards the end of the 10K in the K Club I was determined to try and pace this one right.

Mile 1: Downhill at the start and the usual race adrenaline had me going off a bit quick so slowed it down. Through the 1st mile in 6:46, quicker than I had planned so put the brakes on slightly.

Mile 2: Still feeling very comfortable but had slowed up and went through mile 2 in 6:54.

Mile 3: Kept the pace consistent for this mile, another 6:54. I was starting to pass people all the time now, even someone in a Boards tee, gave him some encouragement, hope it didn't come across as patronising.

Mile 4: I had decided before hand to start putting the foot down once I hit the 4 mile mark, and stuck to that as I was still feeling strong & relaxed. Really enjoying the run at this stage and picked the pace up to 6:41. Some of this was due to tucking in behind a faster runner who went past me. Panicked a bit though and decided to let him go as I felt he was going a little too quick for me.

Mile 5: Head wind got me here & paced slowed right down and only managed 7:02 for this mile & the old fear started to creep in that I was going to blow up.

Mile 6: Decided to give it everything form here & I say I looked a right sight, breathing like an asthmatic with my tongue hanging out :o 6:39 for this mile and I was hanging on.

Last Bit: Was really struggling to keep going but quite happy to see 42:xx on the clock, but also a little disappointed as I thought I might sneak in under 42.

Overall I'm happy with the result, 55 seconds quicker than the K Club, with only marginally more consistency in training.

Well done Anto! Good to see you out and about.

• Advertisement

Monday Rest

Tuesday Feeling tired after Saturdays race but decided to give interval session a go. Plan was to do 8-10 x 400's in 1:28 or thereabouts with 1:20 recovery.

1.5 mile W/U followed by stretching & a few strides.

1st 2 reps were surprisingly quick given how I was feeling, but on the last bend of the 7th rep the legs failed me & I left it at 7 reps.

Rep 1: 1:21
    Rep 2: 1:22
    Rep 3: 1:27
    Rep 4: 1:27
    Rep 5: 1:23
    Rep 6: 1:24
    Rep 7: 1:30

1.5 mile C/D

Wednesday Very easy & very slow recovery run, had to drag myself around 4 miles in 37:36

Advertisement