Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Tall To Run

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Well this didn't go to plan at all. Laid low with a bad sinus headache on Sunday I was already contemplating not doing this. Up early Monday morning and headache still there but not as bad so decided I'd go in and give it a lash, anyway had to meet Pronator to give him his race number.

Quick couple of miles warm-up & chat with Pronator before hitting the corral and met up with thewolf who was in flying form and all set for sub 1:30.

Was feeling OK so I decided to stick to the plan. First mile was grand & went through in 7:20. Up into the park & pace slowed a little, mile 2 in 7:28. Its around here that I started to feel like everything wasn't so rock 'n' roll & I was slowing down more & not just because of the incline, mile 3 in 7:45. Mile 3 was the samba band that I play in & was sorely tempted to pull over & join in as it seemed like the easier option.

As the park levelled out to mile 4 I was just hoping that I'd be able to conserve a bit of energy & regroup on the next few miles. Somehow I remember the band at the 4 mile mark singing Nutbush City Limits & all I could think of was, "I wish I had Tina Turners legs". Mile 4 in 7:40

The trad band at mile 5 were singing The Leaving of Liverpool & fully expected Luis Suarez to be doing a jig on stage such has been the media coverage surrounding him. Anyway I seemed to be picking up a bit on the downhill section here and went through mile 5 in 7:27. Tucked in behind an American runner around here who was going at a tempo I could easily match. Mile 6 was good bit quicker & I was starting to feel OK, mile 6 in 7:14. Was happy to see the half way mark, think the clock was showing 46:xx, decided to try stick with the american runner to the finish as the goal was now gone & it was just about damage limitation. Mile 7 in 7:25

Must have let the concentration slip here as my (unknown to them) pacer got a few yards on me. Really started to struggle now and all manner of excuses started to flood in, mile 8 in 7:35 & mile 9 in 7:54.The hill out of Chapelizod couldn't have come at a worse time & I practically slowed to a walk, such was my level of delusion I reckoned if I turned round I'd see Neil Horan hanging out of the back of me. Raycun's energetic sweeping at the water station didn't do anything to help raise my energy levels :P. The brother-in-law lives near 10 mile mark & seriously contemplated pulling out, mile 10 in 8:17.

The sight of the 1:40 balloon coming past me spurred me on a little but that didn't last too long, mile 11 & 12 in 8:03 & 8:18. Only a mile left so gave it all of the little I had left, mile 13 & last bit in 7:55 & 1:05.

Met thewolf at the finish who had just ran 1:28 and was jumping around like a kid at a wiggles concert while shoving power bars down his shorts & I couldn't have been more dejected.

Official time was 1:41:25, previous PB was 1:43:05 over 2 years ago. This was only 3rd time running a half so I still have a lot to learn so just need to pick myself up & get back training & focused. Big lesson from the day, don't try run exactly to plan if not feeling 100% or maybe don't run at all. Lesson I should have learnt from the marathon 2 years ago.

Up next Celbridge 5K & then the Athlone half & the isotonic beer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

You make me sound so young! Don't worry hammer the next one. Hope your feeling better.

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    You make me sound so young! Don't worry hammer the next one. Hope your feeling better.

Ah you were on a deserved high, fair play, great run

Monday 12/08

7 Days on from the Half & the first run with the body starting to feel normal.

Easy 4.25 mile trail run, I say easy but there was some tricky climbs/drags

About time I brought this up-to-date especially now the teams are up for the Athlone Half :pac:

Athlone Half Week 1 W/E 18/08

Monday: 4.25 Mile Easy 8:48 Avg Trail run & took it very easy

Tuesday: Plan was for 800 session but got sent to London with work. Found a nice route along a canal & ended up in Camden Village after 20 mins before turning back to hotel. 4.83 miles @ 8:04 Avg. Legs & body still a bit tired

Wednesday: Flight delayed getting home so ended up using this a rest day

Thursday: Plan was for 40 mins easy but cut session short at 30 min mark as I nearly ended up like this lad

Friday: Very tired today so decided to take rest & move tempo session to Saturday

Saturday: 8 Miles with 5 @ PHMP Splits 7:17 / 7:26 / 7:10 / 7:22 / 7:36 Miles 4 & 5 were into headwind & mile 5 uphill

Sunday: 12 miles / 7:57 avg This felt surprisingly comfortable after Saturdays run

Weekly Total 32 Miles

Athlone Half Week 2 W/E 25/08

Monday: Rest day after 2 longish runs on the Saturday & Sunday

Tuesday: 1.5 Mile W/U; 5 x 800 with 2 min recovery; 1.5 Mile C/D (800 reps, 3:08, 3:06, 3:07, 3:11, 3:11)

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: 4.5 Miles easy

Friday: Ended up with a 2nd rest day as busy in work and no time to get out when I got home & once again had to move tempo to Saturday

Saturday: 9 miles with 6 @ planned HMP, 7:07, 7:22, 7:17, 7:08, 7:18, 7:26

Sunday: 13 miles / 8:01 avg

Weekly Total 32 Miles

Athlone Half Week 3 W/E 01/09

Monday: Rest day

Tuesday: 1.5 Mile W/U; 6 x 800 with 2 min recovery; 1.5 Mile C/D (800 reps, 3:11; 3:16; 3:09; 3:12; 3:09; 3:07)

Wednesday: 3.8 Mile trail run. This was supposed to be an easy run, but 2 loops of the trail with a tricky climb really took it out of me after the intervlas on Tuesday

Thursday: 40 mins easy 4 miles, this hurt like hell, very heavy legs. There was probably an argument here to skip this run

Friday: 10 Miles with 7 @ HMP 7:02; 7:21; 7:18; 7:13; 7:10; 7:27; 7:27 Last 2 up hill & into headwind

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: 14 miles / 7:54 avg Very tired by the end of this run, longest week so far

Weekly Total 37.8 Miles approx.

• Advertisement

Good stuff Anto! Nice to see your active! Some nice runs in there. I'm jealous of the intervals I've a few weeks of them coming up!

Athlone Half Week 4 W/E 08/09

Not a great week, busy in work & missed 1 or 2 nights with lead up to The Lakes 10K

Monday: Zilch

Tuesday: 1.5 Mile W/U; 7 x 800 with 2 min recovery; 1 Mile C/D (800 reps, 3:11, 3:13, 3:11, 3:10, 3:13, 3:14, 3:10)

Thursday: Nada

Friday: 10 miles with 8 @ planned HMP, 7:08, 7:09, 7:20, 7:11, 7:13, 7:10, 7:10, 7:22. Felt really good throughout this run, all the signs were looking good for the half until..... (see Sunday :mad:)

Saturday: Standing around in the cold & rain while doing bits & pieces for the race

Sunday: Decided to rest as I woke up with stinking head cold & sore throat :mad:

Weekly Total 17.75 Miles

Athlone Half Week 5 W/E 15/09

Not a great start to this week given the cold I've picked up.

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 4.85 Miles 8:39 avg. Nice & easy, legs felt heavy for 1st mile. Head cold didn't bother me although chest is feeling a bit gritty

Contemplating entering Charleville half as a back up plan in case Saturday goes pear shaped

You can do it !

Athlone Half Week 5 W/E 15/09

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 4.85 Miles 8:39 avg. Nice & easy, legs felt heavy for 1st mile. Head cold didn't bother me although chest is feeling a bit gritty

Thursday: 4 Miles; 1 Mile W/U; 5 x 100 strides; 3 x 800s (3:13, 3:27, 3:26) with 2 min recovery; 1/2 mile C/D

Head cold more or less clear, sinuses a bit blocked & chest still a bit gritty, but otherwise felt fine. Went off far too quick for 1st 800 (at one point I was well under 6 min/mile) & had to force myself to run slower although the body felt like kicking on. Hopefully all good for Athlone tomorrow.

Advertisement