Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry Route

• 11-04-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I will be driving from Limerick to London one way. Could someone please recommend the most suitable ferry route?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

10kdays wrote: »
    I will be driving from Limerick to London one way. Could someone please recommend the most suitable ferry route?

I've used the 21:00 Rosslare-Fishguard ferry which was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I use both ferry ports on a regular basis (driving to Liverpool, and driving to London) as well as commuting between Liverpool and London quite a number of times each years and unless you are heading to North London or East London (say between Enfield and Havering for arguements sake) I would take the ferry from Rosslare.

If I am going from Limerick to London I tend to be heading for West or Central London and the drive after using the Rosslare ferry is a handy enough one.

In theory you would save time by driving to Dublin and going from Holyhead, but from years of experience of driving that route (both since I moved to Ireland and from when I lived in the UK) the theory often does not match the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

The rosslare - fishguard route is the one I use for travelling to north east London. If I want to stopover en route after the ferry, there are plenty of travel lodges/ premier inns on the way which are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I prefer the Limerick - Dublin - Holyhead - London route.

Distance wise there isn't a significant difference than via Rosslare. But you have far more motorways this way.

Also I absolutely HATE the Limerick to Waterford road. I never feel comfortable on it. It and the road between Limerick and Cork should have been massively upgraded during the celtic tiger.

Take the Birmingham toll road as well - its worth the £4 or whatever. The Norton Caines services there is excellent and this is probably the quietest area of the Birmingham driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Best roads argument swings it for the Holyhead-Dublin route. Greater choice of ferries, quicker sailing times and Motorway all the way from London to your ports and on to Limerick.

As Bicycle mentioned that road from Waterford to Limerick is friggin' awful - one of the worst inter-city links (if I could describe it as such) and on the UK side the road out of Fishguard is some 60km before you hit the Dualway. Neither are great stretches in either country to be caught behind or between HGV's - believe me!.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd prefer to use the Dublin - Liverpool overnight ferry. It takes longer, and costs more, but you get a comfy nights sleep in your own cabin, and will arrive well rested and feeling relatively fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Generally, we'd use the Dunlaoghaire Holyhead fast ferry, better roads at both side and the fast ferry is bigger on this route so less likely to be cancelled due to windy conditions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

We are heading over to cardiff in July, I'm assuming its easiest to do the rosslare fishguard, we are travelling from Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Going to Portishead in a couple of weeks and going via Rosslare-Fishguard. Motorway after about 20miles from FG all the way down to where I'm going and you'll be the same all the way to London. Much faster. If you plan on doing this route, make sure you ring the B&B's/Hotels in the FG area very early if you're doing the 9pm sailing, 'cause they book up fast. I booked ours over a month prior to sailing and there's was no accommodation available even back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

angeldaisy wrote: »
    We are heading over to cardiff in July, I'm assuming its easiest to do the rosslare fishguard, we are travelling from Limerick.

Yes, Fishguard is closer at the far side but we did the Holyhead route to Cardiff for one of the heineken cup finals once and it wasn't too bad, even on a Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 10kdays

Thanks very much for all the replies.
    I am going to travel to Dublin the night before and stay with some mates to save 2 hrs on the day. So I will go from Dublin or Dun loagh; there doesn't seem to be a whole pile of difference either way.

Thanks again.

Advertisement