Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDE cover letter crisis!

• 11-04-2012 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any one can help me. Ive just accepted into the PDE (happy times!) and am preparing my cover letter for teaching placement. As this is my first time applying to a school I'm not sure what I should be placing emphasis on in my letter. I have no teaching experience.... do I outline courses I completed in my BA? Mention the placement requirements and restrictions? (Having to be back on campus for 2pm, number of students in class, teaching hours required ect., Im guessing the schools are well awear of this but is it better to include this?) Im living abroad at the moment until mid May which is a nightmare as I cant call in person but theres not much I can do about it.... Is e-mail better than post? or Vice versa?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i would ring or email, there is a set procedure and your a PDE student at the end of the day, not looking for a job

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forgetfulme

thanks for the reply, the schools don't open until april 16th and all the info on from the university says to treat it like a job interview! And that competition is scary :O

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

thanks for the reply, the schools don't open until april 16th and all the info on from the university says to treat it like a job interview! And that competition is scary :O

The schools have been open and had teachers, including Principals and Deputy Principals in most days of the Easter 'Break' excluding Good Friday and the Bank Holiday.

Don't believe the media.

It's a bit late now, but you probably could have lined up a few telephone chats over the past two weeks.

Next two weeks will be a bit mental as all the practicals and orals for the Leaving are on.

*que freakout and general panic* :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

*que freakout and general panic* :p

No need to panic. Just be aware that with so much going on in the schools over the next two weeks, returning a phone call to a possible PDE student might not be a priority for a Principal or Deputy Principal.

The last week of May and first week of June (before the exams start) are usually less frantic. The second and later weeks of exam time are pretty good too to contact schools.

Don't rule out what some see as 'tough' schools, or schools in certain areas. Doing the PDE in one of them will stand to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

spurious wrote: »

Don't rule out what some see as 'tough' schools, or schools in certain areas. Doing the PDE in one of them will stand to you.

I agree with this - you see the university lectures come alive in these schools because there's such a diverse bunch of students

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

On a general note, I asked around (including a principal) and a letter is the best way to approach the school. It's not about "CV dropping", but more of a request, stating what you hope to get from the experience in their school and what you can contribute. Schools are such busy places - it might be hard to track down the principal at a suitable time for a chat. Perhaps a letter/email and a follow-up call is the best route.
    spurious wrote: »

I'm currently subbing in a DEIS school (which I find challenging but very enjoyable and rewarding) and thinking of going back there for my PDE this coming year. Another option is my old school, which is the complete other end of the scale from a DEIS school. It is bigger, and I'm thinking there would be more deputy work. I know it's not the most pertinent point when trying to choose a school, but I can scarcely afford the 6k for the course in the first place. I had a friend who did his PDE in a huge school and usually filled the remainder of his day with subbing and S&S, which could work out very handy indeed. Which to choose??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 S.Reed

I was told to drop in a full CV to a school, but as i'm a final year student I don't have any teaching experience, except some volunteer homework club stuff (which of course i will include). I'm just unsure how to lay out this specific CV and what to include? As my current CV is catered towards part time work in shops etc. while in college, so lists that type of employment. Should i remove this? If someone could help with telling me what to include, not include, layout etc. I would very much appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I prefer a cv and a quick note, no big letter. Some schools have big interview processes whereas other schools just meet and get you to commit, had a dip pull out a few years back and its a pain for timetabling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I made a list of all the places I could get to in proximity to the college and did up a very clear letter outlining the subjects I needed and my past experiences with young people and enclosed my CV and posted them off as soon as I got my offer . I got contacted the day after ( Easter break) and was invited to meet with a principal so get on to it fast ! Got several other responses the following week for other interviews . Ended up going with a school who gave me a place over the phone a few weeks later .

I forgot to say congratulations :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any one can help me. Ive just accepted into the PDE (happy times!) and am preparing my cover letter for teaching placement. As this is my first time applying to a school I'm not sure what I should be placing emphasis on in my letter. I have no teaching experience.... do I outline courses I completed in my BA? Mention the placement requirements and restrictions? (Having to be back on campus for 2pm, number of students in class, teaching hours required ect., Im guessing the schools are well awear of this but is it better to include this?) Im living abroad at the moment until mid May which is a nightmare as I cant call in person but theres not much I can do about it.... Is e-mail better than post? or Vice versa?

Cheers in advance!

Are you going to UCD? I just got into it too :)
    One of my friends is a relatively experienced teacher and he gave me this advice on my cover letter - address it to the school and principal, dont make it look like a generic letter you've sent to a zilliion places already :)
    1. Write a formal application letter with all the formalities
    2. Mention your qualification, result, where you did it and what you are doing now. Any postgrads?
    3. Most importantly - your subjects you plan to teach.
    4. Any teaching experience? Giving grinds/volunteer work. (It might help to start doing that now since the job market come 2013 will be even tougher. Have a look at volunteer.ie for opportunities.)
    5. Why did you choose the school? It doesn't hurt to reflect on their excellent academic record..etc.
    Hope that helps! :)

Cheers for all the info guys.....time to cross my fingers and hope for the best!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Just to reiterate what Spurious said, doing your Dip in a tougher school stands to you, you have an actual chance of gaining employment then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Just to reiterate what Spurious said, doing your Dip in a tougher school stands to you, you have an actual chance of gaining employment then.

Not sure if I agree with this. You should see discipline in action and see what strategies work for the other members of staff if you choose to do your dip in a 'tougher' school. I don't think you have an actual chance of employment just because of where you did your dip. Surely everyone would do their dip in schools where discipline was an issue if that was the case? I have worked in schools across the spectrum and have never felt that I was hired because I had previously worked in DEIS, a convent etc. Your results, references, interview skills and a dose of luck that jobs in your subjects come up will get you a job. The dip is only a piece of paper. You can learn to teach in any school.

Advertisement