Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Books on being a lawyer

• 11-04-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi, could anyone recommend any books that are about starting out as a lawyer or working in a big law firm?? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

In Ireland? You might find one about the US or England and Wales but I'm not sure about Ireland.

Boards has some great info - search function is your friend... Research needs to be a skill.

Basicly though:

Barrister = Wig (not so much anymore), gown - the guy that argues in court. 3-4 years undergrad degree, 1 years kings inns, 2 years unpaid work followed by a further 5 or so not making enough money to put petrol in the car.

Solicitor = 3-4 years undergrad at a good uni, X years trying to get though FE1 exams 2 years (?) work placement working 100 hours a week followed by X number of years working 110 hours a week.

If you want it bad enough you'll do it - most won't and don't. The money is great for those that "make it" but that true of everything.

Law Degree for the criac - many do - good as a second degree or imo as a good general degree - many are more useful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

Cheers for the reply but I've just finished my 2nd and hopefully final batch of FE-1's. I was thinking more along the lines of a book that details, (perhaps 1st hand) the experiences of someone going into a corporate law firm for the 1st time, or about life in a law firm in general. Maybe something to do with a Magic Circle-type firm in London or even an American one I guess???

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

You could always go onto some of the big law firms' websites and read their trainee profiles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Read ' The Firm ' by John Grisham :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Glanville Willaims Learning the Law is now rather dated but a good introductions.

The Henry Cecil novels give a good idea mainly from a barristers POV

Avoid the John Grisham novels - practice in Ireland not like his novels.

there are some good books on advocacy, which I have lost.

Also a UK books on the skills of a solicitor - likewise I'm afraid.

Had on old book - advice to a solicitors clerk written about 1906,

talkiing about these new fangled typewriters, operated by WIMMIN - those days it was mainly male clerks,

Also has a hilarious piece on these even newer fangled phones

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Patrick McKenzie "Lawful Occasions" is a good read about the real life career of a barrister.

DuCann - the Art of the Advocate is a good book as is Wellmans Art of Cross Examination.
    None of them however really capture the actual life of a lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

My mistake sorry. Congrats (hopefully!) on the FE1s!!

Some good threads on here ref life in the big 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

The Devil's Advocate by Iain Morley QC is a good guide to advocacy and debate from a barrister's perspective.

It's actually very useful even if you have to do any public speaking in your job:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Devils-Advocate-Iain-Morley/dp/0421914807

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

I hear Lionel Hutz Attorney at Law is a good read

• Advertisement
Advertisement