Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Valves

Options
  • 11-04-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

I came across a big heap of old valves which were my fathers, he was a radio engineer in the 70's and kept them, I'm sure they are working and I think they are marked "low voltage pre-amp valves". I'm guessing they are worth a bit of cash, anyone know where I'd find out. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Hi littlemac, could you post up a few of the valve numbers.

As a job lot of assorted valves, value would be quite low. Some are still quite sought after though and selling them single or in pairs may be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

An EF80 is 50c, A PX4 €400 an EF86 maybe €4

It depends what they are. Almost no-one wants "job lots" unless a bargain basement price.

Most people are buying 1 to 6 valves.

Plenty vintage advice http://vintagetvandradio.myfreeforum.org/index.php

What are they?
    See http://www.r-type.org
    and http://www.radiomuseum.org

Most valves are pretty common. Some are not and some are expensive due to Audiophules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Ok thanks Guys, I'll go through them now and post up the numbers of them.

Right a long list so

Most of the boxes are a bit, well old looking I suppose, not off the shelf condition if you know what I mean

The list of those that are boxed are as follows

Boxed:

Philips “Miniwatt” Electron Valve
    6SJ7GT
    ECC85
    EF91 (X3)
    EF92 (X2)
    EF95
    UBF80
    12AT7

Siemens Rohre
    EF93 6BA6

Valvo
    E88CC

Telefunken
    UF85 (X2)

GE Electronic Tube

Tungsram Radio
    ECC83 (X2)

6 MONATE RSD
    UF85 1430

Raytheon
    12AT7WA

MAZDA RADIO
    EF80 6BX6

Teonex Electronic Valve
    VR/105 OC3 (X2)

RCA Electron Tube
    12AX7A ECC83 (X2)
    0C3
    6CB6A/6CF6

BRIMAR Thermionic Valve
    807 (X2)
    ECC81
    EF91 (X3)

BRIMAR Radio Valve
    6BH6 (X4)
    6AK6

Mullard
    EF184 (X3)
    PL81
    PCL83
    QQV03/10
    ECC81 (X4)
    EF85
    ECC91
    ECH81
    E88CC

Chelmer Valve
    OD3 (X2)

There are others then that are not boxed, all appear intact, but some are cleaner looking than others.

Unboxed:

Philips
    EF95

Brimar
    6K8G

Mullard
    EAA91
    EF95
    EF50 (X2)
    EF183

Mazda
    TP25

ARP35 (??? That's all it says)

COSSOR
    63-SPT
    5Z4GT

Cetron
    4B32

Tronix
    8D3

Tungsram
    6BE6

Also:

One that says Made in Great Britain
    And the number I can barely make out but I think it says
    162 62D4

I also have 3 that are cased in aluminium with no visible markings.

Well I'll check those links you posted, and sure if you recognise any of those I posted as being particularly good in the meantime, I'd appreciate if you let me know.

Funnily enough, I had recently been considering attempting to construct a Valve Amp for my guitar, so If any of those above are what you'd consider appropriate, then I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks.

The transformers are the expensive bit for a decent guitar amp. If you avoid "fashionable" valves they are cheap enough.

The 1950s designs are best. Some of the "new" designs are by people that are clueless.

Those are a mix of Radio valves and a few TV types. The 807 is an old WWII era transmitter valve sometimes used as valve amp output stage today (fashion rather than common sense as these were very cheaply available after WWII but quality designers preferred things like EL34).

You can use Triodes or "Triodise" a Tetrode, Beam Tetrode or Pentode. Compared with Pentode that increases the power, reduces gain and makes the O/P more susceptible to HT line hum. But "fashion" at the minute is Triode O/P stages. On a well designed amplifier it won't sound different.

A 0D3 I didn't recognise. It's a Gas Regulator
    http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_0d3.html

The QQV03/10 is Mobile Radio Transmitter valve, not much power so no good for a guitar amp
    http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_qqv03-10.html

Quite a mixture.

EF = Mostly RF/IF (preamps might use EF86 though)
    ECH = Radio frequency changer (Triode/Hexode)
    EC = Triode
    ECC = Dual triode

E prefix = 6.3V heater
    U instead of E means 100mA Series tubes, can be any voltage. For sets without transformer
    P is 300mA series usually TVs

EF183 & EF184 pretty late types used really only TV

EF92 etc, "9" in 1st digit means miniature 7 pin, "8" means 9 pin

Z in a part usually means mains rectifier.

USA and Mazda parts start with digits that can be the rounded down heater voltage.
    1 = 1.4V
    12 = 12.6V
    6 = 6.3V
    etc

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the analysis and advice watty.

I have checked up a bit on the internet last night, and found that the E88CC's are supposed to be particularly good, and the RCA 12AX7A's are also supposed to be a bit special, so I'm gonna scour around to see if I can find a project suitable to use those.

It'll be a while before I get started on anything though, I really don't have the first clue about how they operate, I did some electronics in college and my soldering is fairly good thanks to a couple of years of technical work, but attempting to build a complex circuit board from scratch is a good ways ahead of me and I'll have to do a lot of reading.

In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for some suitable transformers, I could probably take one out of an old fender amp I have which had given some trouble a number of years back, and had been sitting in a corner of the shed since, though I'd prefer to have a go at repairing that first.

There are a couple of professional guitarists/Techheads I know so I might see what their interest in what I have is, and weigh up my options then.

Thanks again.

An E88CC is essentially a selected ECC88 military version for reliability and more repeatability. There is no advantage at all in an Audio amp. An EF86 is probably the best ever Audio preamp and the EL34 good output tubes.

No point in stripping the Fender. You need specific transformers for specific designs. Fix up the Fender makes more sense.

Also you need to decide if you want a Rock Electric guitar sound or HiFi. Fender, Marshall and all amps for Rock style electric guitar are designed for loudness and certain kind of distortion. The most ordinary ECC82 are best and what ever output tubes for the power.

HiFi designs are completely different. They give less power for same tubes, always use Pentodes and Tapped Audio Transformers that feed about 10% to the Screen Grids (g2). Any Guitar amp transformer would be useless. They are designed to impart no "sound" at all, just pure undistorted amplification. "Ultra Linear" is the name of the technique using taps on Audio output transformer to Screen Grids.

1) Decide what kind of amp.
    2) Source the parts.
    3) Bash the chassis.

Wiring layout and earthing points is a critical part of Valve amp designs that don't use a PCB.

Advertisement