Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a dog

Options
  • 11-04-2012 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

I'm a big fan of the dogs and myself and a few other lads are considering buying one and maybe entering it in a few races.. Live in Galway so that would be the obvious choice but just wondering how to go about getting involved in it? Would buying off a trainer be the best option?
    Would appreciate some ideas lads not the most clued in on this angle of it so any advice would be welcome. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭kk09

re_wired wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a big fan of the dogs and myself and a few other lads are considering buying one and maybe entering it in a few races.. Live in Galway so that would be the obvious choice but just wondering how to go about getting involved in it? Would buying off a trainer be the best option?
    Would appreciate some ideas lads not the most clued in on this angle of it so any advice would be welcome. Cheers.

Have a read through the syndicate thread, and if you have any other questions just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Paula_Maula

Hi Just a thought but there are some good greyhounds in rescue too, and not old retired ones only. Some people can't afford to keep them any more and so are dumping them on rescues.
    Contact your local SPCA centre for more details or PM me and I'll see what I can get for you.

It does go without saying though that if you do rescue a dog a homecheck will be needed and the rescue will want to ensure that you take care of the dog properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭kk09

Hi Just a thought but there are some good greyhounds in rescue too, and not old retired ones only. Some people can't afford to keep them any more and so are dumping them on rescues.
    Contact your local SPCA centre for more details or PM me and I'll see what I can get for you.

It does go without saying though that if you do rescue a dog a homecheck will be needed and the rescue will want to ensure that you take care of the dog properly.

This would be an easy and fairly cost effective way of getting into the dogs. Paula, would you be able to PM names of dogs that you would have, that a person could do a background check on them from igb or greyhound-data?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Maybe Im missing your point in getting into dogs.Is it to have a pet or to race.Any dog that is in care is there for a reason hurt,far to slow,fighter,old,nervous,bad barker,not chasing,etc, etc.I think it best for you and your mates to put your money into some other form of entertainment as you will get better value.As you have zero knowledge of greyhound racing there are people waiting for you and your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have a good read of the info at www.igb.ie. Then make contact with the relevant person who liaises with syndicates. They will point you in the right direction. An indication of what resources are required would be: €2000.00 for a dog. Best to buy one that has an official trial. Training expenses will cost around €250.00 per month. Make sure you get a reputable trainer. Best get the money for the first year up front. Any money won will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Homechecks should not be necessary if the dog is brought to a reputable registered igb trainer. It is extremely rare for a syndicate to house and train their own dogs. They are more likely to be enthusiasts than your typical greyhound affecionado and are happy to leave dog with the professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Homechecks should not be necessary if the dog is brought to a reputable registered igb trainer. It is extremely rare for a syndicate to house and train their own dogs. They are more likely to be enthusiasts than your typical greyhound affecionado and are happy to leave dog with the professionals.
    Extremely rare for syndicates to house and train their own dog.Where did you get that from considering tonight alone there are ten syndicate owned/trained runners.You obviously did not read my other post.Imagine an uneducated syndicate taking a dog from shelter which was one or more of the following.A fighter,to old,barker,to slow ,etc and give [or try and give] that greyhound to a reputable trainer.What would happen when that dog was to return to its proper place[shelter] and was refused entry.We in this great sport have had enough bad press and do want advice like you are giving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mickm86

a lot of good syndicates revolve around friends where one membre keeps and trains the dog at home. its not the best idea to get a dog from a shelter as the dog is there for a good reason and will probably prove more expensive in the long run. you can acquire plenty of cheap graders on greyhound data to learn the ropes.

Advertisement