Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New labels for tyres

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The Chinese will probably just compile "independent" reports that say "Yep, everything excellent, no problems here, 10/10 in all categories"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'm pretty sure that these tests are going to be done by the EU, probably by something equivalent to Euro NCAP, so they can't do that (just as well)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Any idea why some of the ratings (letters) are being omitted?
    e.g.
    The fuel-efficiency rating will go from A (low consumption) to G, though D is not used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Funny thing is this:
    According to leading German manufacturer Continental, the stopping distance between a class-A tyre and a class-F version can be as much as 18 metres.

What's the point in giving such information, while without mentioning initial speed it's useless.
    18 metres difference in braking from 50km/h will be huge difference, while 18 metres difference in braking from 300km/h will be negligible value.

Also I'm wondering will winter tyres get different scales, or will be tested in winter conditions.
    F.e good summer tyres would get A rating on wet when tested at 25 degrees, while if tested at -10 they might come way worse.
    While winter tyres will come probably to the lowest rating in 25 degrees on wet, while they should do well on wet at -10 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

As far as I'm aware, as with all current tyre ratings for wear rate, traction etc, the figures will be declared by the manufacturer, not independently tested.

While this is generally fine for the main/reputable brands, its obviously open to ..shall be say, interpretation, by the economy brands.

As it is, most of the chinese plastic are self rated as A or AA for traction.......the same a most premium brands:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I volunteer to do the testing;

Car steps out on a wet corner while on Sunny/Triangle/Hifly - "Jesus them tyres are shyte!!"

Step out on Michelin/Continental/Bridgestone - "Jesus them road conditions are shyte!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

As far as I'm aware, as with all current tyre ratings for wear rate, traction etc, the figures will be declared by the manufacturer, not independently tested.

While this is generally fine for the main/reputable brands, its obviously open to ..shall be say, interpretation, by the economy brands.

As it is, most of the chinese plastic are self rated as A or AA for traction.......the same a most premium brands:rolleyes:

That's surprising for the EU to be honest - I certainly do not favour any system that is open to abuse like that! I was hoping that this new system would get rid of all of that kind of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

That's surprising for the EU to be honest - I certainly do not favour any system that is open to abuse like that! I was hoping that this new system would get rid of all of that kind of thing!

Sure its the same with the current 'E' mark thing with tyres. Once the manufacturer declares that the tyres meet European manufacturing specs then they can be 'E' marked.

Tyres which also have an 'e' mark (lower case e) have actually been tested as being of the declared quality, but even the premium brands don't bother having every size of every model tyre tested.

Advertisement