Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to study business?

• 11-04-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I was counting on business being one of my best subjects before I looked at the marking schemes today.

Our teacher assured me that if I had 4 "reasonable points" I'd get 20/20. That's how he marked my work for the last 2 years - if I wrote about 4 lines per point, I'd get full marks. The marking schemes give sample points, and some of these points seem reallyyy in depth, compared with what my book says, and what I write.

Is the marking scheme guide a good guide? I've far too little time to cover everything in that detail if it is! Should I go through the marking schemes to learn answers, or should I stick with my book?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Josh93

I've been told pretty much the same thing by my own teacher all along - and like yourself I consider Business one of my better subjects. I assume you're doing higher level? I'm only a student like yourself but as far as I'm concerned, the teachers know what they're doing :)

As far as I know, some exams are marked by college students, maybe the in-depth marking scheme is in case they don't know themselves if certain answers are valid, if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Josh93 wrote: »
    I've been told pretty much the same thing by my own teacher all along - and like yourself I consider Business one of my better subjects. I assume you're doing higher level? I'm only a student like yourself but as far as I'm concerned, the teachers know what they're doing :)

As far as I know, some exams are marked by college students, maybe the in-depth marking scheme is in case they don't know themselves if certain answers are valid, if you get me.

Yeah, higher level!
    You must be right. My teacher's been teaching for years, so he must know what works and what doesn't. If only I could say the same about my geography teacher :rolleyes:. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Theyre support notes. No one could possibly write that much detail imo. The old state, explain, example should be enough. :) Just remember though, a 20 mark question might be 5 points @ 4 marks each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

State, Explain, Example. And if you can't remember an explanation, an advantage/disadvantage works too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    State, Explain, Example. And if you can't remember an explanation, an advantage/disadvantage works too

This is it.

No waffle, it doesn't matter how long it is. If you have the points then you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Sup! :P

Ok, so I'm currently just doing all the SQ from all past papers, and I was wondering if during the exams could marks be taken off me for abbreviations?
    Such as writing 'info' instead of 'information'?

Also, when doing a memo, and it doesn't specify a name as to sign off with, can you use your own, or do you just sign off 'managing director/sales manager/etc'

Thanks! :D

Advertisement