Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas at night safe?

Options
  • 11-04-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

i have a quick question,a lad from work it travelling to the O2 for the wrestling tomorrow night and was going to use the park and ride from the red cow roundabout and get the luas from there,
    its expected to end around 10:30, he is going with his son who is 6 and was wondering is the luas ok to travel at night, it wouldnt be in any way dodgy??,
    sorry if it seems a silly question despite the fact im from dublin iv never been on the luas!, i assume it would be busy after a gig/event at the O2?
    cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

its like most public transport - you shouldnt have any issues once youre smart.
    if theres a big gig on in the o2 id imagine you wont be the only one on it either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Luas will be safe.

After any gig in the o2 a lot of people use the luas so it's fully patrolled.

I'd also advise that he gets a return ticket that way he can just hop on when it is over cause there will be a huge que to purchase a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I find that there's actually far less gougers on the red line during the night then there is during the peak hours.

Your mate will be grand,they have those robocop like STT security lads travelling on the trams also,and I've seen the odd Garda or two getting on and off at various stops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

sugarman wrote: »
    It'll be grand, you can get a few knackers on it but theres armed securety at that time of night so I wouldnt worry. Never had any real hassle since its opened myself.

Armed with what. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Hootanany wrote: »
    sugarman wrote: »
    It'll be grand, you can get a few knackers on it but theres armed securety at that time of night so I wouldnt worry. Never had any real hassle since its opened myself.

There is no armed secuirty ???
    Don't know what Luas you have been getting :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

In my experience there are usually plenty of junkies/methadone zombies on the Red Line all the time - but they mind their own business.

Most of the hassle seems to be caused by gangs of feral kids who run up and down, climb the handrails like monkey bars, slag off other passengers, stand in the doorway preventing it from closing until the driver walks down the tram then they run off etc etc.

Security does little about the little terrors but I find they are around less at night. I wouldn't have any worries about getting it after an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Cheers for the replies, sounds fine i just wasnt sure what it would be like!
    i think the event is sold out so id say it may be packed with people!

i was wondering what they were armed with aswell:eek:
    maybe batons?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Luas security aren't armed but they're all normally big lads anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    There is no armed secuirty ???
    Don't know what Luas you have been getting :/

You don't know what those ex-Spetsnaz lads have tucked under their vests ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

If they are nervous I would also say go to the very front of the front carriage where the driver is close. Might provide a bit of comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

The Red Line Luas is meant to be grand these days late at night because they have a lot of security on it at night. It's during the day when it's a bit more troublesome. Those security dudes are feckin useless though, they do fk-all. Regardless, I would agree with the above poster, go to the front of the carriage near the driver.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I avoid the Luas simply because it's an infuriatingly slow service, but I haven't seen these STT guys actually do anything. It's better than when there was a few jobsworths in a high visibility jacket, but I wouldn't feel any particularly safer.

Much safer upstairs at the back of a 27 or 40 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I get it at night and it's as fine as any public transport. I find that it's worse in the early evening and best early morning and night.

Chances are if you're going to a big event in the 02 , plenty of people will be doing the same as you and the Luas will have lots of people on it.

One thing I'll say for those security lads is that they definitely get involved. Saw them the other day telling some junkie (who was with a big group of same)yo get his feet down off the seat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

bladebrew wrote: »
    Hey folks,

i have a quick question,a lad from work it travelling to the O2 for the wrestling tomorrow night and was going to use the park and ride from the red cow roundabout and get the luas from there,
    its expected to end around 10:30, he is going with his son who is 6 and was wondering is the luas ok to travel at night, it wouldnt be in any way dodgy??,
    sorry if it seems a silly question despite the fact im from dublin iv never been on the luas!, i assume it would be busy after a gig/event at the O2?
    cheers!

sit down, mind your own business and avoid staring at the scumbags. sit up next to the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hootanany wrote: »

with moral authority

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

I think they are more likely to be alarmed than armed :o. Why are they never to be seen at the Abbey Street stop in the evenings? hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

hey all,

all went well anyway, the luas was packed after the wrestling so no trouble or anything, sounded well organised in fairness, it was a bit slow he said:)
    cheers for all the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

dfx- wrote: »
    but I haven't seen these STT guys actually do anything.

That's because scumbags don't start trouble when they're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

dfx- wrote: »
    but I haven't seen these STT guys actually do anything

I have. Very efficient, good hand and joint locks, very confident.

Advertisement