Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

API Liquid Ammonia Test Kit

Options
  • 11-04-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi, testing my ammonia levels over the last month with an API liquid test kit was showing a constant 0.25 mg/l ammonia reading (the first green colour on the chart). Today I decided to test a sample of both bottled and tap water and they both read the first shade of Green which is 0.25 mg/l. Can I assume my test kit is not colouring accurately and my Ammonia is actually 0? The colour never shows a true yellow for 0.00mg/l.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sounds like your test kit isn't accurate. How old is it and is it still in date?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

I only picked up a month ago in a reputable fish shop. I can't see any expiry on it but it has a lot number 84A0711. I am presuming the 0711 is July 2011?

Bring a sample of your aquarium water and tap water to your local fish shop and get them to test it for you. You shouldn't have any reading of ammonia from the tap.

Something tells me its the test kit. I found a post online where someone was getting a constant 0.25 colour with an API test kit over the period of a few weeks, everytime they retested with a Nutrafin kit and got a result of 0:confused::confused:

As I said earlier, go back to the shop and let them test the kit and your water.

• Advertisement

Will post back how I get on, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Hi, testing my ammonia levels over the last month with an API liquid test kit was showing a constant 0.25 mg/l ammonia reading (the first green colour on the chart). Today I decided to test a sample of both bottled and tap water and they both read the first shade of Green which is 0.25 mg/l. Can I assume my test kit is not colouring accurately and my Ammonia is actually 0? The colour never shows a true yellow for 0.00mg/l.

Any help appreciated.

Had the same problem with my API master test kit. Ammonia always shows 0.25. My nutrafin kit showed 0 ammonia. I had my water checked by local fish shop and it didn't show any ammonia.

Problem resolved, thanks to advice from API UK. They suggested I wash out my test tube in non tap water as they reckoned trace chlorine remains in tube and can affect they reading. Hey presto no trace of green on result!!!

Glad you got it sorted. Don't know how you missed that, it clearly states on all test kits to rinse the tubes with tank water.

Should've gone to Specsavers!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement