Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cheetah Run2012

Options
  • 11-04-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

This year's Cheetah Run, organised by Eagle AC, and sponsored by John Buckley Sports, will take place on Thurs May17th at 8pm.

On-line entries will open on Run Ireland on May 1st. There is a limit of 800 entries again this year - Sold out last year and interest in this year's event is pretty strong!

Entry fee is still a tenner €10! Europe's only race through a zoo! Race takes place entirely on private roads through Fota Wildlife park and the grounds of Fota House.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Entries for The Cheetah Run opened HERE on Run Ireland just before 11am. 800 places - 137 gone already (inside an hour!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

If there's only 800 places.... is this just one for the elites???

I don't want to enter and be 10 mins + behind the rest of the field!

Everybody's welcome....but we cant cater for walkers. It's first 800 and we're not checking C.V.s. As long as you can run 4 miles, you should be ok.
    You'll find last year's results here - use your expected time to see how you might fare out.

Anyway there's no shame in coming last......been there, done that & got the t-shirt! In fact, it took me 75:04 to finish a 5 mile race - 19 mins behind second last!! .....but that's another story!

Thanks for that.

I've entered. Should be good. Gonna make a long weekend out of it!

I won't be walking. Hopefully I'll come in around the 30 min mark.

Hopefully the legs will be OK after Belfast this weekend :D

Open since 11am today - 347 places gone - 453 left! 800 only - no late entries!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Condo131 wrote: »
    Entries for The Cheetah Run opened HERE on Run Ireland just before 11am. 800 places - 137 gone already (inside an hour!)

Thanks for the heads-up, I'm in!

401 entries, as of 20:55 - race limit of 800 likely to be reached tomorrow.

opus wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up, I'm in!

I'm staying in Cobh that night and the night after... Any recommendations for a decent bit of food and a pint??

steviecakes, I'll see what I can find out about local fare. .......Meantime...528 entries as at 9am today. It looks like we may sell out all 800 places within 24 hours of opening! Enter the Cheetah Run

We reached the 800 entries limit at 20:43 this evening, some 34 hours after opening entries.

Unfortunately very many people were taken by surprise at the speed at which this race, run in spectacular surroundings, filled up, and were disappointed to miss out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

We reached the 800 entries limit at 20:43 this evening, some 34 hours after opening entries.

Unfortunately very many people were taken by surprise at the speed at which this race, run in spectacular surroundings, filled up, and were disappointed to miss out.
    Well done Condo. a great testament to the popularity of running in the cork area.
    However you will probably get a few whingers complaining about the entry system. All these new-fangled computer systems - you should have had a postal entry system. Much fairer!! :D
    Looking forward to it.

Thanks RICHIE-RICHIE!

Entry method: I know! :rolleyes: One of Murphy's laws is "If you try to please everybody, somebody will object!" Unfortunately, with a race where there is an entry limit, there isn't an answer to the problem of entry method. If you go with postal, you're entries just keep on coming, and your limit is shot to hell.

The prime reason for 800 is on safety grounds, particularly at the start. We plan to introduce some new measures this year, so we'll see how they work out, with a view to increasing the limit next year.

Haven't had any whinging yet......but plenty of phone calls, texts & messages ...."Please, please.....just me....I won't tell anyone!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Thanks RICHIE-RICHIE!

Entry method: I know! :rolleyes: One of Murphy's laws is "If you try to please everybody, somebody will object!" Unfortunately, with a race where there is an entry limit, there isn't an answer to the problem of entry method. If you go with postal, you're entries just keep on coming, and your limit is shot to hell.

The prime reason for 800 is on safety grounds, particularly at the start. We plan to introduce some new measures this year, so we'll see how they work out, with a view to increasing the limit next year.

Haven't had any whinging yet......but plenty of phone calls, texts & messages ...."Please, please.....just me....I won't tell anyone!"

Ballycotton took 2 days ;)

Condo131... I meant to ask, what's the story with spectators for this? I assume the park is closed for the day by the time the race starts?

Do spectators need to pay in or will they be able to just come along or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

As far as I know, one spectator will be allowed free entry with each registered runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Condo131... I meant to ask, what's the story with spectators for this? I assume the park is closed for the day by the time the race starts?

This is on the Eagle AC website who are organising the race
    "The race entry includes access to Fota Wildlife Park and all Parking Charges. The normal cost of this is €14 per adult, or €44 for a family of two adults and two children. The car park exit fee is €3.
    Families: Familes and other persons accompanying race entrants and Race Stewards will be allowed access Fota Wildlife Park provided they are accompanied through the access door by an athlete in possession of a race number. Unaccompanied persons will not be admitted."

Thanks for the info. Just myself and the missus heading down to do it so I'll only have the one spectator with me!

From Race Info & Instructions (Must update them!! :eek:)
    Families: Families and other persons accompanying race entrants and Race Stewards will be allowed access Fota Wildlife Park provided they are accompanied through the access door by an athlete in possession of a race number. Unaccompanied persons will not be admitted.
    Route

steviecakes, I'll see what I can find out about local fare. .......Meantime...528 entries as at 9am today. It looks like we may sell out all 800 places within 24 hours of opening! Enter the Cheetah Run

Well, any update for me on recommended places to eat & drink in Cobh??? :D

Well, any update for me on recommended places to eat & drink in Cobh??? :D
    ....I did make a few enquiries! :o:o:o

Anyway...I sent a mail out to the Club after your mail. I got a range of replies..some of which would be edited by the mods if I re-posted.

This is the best:
    "Gilbert’s (they do an early bird) and Trade Winds (think they do one too as their mains can be pricey) would be the best recommendations – it’s slim pickings in Cobh to be honest for food compared to Kinsale and Midleton!! Kelly’s is a good spot for a few drinks and there’s a trad session in the Donkey which is in Top O’ The Hill of a Wednesdee (I do most of my Cobh drinking in the Donkey tis like Cheers in there everyone knows your name J) – there’s a few Chinese’s about the place too my favourite would be the one in Bellavista (China Sea)!! Oh Trade Winds also have a bar menu in the downstairs part which might suit, upstairs is more fancy"

Another mentioned a new (unnamed) restaurant in the square by the Lusitania monument. Nice but expensive apparently.

Pub: Roaring Donkey (aka "The first and last" by the locals)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Any idea what to do on race day do you need a printout confirming your entry or just turn up and give your name on the day.
    First time entering a race and never used the runireland website before.
    Don't want to turn up on the day and not be able to run.

You only need a printout/email if you are picking up someone else's number for them, otherwise just come to the registration desks and pick up your number.

All the numbers have been assigned in our Racemaster Race Management System and we're doing a cross-check tomorrow evening. Numbers will be posted on the Eagle AC website, probably on Monday and we will also be emailing all entrants with the full list of Race Numbers. Simply look up your number and come along to the reg desks on the night to pick up your Race Bib number. If you forget what your number is, don't worry, we'll have a Helpdesk crew, who'll be able to sort it for you. There will be at least 4 reg desks, so number pickup should be painless.

In addition to the list of Race Numbers, we'll also be attaching specific instructions wrt safety and starting time zones. If these safety measures work out, we'll consider increasing the entry limit of 800 next year.

Well I did this earlier. Great event! Pity I was too knackered to enjoy all the surroundings properly! I clocked myself at 29:36 so happy with that. Couple of tough hills!

Seemed to be a great set up with refreshments afterwards. Didn't stick around tho as we were in a hurry to get showered and then out to that drive in cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

Well I did this earlier. Great event!
    +1
    A smoothly run event, a real benchmark for other events.
    Registration was the easiest ever, walk up, no queues (despite 800 runners).
    Great parking, easy to get in and out. great grub, lovely course, race started on time, plenty of stewards

well done to all at Eagle AC, and Fota Wildlife Park,and any other volunteers.

Also would like to commend the runners on the minutes silence for one of the Eagle ACs family member who died. It was well observed and a reality check for all able to participate and be there on the night.

+1
    Great parking, easy to get in and out. great grub, lovely course, race started on time, plenty of stewards

Also would like to commend the runners on the minutes silence for one of the Eagle ACs family member who died. It was well observed and a reality check for all able to participate and be there on the night.

What he said! :)

Thanks to all at Eagle for their efforts. Very well put together event and plenty of cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

+1

+1 Thanks to all concerned, worth the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

slowsteady wrote: »
    +1

+1 Thanks to all concerned, worth the trip.
    Agreed fantastic run couldn't ask for more many thanks to all involv
    ed.

Thanks to knipper, slowsteady, EauRouge79, RICHIE-RICH and steviecakes for the reviews.

There's lots of hype on Boards about scenic races For those of you who weren't there, this is one bit of scenery that you won't see in many Irish races:
    index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=83&Itemid=43

Wrt the minute's silence, we were moved by the response, despite the large field, to the minute's silence, as a mark of respect to our Chief steward's daughter who died, unexpectedly, the day before the race. You could have heard a pin drop! On behalf of Eagle AC, I want to thank everyone for observing it respectfully. It meant a lot to us.

• Advertisement

....I did make a few enquiries! :o:o:o

Anyway...I sent a mail out to the Club after your mail. I got a range of replies..some of which would be edited by the mods if I re-posted.

This is the best:
    "Gilbert’s (they do an early bird) and Trade Winds (think they do one too as their mains can be pricey) would be the best recommendations – it’s slim pickings in Cobh to be honest for food compared to Kinsale and Midleton!!"

Another mentioned a new (unnamed) restaurant in the square by the Lusitania monument. Nice but expensive apparently.

We went to Gilberts last night for dinner. Food was absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for the tips!

Also had a couple of pints in the Quays bar which was just next door to our hotel - pity the weather was so bad - looks like that place has a decent beer garden looking out over the harbour!

Advertisement