Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bere Island

Options
  • 11-04-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey guys. I was wondering if there was any local knowledge of Bantry bay area. Especiallly around Bere Island! As I am planning a trip around it in a few weeks. I suppose I am wondering about currents etc on the southern side of the island and what to expect on the trip. My friends and I are fairly capable paddlers but would value some sound insight as to what to expect.
    Some help would be more than appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tphase

I'd start by looking it up here ... http://www.oileain.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

From paddling and sailing around there I remember four things:

Stay outside the firing range buoys on the outside of Bere Island.

Some big swell coming up against the outside cliffs of the island and bouncing back off again.

Watch out for fishing trawlers steaming in and out of Castletownbere.

The western entrance to Castletownbere can get pretty exciting once you have wind against tide there.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭privatebob

cool...as for the ranges and Bouy's. I will know if or not there is firing going on down there as I am in the army so will have plenty info on that regard. Suppose got to make sure we time the tides and hopfully get a slack day with the wind in order to have a lesuirley day

Advertisement