Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Licence Query/upgrading 50cc scooter to 125cc

• 11-04-2012 7:55pm

Hi guys

I've had my full (b) car drivers licence since 2004 meaning I get a 50cc on the side if i want. And after seeing this post here , I have a question to ask.

I currently have a 50cc vespa but inevitably, it's a pain in the arse now and I want a quicker version of the same style of bike really and want a 125cc.

So does anyone know if I still need to go do the theory test/IBT or am I in the clear? I wanted to call the motor tax office but just thought it would be easier to ask you lads first...

cheers fellas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Nearly sure you'd have to get a Provo bike licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Hi guys

I've had my full (b) car drivers licence since 2004 meaning I get a 50cc on the side if i want. And after seeing this post here , I have a question to ask.

I currently have a 50cc vespa but inevitably, it's a pain in the arse now and I want a quicker version of the same style of bike really and want a 125cc.

So does anyone know if I still need to go do the theory test/IBT or am I in the clear? I wanted to call the motor tax office but just thought it would be easier to ask you lads first...

cheers fellas
    As above, you will have to do the IBT, sit the theory test then apply for a learner permit. You should go for the full A licence this time around or you could end up having to do the process all over again later down the road.
    As an asside, it's definitely worth chancing your arm at the local tax office and play the ignorance card, some staff members also play it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

The order of things to do is as follows - theory test first, then learner permit, then IBT, which when completed, allows you to ride on the road. (of course you get a bike and insure it somewhere in there too!). You can't take your test for a min of 6 months.

The licencing rules change again in the next couple of years, so it's in your own interest to get sorted asap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

gipi wrote: »
    The order of things to do is as follows - theory test first, then learner permit, then IBT, which when completed, allows you to ride on the road. (of course you get a bike and insure it somewhere in there too!). You can't take your test for a min of 6 months.

The licencing rules change again in the next couple of years, so it's in your own interest to get sorted asap!

January 19th 2013. It'll be a costly exercise for guys starting out from that date.

Linky: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Consultations/Consultation%20Changes%20to%20DL%20System.pdf
    Read from page 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi guys

I currently have a 50cc vespa but inevitably
    , it's a pain in the arse

Does your Vespa exceed 45km/h? If it can your not licensed to drive it, you need an A1. Your better off getting the A.

now and I want a quicker version of the same style of bike really and want a 125cc.

cheers fellas

Call the RSA not a tax office, I've called them a few times with licensing issues, as they are the people who control the licences. Any query I had they answered, when I applied for my EC licence the person in the Tax office didn't know what the E was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Del2005 wrote: »
    Call the RSA not a tax office, I've called them a few times with licensing issues, as they are the people who control the licences. Any query I had they answered, when I applied for my EC licence the person in the Tax office didn't know what the E was.
    That's why I'm saying it's worth a shot trying the tax office in person, I've heard of them getting it wrong and adding categories to licences or issuing learner permits when they shouldn't have.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    That's why I'm saying it's worth a shot trying the tax office in person, I've heard of them getting it wrong and adding categories to licences or issuing learner permits when they shouldn't have.

Very true. When I passed my A test 4 weeks ago I went to the Motor Tax Office to get it added to my full Licence (B+C+W) and the chap behind the counter was giving me back my LP because I still had EC on it. I explained to him that I have to surrender both my LP and Full licence to get it added (Can't have a full A and LP A at the same time) and if I want my LP back I'd have to fill out another form with two photos. He said "Yeah, that makes sense all right" and took the paperwork off me.

What a plonker :rolleyes:

Hi Lads

Thanks for that, I'll chance it with the motor tax office anyway.

I've also booked my theory test in next week for bikes. When do I get to pick that I want an "A" licence as opposed to an A1? I just don't want to get the A1 by mistake...

Cheers

Hi Lads

Thanks for that, I'll chance it with the motor tax office anyway.

I've also booked my theory test in next week for bikes. When do I get to pick that I want an "A" licence as opposed to an A1? I just don't want to get the A1 by mistake...

Cheers

The theory covers A1,A and M. All you need to do is mark A on your LP form. Simples.

Excellent, well I got my theory test cert today which was cool.

So going to get over to the motor tax office tomorrow to get a move on with this. How long does this take? Is it done there and then?

Cheers lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Excellent, well I got my theory test cert today which was cool.

So going to get over to the motor tax office tomorrow to get a move on with this. How long does this take? Is it done there and then?

Cheers lads

You can ride on the receipt and it usually takes about a week for it to be posted out.

Advertisement