Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Issue with Eircom BB

• 11-04-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Recently got Eircom as we moved into a new house. It's 15mb down going by the router (Speed : 15360 kbps / 765 kbps)

Anyways, having a strange issue now and again.
    We have a laptop, ipad, 2 phones and 2 xboxs connected up to the modem with no problems.
    There is also a desktop PC, which has a Wireless Belkin USB adapter (never a prob with UPC)

Now and again the Desktop PC will lose connectivity to the modem for no apparent reason.
    Although it will say it's still connected to the network, just no internet connection.
    I can't reach the modem settings (192.168.1.254) once this happens however.

Disabling/Enabling the adapter, reseating, flushing DNS, releasing IP, renewing IP etc does not seem to help at all.

The only workaround I've come accross is a hard reboot of the modem.

When the desktop loses connectivity, no other device in the house does.

I'm at a loss as to what could be causing it.

Signal strength is excellent, we are on a clear channel, firmwares are up to date, SSID and passwords etc are protected, USB adapter is working perfectly.

Anyone any ideas ?

Unfortunately I can't replicate the error on demand, it is just random.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

I've gotten this in the past also. It seems to be a problem regarding heavy usage of the desktop while other devices are connected. Leaving the router off for a few minutes and restarting it usually works for us.
    It pretty much only occurs when I am downloading a game, film or other large files. Not sure if that helps you any. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Wireless Belkin USB adapter

Without a doubt the worst networking equipment manufacturer going. Thought that may or may not be the problem in this case.

Wireless connections are prone to all kinds of problems, and the problem can be at the computer end, the router, or anywhere in between. Rule out wireless first by connection through an Ethernet cable.

Change the Wifi settings on the router (change channel), use InSSIDer to see what other networks are in your area and what channels they use. Use a channel that isn't being used already.

I you're not able to reach the router settings page when the problem occurs, then you're not connected to the network any more.

Advertisement