Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia Sorento Shocks and Tyres

• 11-04-2012 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi folks, I would appreciate a bit of advice please.

I am a long time Boards lurker but rare poster!

I am driving an 05 2.5CRDI Kia Sorento 134kw diesel passenger jeep. The back left shock is weeping which means she is fluid filled. That means both need replacing. Some people try to say they are self levelling. Two different garages and two autofactors all say different things regarding the shocks.

My question is when replacing do I need get self levelling shocks or do I get a brace of heavy duty Koni shocks and replace the springs also, as these shocks - whilst fluid filled - would not be self levelling. Bear in mind I tow 2.5 tons twice a week for a sixty mile round trip.

Whilst I'm at it what tyres should I use - any advice/opinions? She takes 245/70/r16. Hankooks on at minute.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bring it to a kia dealer, theyll tell you if its self leveling or not. theres a high chance that if its an original irish car (not a UK import) with cloth seats that it is not self leveling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Tyre wise, don't skimp on quality. BF Goodrich give mega mileage but Hancook, Coopers, General and Pirelli are all good.

I don't know how many tyres you need to replace or how the Sorento's 4wd system works but some 4x4s need to keep matched tyres all round or you'll trash the transmission eventually (Freelander 1s are good at this :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Almost all standard shocks are oil filled so this doesn't tell you much.

I've personally never seen a Sorrento with self levelling suspension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Interesting thoughts there. Kia dealer quoted E1500 to replace both shocks......Autofactors E400......some thought self levelling.

She is original Irish.....has SH and fully loaded. A nice bus.

I have same tyres all round at mo so will probably stick with them.

Thanks lads.

Advertisement