Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden gates

• 11-04-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Right, I am still having issues with these damn things. I bought some iroko hardwood gates second hand and sanded the varnish off them and undercoated them 2 times sanding in between. I ran out at the end and had to buy more undercoat in the shop. Had to go to homebase and they sold me white undercoat and said it would work even though I am painting the gates black but the guy said that it's fine. It's for internal and/or external wood.

I was then waiting to paint them for he's and with 2 kids just couldn't find the time so hired a painter who took them away and painted them for me. Now I have them back but when I scrape my fingernail across them the black satinwood paint comes off on my nail. Should this happen or do I need afew more coats? He said he gave it three coats of the satinwood.

I just don't want paint to come off every time I touch the things. I need them to keep the kids from running out to the road

Any help?

Can you "harden" the paint to the wood?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Which product did he use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Like teak, Iroko secretes an oil which will throw paint off eventually....it should have been aluminium primed when you sanded it back, then undercoated. The oils don't affect varnish in the same way.
    Satinwood, as far I was taught, is only an interior paint, it's too soft for outdoor use. I would make up a half and half of gloss and u/c, erring on more gloss to harden it for external weathering.
    Not what you wanted to hear, but I can't see any other solution but starting again, don't spend any more time and money trying to remedy what you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Like teak, Iroko secretes an oil which will throw paint off eventually....it should have been aluminium primed when you sanded it back, then undercoated. The oils don't affect varnish in the same way.
    Satinwood, as far I was taught, is only an interior paint, it's too soft for outdoor use. I would make up a half and half of gloss and u/c, erring on more gloss to harden it for external weathering.
    Not what you wanted to hear, but I can't see any other solution but starting again, don't spend any more time and money trying to remedy what you have.

Good advice,

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

Happyman42 wrote: »

I was looking to avoid the gloss look and wanted a Matt finish but settled on a satinwood finish. Can iroko wood gates be dipped to strip back to bare wood?

It was Fleet wood weather clad exterior satin paint that was used. I don't think that was the problem though was it?

Advertisement