Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is diesel for me?

• 11-04-2012 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all
    Hoping someone can help me ? I am doing 300 miles a week and was wondering if i should buy a diesel car? Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would. Kinda depends though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Delboy11

What would it depend on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How new a car you want, your insurance situation, what sort of driving you do, how you long you expect to be doing that sort of milege, how much youre spending.

Personally I'd go diesel unless doing small, Local enough miles (like me)

Was thinking of a Focus 1.6 diesel ?

Not sure if i should go for an older diesel or newer one seems to be a lot of problems with newer diesel engines. Been driving that distance for the last 12 years but petrol price is killing me as i drive an Impreza at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

IMO it depends on if your 300 miles per week is stop start city/urban driving or if its extra-urban/motorway driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gin Fizz

I have a diesel car and I do about 400 miles per week give or take. I think with the fuel prices and the mpg it does make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless your Impreza is the 1.5 then most petrol cars you look at will still be better on fuel than a WRX or STi. They will also be cheaper to buy over a similar diesel model. 300 miles a week is less than 16k miles a year which is borderline diesel mileage. Really depends on the kind of mileage too, is that mostly motorway mileage or trips around town? Modern diesels don't like short trips.

Advertisement