Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Reliability Question

• 11-04-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭

The way I gauge this is the amount of non service items that fail versus other marques.

BMW's, and the Germans brands in general, suffer many more failures of things like, rads, PS pumps, electrical items, etc etc then other, often much cheaper, brands.

This is a partial quote from the Doc in the "Defend BMW" thread.
    ND, you have alluded to this before, that for the price some of the German premium brands demand, the quality should be better.
    Can I ask as a non franchise mechanic, which make and models you would consider to be reliable? I often wonder what mechanics think on this.
    This question is not just for the doctor, and I only started a new thread so as not to pull the other one off track.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭xual

If its well looked after and maintained on queue any car can last. Now putting that beautiful statement to one side...

Here is an example of something. Volkswagen Passats sometimes leak condensation in on the drivers side door. Under the floor on that side there is a junction box that if it gets damp can cause a few silly electrical shorts. Its not a bad car but there are a few unforseen things like that. With a combination of bad luck you can get caught out.

Peugeot 407s have an earthing flaw in the rear lights and when its damp they short and the computer gives back some stupid alarms. Sell a Peugeot in the summer.

Toyotas and mazdas wear through drop links. They're only 25 quid for a set but its a silly job you will need to do before every second NCT depending on how rough the roads you travel.

I've driven 4 toyotas (Carina II, Corolla, Avensis, Corolla d-4d ) a passat, 407, citreon c5, ford mondeo. If you put the money into maintainence the fords will last really well. If you are lazy and cheap the toyota will withstand your abuse. Passat's are very comfortable and a great drive but they must be maintained on queue and they get pricey after a while. Hondas are a very tough and well built car.

I recently went through every diesel trying to find a car for commuting. and I settled on a D-4D 2.0l Corolla. It gives 65MPG ( All motorway driving ) and its solid. They're are nicer cars but I couldn't find a decent diesel civic or accord. The corolla is solid, won't break and I know them inside out.

There is a car for every job and every taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

In the other thread I compared to older Micra's etc, but of course, they are among the most reliable cars on the road.

My point has always been that BMW's don't really suffer any more failures then other marques, in fact you could make a list of common faults for just about any car you can think of, the thing is though, that for the image of cutting edge, high tech, premium quality, ultimate driving joy jibberish, they should not be having failures of the basic things like cooling systems, charging systems, power steering etc etc. Most of these systems have been around for donkeys years and I can't imagine any reason why they should not be much more reliable then they are.

My only explanation is that they spend their money and time on the things that make the car 'feel' quality and the rest is contracted out to the lowest bidder just like any other manufacturer these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Can I ask as a non franchise mechanic, which make and models you would consider to be reliable? I often wonder what mechanics think on this.
    This question is not just for the doctor, and I only started a new thread so as not to pull the other one off track.

I'm surprised, nobody answered this. I thought there would be at least a couple praising their favourites.
    The answer must be all of them, or none of them. Maybe the koreans are the new japs. Or what's that new yoke james may goes on about, Simca 100 or somthing like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm surprised, nobody answered this. I thought there would be at least a couple praising their favourites.
    The answer must be all of them, or none of them. Maybe the koreans are the new japs. Or what's that new yoke james may goes on about, Simca 100 or somthing like that.
    A new Simca?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ND isn't a car maker franchised mechanic....

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    I think the OP wants the opinions of non-franchise mechanics.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think the OP wants the opinions of non-franchise mechanics.:)

Exactly. :)

Exactly. :)
    I'll go get some coffee..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

In my time i've driven and owned Fords, Minis, BMWs, Nissans and Toyotas and finally a Subaru.

I'd go with Toyota and Subaru (had for the last 8 years).

Found Fords awkward to work on, BMWs are great.

Toyotas are a proper hardy car.

On my own car i've done regular maintenance on my Impreza, plus changed timing belt/ water pump and the clutch and cv joints boots.

Car is going grand still.

Advertisement