Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice in Wonderland

Options
  • 11-04-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

6922763092_7eb939018d_z.jpg
    Alice in Wonderland at the Mermaid Theatre 11/04/2012
    Sunshine Stage School is made up of talented young people between the ages of 4 and 21, in Wicklow. The school was established in 2003 and has become one of the largest stage schools in the area.

They have a staff of experienced teachers who sprinkle their magic Sunshine formula on their students helping each student reach their own individual potential. They love to sing, dance and act, have fun and most importantly make new friends. They meet every weekend at St. Patrick’s Recreation Centre in Greystones during the school year. Every April/May they put on a full scale musical at The Mermaid Arts Centre in Bray and every single student in the school is involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cdiv

Great pics as ever, what's your technique for getting such crisp pictures in those conditions? No flash, no tripod, lots of movement, and low light make it very challenging not to end up with blurry shots

• Advertisement

cdiv wrote: »
    Great pics as ever, what's your technique for getting such crisp pictures in those conditions? No flash, no tripod, lots of movement, and low light make it very challenging not to end up with blurry shots

Thank you.
    I used a Nikon D700 camera with in this case a 105mm F2.8 lens. Because this camera is one of the best noise handling cameras on the market I am able to use a very high ISO setting. Also this lens has vibration reduction (VR) so enables me to work without tripod usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

John, did you pre-set ISO higher at 2500 and have mode setting to Aperture Priority for these? Just looking at the Exif info...

Does the higher ISO let you get warmer shots in general or does it do something else? Learning as I go here.

With each different environment I look to learn what settings I should be using to get the best outcome without a tonne of bad shots!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

The higher ISO allows for a faster shutter speed at a set aperture.
    I was at 4.5 aperture and 2500 ISO which allowed a shutter speed
    of 0.002 sec (1/640)
    If I had used a lower ISO my shutter speed would have been slower which in turn would have caused a blurry photo if using camera handheld.
    Slower shutter speed = longer exposure.
    Test it yourself.
    Use an aperture of 5.6 in aperture priority, set ISO to 200, now see what shutter speed you get.
    Then up the ISO to 1600 at same aperture 5.6 and you should get a faster shutter speed. This test should be done in dull or low light to see the effect which results show.
    Warning: Some cameras will show lots of noise speckles at an ISO setting above 400 ISO and this will ruin the shot.

Advertisement