Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

o'Brien has been pinged since the world cup when turning over ball, perfectly legally IMO.
    Hope these test make the refs sit up and take notice, might have another can't-do-any-wrong Richie clone on our hands :D.
    I personally rate him higher than Warburton as long as the ref isn't on his back.

If I was Heaslip I'd go back to the barnstorming, if appears some guys appreciate a back row running over a number 9s more than one who contributes everywhere else, sure didn't oBrien get player of the year running at backs!

^
    That last part about Heaslip is sarcasm BTW:D

Haha I know, I'll never get the proof reader's gig:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Considering the injuries we have at the moment I think that's a strong team that's been named, now I'm not sure that we can go out and win but I certainly think we can play a similar game to what we played last weekend and then anything can happen.

I'm delighted for Paddy Wallace, hope he has a stormer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

By the look of the picture. It's not terribly wide - probably 35mm sort of range.
    From the picture properties:

Camera model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
    F-stop: f/4
    Exposure time: 1/100 sec
    ISO speed: ISO-1000
    Focal length: 17mm

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pynchy

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    He looks a fair bit bigger than D'Arcy here

GordonDArcy1_IrelandweightsRWCWellington.jpg
    To be fair, he has the advantage of standing closer to the camera here, and also the camera is using a wide-angle lens.

the camera does not look wide angle at all you can tell because the the lines on the ground are totally straight. Aside from that he is bigger than darcy who is relatively small and stocky.

Im so excited about thus match im nearly wetting myself... Dont care who plays as long as there some seriously pumped up spirit and fast moving forward ball. Mind you none of the wingers have impressed so far at all... Defensively or in attack.

Delighted to see earls on the wing and hopefully he will roam all over the place.

Fairly disappointed with kearneys stamp on the matches but obviously the high ball is out of the question apart from one last week where he was clearly held back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Comparing Darcy verus Wallaces muscles is making this conversation weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

wonton wrote: »
    completely irrelevent to everything to do with anything

but darcys bicep in this pic looks so weird

Wales+v+Ireland+RBS+Six+Nations+SEhCNOaWkLe+q6myF6fk-su+1024x1024.jpg

INPHO_00528212.jpg

Anything D'arcy can do....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Swiwi wrote: »
    Great blog, that website, whoever writes it knows a bit about rugby.
    Off to watch the soccer...does that get me banned permanently from this site :)

agreed that's an excellent blog...mental note to spend some lunch breaks trawling through it.

very good points made re POC's ball carrying...which has frustrated the bejaysus out of me for about 3 seasons now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

bamboozle wrote: »
    agreed that's an excellent blog...mental note to spend some lunch breaks trawling through it.

very good points made re POC's ball carrying...which has frustrated the bejaysus out of me for about 3 seasons now.

I thought I was the only one... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I'd question his listed weight anyway. He looks a fair bit bigger than D'Arcy here

I don't think he looks bigger then D'Arcy, he just has big arms. Truthfully unless the camera is doing something strange I would have to question his gym work due to the highly disproportionate arm size, as they are shocking bad.

From the look of it his arms are bigger then his legs which in a rugby player just shouldn't happen. Actually his legs look scarily small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I don't think he looks bigger then D'Arcy, he just has big arms. Truthfully unless the camera is doing something strange I would have to question his gym work due to the highly disproportionate arm size, as they are shocking bad.

From the look of it his arms are bigger then his legs which in a rugby player just shouldn't happen. Actually his legs look scarily small
    Very wide angle lens. You can't really judge relative sizes when the photo was taken with such a wide angle. Even looking at the relative widths of the tape on the floor would tell you that it's a distorted perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

rrpc wrote: »
    Very wide angle lens. You can't really judge relative sizes when the photo was taken with such a wide angle. Even looking at the relative widths of the tape on the floor would tell you that it's a distorted perspective.

Wide angle lens wouldn't account for the disproportionality of his arm size, as I would expect to see his torso and forearms showing the same effect at that point which they aren't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Paddy is on the "beach boy" weights it seems! You'd get an awful slagging for that in my club, I'd be afraid to do a bicep curl in the gym!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

rrpc wrote: »
    From the picture properties:

Camera model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
    F-stop: f/4
    Exposure time: 1/100 sec
    ISO speed: ISO-1000
    Focal length: 17mm
    Yikes - 17mm is super wide. I thought when I saw '17' it would then double up to 34mm due to the small sensor 'multiplier', and I'd do a lap of honour around the Rugby forum. But the EOS-1D is a full-frame camera, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

fitz wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one... :p

We should set up a group to help us get through the internationals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Wide angle lens wouldn't account for the disproportionality of his arm size, as I would expect to see his torso and forearms showing the same effect at that point which they aren't

Another strange one re arms from BOD

30voims.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

The thing about Wallace is, although he's light, he's very strong and has good technique. So much so that he's a much better defender than people give him credit for. I'd question his listed weight anyway. He looks a fair bit bigger than D'Arcy here

GordonDArcy1_IrelandweightsRWCWellington.jpg

OT: What type of lift is D'Arcy doin here lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Is the game tomorrow morning televised anywhere? Or streaming anywhere?*
    Thanks so much.

*I'm sincerely sorry if this was asked already, or is in a sticky somewhere. I couldn't find it, and didn't want to start a new thread or read 208 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

100gSoma wrote: »
    Is the game tomorrow morning televised anywhere? Or streaming anywhere?*
    Thanks so much.

*I'm sincerely sorry if this was asked already, or is in a sticky somewhere. I couldn't find it, and didn't want to start a new thread or read 208 pages.

sky sports 1.

Ill be stuck listening to it in work on my tunein radio app as its not even on any of the irish radio stations afaik

we cant discuss streams on the forums anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Thanks for that Wonton. Perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yikes - 17mm is super wide. I thought when I saw '17' it would then double up to 34mm due to the small sensor 'multiplier', and I'd do a lap of honour around the Rugby forum. But the EOS-1D is a full-frame camera, no?

It is indeed, and even if it was a medium frame camera the crop factor would be 1.4x or 1.6x rather than 2x so you'd be hard pressed to find your 34mm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

CoDy1 wrote: »

Barbell twist is what I've always seen it called. He's moving the barbell side to side by rotating his trunk, letting his torso do most of the work. Works core muscles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Rugby forum lads.

Photography forum here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

back on track, i reckon we'll never have a better chance to beat NZ than tomorrow (on paper) the NZ team is weak/inexperienced in the crucial area of 8-9-10

if our pack can tear into them up front, expecially at scrum time the halfbacks can be unsettled. Ross will be one week fitter & our front five are easily the match of theirs.

On the flip side, i expect NZ to bounce back after last weeks game and put in a very big performance....which has me thinking they'll win by about 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

leftleg wrote: »
    Another strange one re arms from BOD

30voims.jpg
    Any one have an idea why a bicep would bulge like this? It looks like it's bunched up at one end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Apparently BODs bicep is detached so it's always making weird shapes. It was something I read yonks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

how fitting it would be for BOD to be the first Irishman to lead Ireland to victory against All Blacks -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

thebaz wrote: »
    how fitting it would be for BOD to be the first Irishman to lead Ireland to victory against All Blacks -

Very fitting considering he's been the greatest Irish player of all time

Hope he does it too

Would be delighted for him but that would be reined in slightly by POC not being able to be part of it. This was his last ever chance to tour NZ so have to feel for him slightly. He'll be 34 if NZ tour Ireland in 2013 of which there's no guarantee.

Excellent interview with BOD in today's Times. Really insightful and honest about his career to date. Amazing to hear that, after week 1 of the Lions in 2005, he never trained once with Denis Hickie. Good comments about ROG and McFadden also. Perhaps gives people a bit more idea of why they're on tour. Attitude comes into consideration on these things.

I've been quite critical of McFadden in the past but interesting to hear BOD speak of him as someone that "won't be broken" and the presence of someone like that makes you want to play harder yourself.

Get the impression we might be looking at the last 12 months of Brian O'Driscoll given his contract expires next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

CoDy1 wrote: »

Advertisement