Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 RenoAl

Well at least he is consistent in his policy...8th in the world, and rapidly declining in the ranks, wrong selection, wrong game plan and wrong coach...No wonder the IRFU is worried about Leinster success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

How long left on the contract?

Someone needs to make a countdown clock website please...

http://www.kidneyclock.net/

Be careful what you wish for...

kidhead.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

chupacabra wrote: »

kidhead.png

LOL, but 365 days, i know i will be checking this clock creep along slowly every day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I have huge respect for McLaughlin, the amount of work he goes through on the field is phenomenal but the main things against him is that he is only really an option at 6 + second row cover. POM and Henry can both cover multiple positions (and I actually believe they are probably more "talented" although McLaughlin brings a huge physicality that neither of the others can match yet) while Ferris and SOB are simply better players than him.

That's the main thing going against him though, imo. I'd still bring him anyway, his performances deserve to be rewarded and we need a bigger squad but if he's only picking that many back rows, I wouldn't pick him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jacknes

Depressing is about the only way to describe this squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

We can argue about selection all we want but until we actually have a decent back line coach we are getting nowhere fast....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Ah would you ever calm down. They're just a rugby team who haven't played together since November and never under their current coach.

You'd swear they were demi-gods the way the Irish go on about them some times. And the All Blacks love it. The best skills coach I've ever played under used to bemoan the lack of self belief in Irish players. We put the All Blacks on this ridiculous pedestal some times.

Calm down over what? That I said I don't think an uncapped outhalf would cause havoc to a backline with Carter, Smith and Nonu.

If you've got your own opinion on Irish belief in rugby take it up with someone who actually cares as opposed to having a go at someone with the belief any uncapped outhalf playing against any experienced and talented 10-12-13 axis in world rugby would struggle.

Hardly an over-statement is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

its_phil wrote: »
    Calm down over what? That I said I don't think an uncapped outhalf would cause havoc to a backline with Carter, Smith and Nonu.

If you've got your own opinion on Irish belief in rugby take it up with someone who actually cares as opposed to having a go at someone with the belief any uncapped outhalf playing against any experienced and talented 10-12-13 axis in world rugby.
    :confused:

No.

Yes.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

chupacabra wrote: »

kidhead.png

*changes home page*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

rrpc wrote: »

No.

Yes.

What?

Changed it there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

fitz wrote: »
    d-gal wrote: »
    Don't know why people are giving out about McLaughlin. He has Ferris, SOB, POM ahead of him who are far better players than him. Henry and Ryan can also cover the position. Then there is Muldoon who has played far better than him this season (if people actually watched Connacht regularly this year they would know that).

It's one of the few calls Kidney got right this year and if anything Muldoon should be next on the list. He will be dying for revenge against NZ after the arm break and he is playing fantastic rugby this year. He pretty much made a fool of England's captain Robshaw on 2 occasions this year

Pull the other one...
    You either haven't watched him for Leinster, or you don't know what it is your seeing.

You would be mad to think Kev is better than POM. POM could be a future Irish captain. Currently 2nd or 3rd in line for Munster captaincy and arguably Munster's best player this year. Kev is a good club player but is a good bit away from being an regular international.

Re Tox comment on why do always Connacht fans say this...its because majority of Irish fans rarely see more than a handful of our games and yet make stupid comments on players they rarely see. Not aiming it at you just at the general person who thinks watching just HC matches makes him/her warrant an opinion on which Connacht players are worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭A-Train

It doesn't need to be said but just the same old story from Deccie as usual.

After watching the All-Ireland at the weekend this was the big come down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

DK and the IRFU know how to bring supporters to tears. After watching one of the best HC in years, the summer tour promises to be a disaster. It's been seriously poorly thought out, further augmented with with myopic and nonsensical selections we've seen today and soon to be coupled with tactical dirge and player mismanagement. Roll on the provincial preseason and DK's hopefully imminent departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

That countdown clock is brilliant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah here now I never said that. I said he should feature off the bench in the AIs. I'm in no way convinced Deccie agrees. :P

Apologies. All I meant is I agree he SHOULD be sprung. ;)

its_phil wrote: »
    There are very few players in world rugby who can cause havoc to the All Blacks. I refuse to believe any uncapped out-half would.

I'm not discrediting Madigan because he is a fine young player who has a future with Ireland but to say he'd cause "havoc" against the All Blacks this coming summer is quite an over statement.

I didn't.

I was talking about Ulster... The question posed was who would I pick to start against Ulster on saturday if I had a choice of Madigan or ROG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Disgusted today

Central contracts / munster bias wins again

Surprised he didn't try to lure mod out of retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Suits

Bring ROG is stupid. The guy's career is over at international level and if he had class he'd call it a day and concentrate on keeping Munster afloat. Madigan was one of the players that had to be picked for this tour and he wasnt...so same old again, why develop a squad when you can bring old near retired players. Murray and Earl's selections are a joke as both have shown several times they are not up to international rugby and will be exposed against the All Blacks(as they were against Wales and England). Next season and from then on Munster will struggle to reach the HEC knockouts I think and that will mean their players wont get top table rugby. Will we continue to see the same old crap from Kidney? Pick the good old boys ROG, Earls and Murray even if they are playing Amlin rugby against AP and french Top14/Bottom 7 teams? We need a coach that can pick the best team for the country and not his vested interest/bias in a province. The fact 10/15 of the Leinster team that lined out in Twickenham are currently available to play for Ireland, and that pushes to 11 if you add Luke Fitz in shows where rugby in Ireland is. 4 of the subs could easily have pushed for a place too. That's 15 Leinster players who are top of Europe and form what is said by many to be the best team on the planet right now. Lets not for get the Ulster lads who are as deserving too! But Kidney wont allow Leinster or Ulster to lead Irish rugby on, he is invested in Munster and will mostly likely stay so even if as many predict they are caught up by Connacht, he needs the sack and a proper coach has to be brought in for the good of the country.
    For what it's worth here's my test team:

15 Kearney
    14 McFadden(but kidney will pick earls instead so Carter can slot the ball over his head all day)
    13 BOD
    12 D'arcy
    11 Trimble
    10 Sexton
    9 Reddan
    8 Heaslip
    7 SOB
    6 Ferris
    5 POC(if fit Tuohy if not)
    4 Ryan
    3 Ross
    2 Best
    1 Healy

16 Cronin
    17 Fitzpatrick
    18 DOC(Tuohy)
    19 O'Mahony
    20 Boss(if fit)
    21 MADIGAN(but now we have the purple headed speedbump)
    22 Zebo

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

d-gal wrote: »
    You would be mad to think Kev is better than POM. POM could be a future Irish captain. Currently 2nd or 3rd in line for Munster captaincy and arguably Munster's best player this year. Kev is a good club player but is a good bit away from being an regular international.

Re Tox comment on why do always Connacht fans say this...its because majority of Irish fans rarely see more than a handful of our games and yet make stupid comments on players they rarely see. Not aiming it at you just at the general person who thinks watching just HC matches makes him/her warrant an opinion on which Connacht players are worthwhile

I must be mad so. But based on what I've seen this season, McLaughlin has performed better, against tougher opposition. I'm not saying POM isn't a good player, I just don't buy into the huge hype over him. He's played well, but hasn't done near enough to be talked about as a future Irish captain, that's just lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

The only thing that surprises me about this selection, is just how surprised most of you are that it would be like this. I've thrown my hope into the skip long ago I'm afraid and I'll never get excited for another team announcement until the end of Kidneys reign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Banbridgeman

For me McLaughlin has performed better than POM against better opposition. POM has had some great games but is overhyped in my opinion. For what it's worth I think Dominic Ryan will be better than him if he can stay injury free. I also think Henderson is already better than him

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Cullen 32 Ryan 29
    Zebo,Kearney and Gilroy at least share a year of birth

The comparison was made to belittle a very valid point.

I found the "more potential" comment hilarious tbh.

Leo Cullen 34
    Donnacha Ryan 28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Suits wrote: »
    Bring ROG is stupid. The guy's career is over at international level and if he had class he'd call it a day and concentrate on keeping Munster afloat. Madigan was one of the players that had to be picked for this tour and he wasnt...so same old again, why develop a squad when you can bring old near retired players. Murray and Earl's selections are a joke as both have shown several times they are not up to international rugby and will be exposed against the All Blacks(as they were against Wales and England). Next season and from then on Munster will struggle to reach the HEC knockouts I think and that will mean their players wont get top table rugby. Will we continue to see the same old crap from Kidney? Pick the good old boys ROG, Earls and Murray even if they are playing Amlin rugby against AP and french Top14/Bottom 7 teams? We need a coach that can pick the best team for the country and not his vested interest/bias in a province. The fact 10/15 of the Leinster team that lined out in Twickenham are currently available to play for Ireland, and that pushes to 11 if you add Luke Fitz in shows where rugby in Ireland is. 4 of the subs could easily have pushed for a place too. That's 15 Leinster players who are top of Europe and form what is said by many to be the best team on the planet right now. Lets not for get the Ulster lads who are as deserving too! But Kidney wont allow Leinster or Ulster to lead Irish rugby on, he is invested in Munster and will mostly likely stay so even if as many predict they are caught up by Connacht, he needs the sack and a proper coach has to be brought in for the good of the country.

14 McFadden(but kidney will pick earls instead so Carter can slot the ball over his head all day)

I'd love to meet the people who are predicting that!

Also the second highlighted bit is pretty hilarious, Earls is probably the best winger in the squad right now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Suits wrote: »

15 Kearney
    13 BOD
    12 D'arcy
    11 Trimble
    10 Sexton
    9 Reddan
    8 Heaslip
    7 SOB
    6 Ferris
    5 POC(if fit Tuohy if not)
    4 Ryan
    3 Ross
    2 Best
    1 Healy

16 Cronin
    17 Fitzpatrick
    18 DOC(Tuohy)
    19 O'Mahony
    20 Boss(if fit)
    21 MADIGAN(but now we have the purple headed speedbump)
    22 Zebo

What do you have against Earls?? He might have had a poor game against Wales in the WC, a lot of people did, but since then he's been very good, for club and country. I'd certainly much prefer to him to McFadden on the wing, and I'd definitely have him ahead of Zebo.

Kidney has made lots of questionable decisions but picking Earls is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

How Zebo is ahead of Dave Kearney defies logic. Kearney is a much better player than the overrated Zebo at present. Gilroy is better than Zebo.

Paddy Wallace finally gets an injury free run of games, playing well for Ulster.... and hes dropped!

DOC should be nowhere near the squad either. Clearly past his best.

Madigan is a far better player than ROG is now. How the likes of Zebo makes it and he doesn't is typical of Kidneys time in charge. Make minimum changes and cross your fingers and hope for results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

ROG has one bad game against ospreys and he's getting slated as past it. He shouldn't be flying for development purpoes though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

For me McLaughlin has performed better than POM against better opposition. POM has had some great games but is overhyped in my opinion. For what it's worth I think Dominic Ryan will be better than him if he can stay injury free. I also think Henderson is already better than him

The Peter O Mahoney hate is baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

POM has had a great season. Deserves his place 100% and anyone who questions his place there should watch a little more rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fireball07 wrote: »
    What do you have against Earls?? He might have had a poor game against Wales in the WC, a lot of people did, but since then he's been very good, for club and country. I'd certainly much prefer to him to McFadden on the wing, and I'd definitely have him ahead of Zebo.

Kidney has made lots of questionable decisions but picking Earls is not one of them.

I would, in general, prefer Earls on the wing to McFadden. I am slightly worried about him returning to his utility back role though, as it just causes him to perform worse in every position.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »

Agreed. I'm not a fan of Earls at centre, but he MUST be in the starting 15, he's a fantastic raw talent.

If anything Kidney is guilty of NOT picking Earls soon enough; i.e when Munster were in their ascendency and Earls was left unrewarded in the Academy.

Advertisement