Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I'm essentially saying 27 is often around the time when a player is at their peak. Obviously not in every case, James Coughlan being a notable exception. But most players tend to have most of their development done around 27/28 and will generally not get much better

I'm not sure I'd go along with that, but even if that was the case - McLaughlin spent several years out injured so isn't a typical flanker. I would say he's a year or two younger in terms of development than his age suggests. Anyways, its not really important to this tour if he's reached his peak or not so I'll leave it there.

I hope POM doesn't suffer with his versatility, he's payed all over the backrow and while at a young age gametime anywhere on the pitch is good for development, I would hope he starts to focus more on one position.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We could however be completly mad and try a backrow of 6:Lockie 7: Henry 8: POM in one of the tests.
    Maybe even start a game with the 2 best 2nd rowers in the country at the moment ( Touhy & Ryan).
    We could of also brought a smashing young out-half, with a step, pass and eye for a try, and given him some invaluable experience.
    That kinda stuff though would be off the wall thinking and has no place near this Irish set-up!

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd go along with that, but even if that was the case - McLaughlin spent several years out injured so isn't a typical flanker. I would say he's a year or two younger in terms of development than his age suggests. Anyways, its not really important to this tour if he's reached his peak or not so I'll leave it there.

I hope POM doesn't suffer with his versatility, he's payed all over the backrow and while at a young age gametime anywhere on the pitch is good for development, I would hope he starts to focus more on one position.

When would you say most players reach their peak and stop developing

It's not that far fetched to say that most players would be starting to climb down from their peak by 30

Of course there is exceptions though

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

POM isn't ready for the Kiwi back row.

I wouldn't start McLaughlin either though.

I'd have SOB, Henry, Heaslip. Based on form this season and based on based on the styles of the players. I think that would be the best use of our resources.

Of course Kidney will pick POM though, Chris Henrys inability to become a Cork native between now and the first test will certainly count against him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Of course Kidney will pick POM though, Chris Henrys inability to become a Cork native between now and the first test will certainly count against him.

Isn't there some big doubts over Henry's fitness though?

If himself and SOB are ruled out, which is a possibility, there will be two touring spots and one starting spot to be filled.

• Advertisement

Jesus if SOB, Fez and henry are ruled out we'll be in some trouble

6. LOCKY
    7. POM
    8. Heaslip

We'd have little choice but to roll out that back row three games in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Wallace was injured for the 2003 world cup.. I'm not sure what you're implying, are you being sarcastic?

If you look at my post I said there were exceptions but the simple fact is that most players reach their peak around 27/28.

He wasn't injured :confused: his next 8 years were pretty good.

It's a ridiculous argument to leave out a form 27 year old as he's too old! And that he won't get any better and will start to go downhill from here. POM is a great prospect but hugely over rated at this current moment. I have high hopes for him but he's got a lot of work to go. I can see the reason for not bringing Jennings with this argument (putting aside the fact he's probably not up to it) but a 27yr old! Why wouldn't Locky get better playing alongside the likes of SOB, Heaslip and Thorn?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

POM isn't ready for the Kiwi back row.

I wouldn't start McLaughlin either though.

I'd have SOB, Henry, Heaslip. Based on form this season and based on based on the styles of the players. I think that would be the best use of our resources.

To be honest I think all three of them deserve at least one start this tour to reward their form. Sure they mightn't be ready but ya never know.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

CatFromHue wrote: »

Isn't there some big doubts over Henry's fitness though?

If himself and SOB are ruled out, which is a possibility, there will be two touring spots and one starting spot to be filled.
    Yeah its possible both will travel but they said SOBs surgery is similar to BODs so I'd imagibe he'll play?

Henry will hopefully be back to fitness. If not I'd pick POM over KMcL.

With both out... KMcL, POM, Heaslip!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Why oh why in the name of fack is he bringing O Connell, let him have a rest ffs. He has a lions tour to make next summer too. Give someone else a chance.

• Advertisement

clsmooth wrote: »
    He wasn't injured

Wallace was riddled with injury around 2003/04.

It's a ridiculous argument to leave out a form 27 year old as he's too old!

It is, but that's not my argument. i'd be in favor of starting him if he were good enough. I just think POM is playing better rugby and has scope to be a world class player

And that he won't get any better and will start to go downhill from here.

I never said he'll go downhill straight away. I'd imagine he'll continue to play at this standard for another 2 or 3 years. But I'd be very surprised if he added more to his game in that time. POM on the other hand will more than likely be even better in 2 or 3 years
    POM is a great prospect but hugely over rated at this current moment.

If anything POM is being underrated atm

Why wouldn't Locky get better playing alongside the likes of SOB, Heaslip and Thorn?

Because all logic points to the fact that the vast majority of players do most of their developing between 22 and 27

Now obviously there's exceptions to the rule and Locky might be one of them but they're very rare

I'd like to add too that I'd have no problem with Locky playing in NZ. He deserves it after a good year. But if I had to pick between himself and POM there would only be one winner

As my research is showing me, the term "peak" is very complex.

Generally in terms of rugby, especially at upper levels, differing aspects come to play.

Anecdotal evidence suggests the following:

Young men are generally at their natural peak physical around 24. From there, it is additional effort that maintains "peak" fitness. The natural aging process affects both the ability to heal and flexibility.

Rugby players are at their "rugby" (experience and the maturity to effectively use that experience) peak is around 28. This assumes while by the time he is 18 he has the fundamentals of rugby down (school age rugby), he has played competitive club side rugby for about ten years.

From a study on rugby player development

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I've great time for McGlaughlin but people seem to be using his brilliant form as a stick for a bit of POM bashing.

Would you stop. No one is "bashing" POM. A few people have a slightly different opinion than you do about who is better, him or Locky. Saying Locky is better does not say anything negative about POM. I think you're getting a bit precious about it.

Personally, while I'm a huge fan of Locky, I'd have POM just ahead of him. I'd like to see both have a go to see them at that level though. With SOB and Ferris not guaranteed to travel there could well be the scope to test both out.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Would you stop. No one is "bashing" POM. A few people have a slightly different opinion than you do about who is better, him or Locky. Saying Locky is better does not say anything negative about POM. I think you're getting a bit precious about it.

Personally, while I'm a huge fan of Locky, I'd have POM just ahead of him. I'd like to see both have a go to see them at that level though. With SOB and Ferris not guaranteed to travel there could well be the scope to test both out.

I've no problem with anyone saying that, I don't think there's much between them myself

I responding to a poster who said POM was only good in "a couple of magners league games", if someone said the same about Locky Leinster fans would be rightfully peeved too

That's what I think is ridiculous

No problem with anyone thinking Locky is better

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Really don't understand the comments on Ferris "needing a break". He probably plays the least amount of rugby of any of the top names. I don't think we'll ever see him at full fitness again and its only a matter of time before he has to retire unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think Locky is currently a better 6 then POM, though they are fairly different players. That said, I don't really think Locky has the necessary physicality to really bring his best game to the international level. I would be far more comfortable with POM at 6 if he had settled on that position and stayed there for most of the season. He has been moved around a bit much by Munster for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Ferris hasn't been himself since the quarter final, he's better off sitting out the tour and coming back to pre season more fresh.

If McLaughlin can play as well against NZ as he did in the HEC final, Ireland won't miss Ferris that much.

if we play the same ****e we did in the six nations we will..... that being said id much rather have him for the lions that this tour

I think Locky is a better 6 than POM. For sure.

Although if SOB was fit and Henry and Ferris weren't I'd have POM over Locky at 7 with SOB at 6 as I think that's the best combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think Locky is currently a better 6 then POM, though they are fairly different players. That said, I don't really think Locky has the necessary physicality to really bring his best game to the international level. I would be far more comfortable with POM at 6 if he had settled on that position and stayed there for most of the season. He has been moved around a bit much by Munster for my liking.

this season was a joke for our backrow... hopefully next season they will play him in one position and leave him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Just a question, is there anyone who thinks that Kidney won't pick POM if either Ferris or O'Brien are unavailable?

[point of order; David Wallace was fit for the 2003 World Cup, he just wasn't picked]

• Advertisement

Just a question, is there anyone who thinks that Kidney won't pick POM if either Ferris or O'Brien are unavailable?

[point of order; David Wallace was fit for the 2003 World Cup, he just wasn't picked]

Reason he wasn't picked was because of the bad luck he'd had in relation to injuries around that time

Reason he wasn't picked was
    That's speculation but
    because of the bad luck he'd had in relation to injuries around that time
    he did have a lot of injuries that year in fairness.

Then again, the backrows at that RWC were Costello, Miller, Quinlan, Gleeson, Foley and Easterby. I don't think Wallace was that far ahead of any of them that his non-selection was a travesty.

That's speculation but

he did have a lot of injuries that year in fairness.

Then again, the backrows at that RWC were Costello, Miller, Quinlan, Gleeson, Foley and Easterby. I don't think Wallace was that far ahead of any of them that his non-selection was a travesty.

Ya I'd agree! Not even sure how we got talking about 2003 Wallace tbh! :D

Ya I'd agree! Not even sure how we got talking about 2003 Wallace tbh! :D

This is so clearly relevant to the McLaughlin/POM debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

When would you say most players reach their peak and stop developing

It's not that far fetched to say that most players would be starting to climb down from their peak by 30

Of course there is exceptions though

Most players tend to peak from about 26-31 and then start to drop off after that.

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    Most players tend to peak from about 26-31 and then start to drop off after that.

I'd say they'd have most of their progression done by 28/29 but sustain that level for another 2 or 3 years in some cases, longer in others

It's rare that a player gets noticeably better after the 30 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Hey, does anyone know if Sky will be the only one showing the games against New Zealand? highlights on TG4 or RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Irish Times reporting that Ferris is a major doubt for the tour now. He has a calf injury apparently. I know this was discussed yesterday but the Times are saying it now too.

Leaves us in a tough position because without Ferris, SOB becomes our best blindside as well as our best openside. And obviously he can't play both positions.

So that leaves us with a possible backrow of

SOB
    POM/Henry
    Heaslip

POM/Mc Loughlin
    SOB
    Heaslip

Coburger wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know if Sky will be the only one showing the games against New Zealand? highlights on TG4 or RTE?

Sky only afaik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Stephen Ferris is officially out, Kevin McLaughlin is in
    Leinster back rower Kevin McLaughlin has been called into the Ireland squad to tour New Zealand next month. He replaces the injured Stephen Ferris (calf).

Kevin McLaughlin narrowly missed out on selection for the original 29-man squad named earlier this week, but steps up into the touring party in place of Stephen Ferris, who has been ruled out due to a calf injury sustained in the Heineken Cup final.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/26578.php

Advertisement