Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

there could be an argument for having ryan or touhy on the bench (as cover for both 2nd row and backrow) the other starting as they have been used in the backrow when necessary...unlike DOC they can also play a full 80 mins if needs be which would allow the inclusion of another prop on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'd bring Madigan -

2 questions -

Is it too early for Dom Ryan , hasn't played much this year ?

What has happened to Buckley , is he playing dire or not playing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I personally don't think we have a tighthead worth messing up our bench for at the moment. I don't believe any other tighthead in Ireland would bea ny better than Court against the Allblacks (apart from the man himself obviously). If Fitzpatrick was up to it though, an Interesting team might be:

Healy, Best, Ross, Ryan, O'Connell, Ferris, O'Brien, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Earls, Wallace, O'Driscoll, Fitzgerald, Kearney

Cronin, Court, Fitzpatrick, Tuohy, Murray, O'Gara, McFadden. With Tuohy/Ryan coviering 2nd row and back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

jacothelad wrote:
    Loughney gets a lot of support from Connacht guys but notwithstanding there admirably loyalty to him he is no great shakes at t.h. Maybe he will become better 4 /10

it aint blind loyalty though
    if you have been watching him recently you would have him higher than 4/10. He put the munster scrum in its place recently. If he can hold up v ulster this weekend v court he'll have to be first choice for the dual prop role

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

thebaz wrote: »
    Is it too early for Dom Ryan , hasn't played much this year?

I think so. I'm one of his biggest fans, but he's been injured for a lot of the season and isn't back playing his best. He won't get too many more chances going into the business end of the season.

While I think he could be a future international, bringing him on a tour to New Zealand when he's not in form could be detrimental to his development. There are a lot of back row players playing regularly and in form that deserve to go over him imo.

thebaz wrote: »
    What has happened to Buckley , is he playing dire or not playing ?

He's only started 6 games this season and come on as a sub in another five, according to espn. His sale sharks profile makes for a funny read, however :pac:
    Steve Diamond's first signing after making his return to Sale Sharks, Tony arrived with a big reputation - and a stature to match. Weighing in at over 20stone, the man they call 'Mushy' is one of the heaviest players in the professional game and as you would expect of a man of his standing is a destructive scrummager and a real danger when he gets momentum in the loose. Signed on a three-year deal from Munster, who he joined from Connacht in 2005, Tony made his Ireland debut in 2007 and has been in and around the international squad ever since. Speaking as he unveiled his new signing, Diamond said: "This is a statement of intent of what Sale Sharks want to achieve. We want to build a team around a dominant pack of forwards.

http://www.salesharks.com/SharksSquadDetail/article/2408327/name/Tony%20Buckley

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

WeeBushy wrote: »
    He's only started 6 games this season and come on as a sub in another five, according to espn. His sale sharks profile makes for a funny read, however :pac:

I think he's also on 4 + 1 in the Amlin and 1 + 2 in the LV Cup so a total of 11 + 8 in total for them. Considering how often he gets sick/injured that's not a bad appearance rate for him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

England have announced that they'll play two mid week games on their tour to SA today.

Just checking on the Welsh website and they've arranged a game against the Brumbies between the first and second test.

Both England and Wales will also play Saturday, i.e. first team, games against the BaBas before they go on tour.

I think we're missing out by only playing tests in NZ. Coupled with the must win games at home to SA and Arg in November I doubt there will be much development of players. Both the game against the BaBas in England in May and the A game against Fiji in November will be purely A team games and so there will be little mixing between the first and second Ireland team. In my opinion the best way to develop a player is to give him game time with first team guys. This isn't going to happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

CatFromHue wrote: »
    England have announced that they'll play two mid week games on their tour to SA today.

Just checking on the Welsh website and they've arranged a game against the Brumbies between the first and second test.

Both England and Wales will also play Saturday, i.e. first team, games against the BaBas before they go on tour.

I think we're missing out by only playing tests in NZ. Coupled with the must win games at home to SA and Arg in November I doubt there will be much development of players. Both the game against the BaBas in England in May and the A game against Fiji in November will be purely A team games and so there will be little mixing between the first and second Ireland team. In my opinion the best way to develop a player is to give him game time with first team guys. This isn't going to happen anytime soon.

a lot of our front line players will potentially be going to NZ soon after HC and rabo finals, 3 test matches will be tough enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭snow mad

If the only changes we see to the team are enforced who can we expect to see involved.

INJURED

fitz- wasnt there for the six nations
    bowe- earls back to the wing hopefully leaving a space for cave to travel
    o connell- for me it has to be touthy
    ferris- henry to take his place on team with SOB switching sides

could think of a few more players that could do with a break but that wont happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Props - Healy, Wilkinson, Court, Ross & Loughney
    If Wilkinson is injured I'd bring Fitzpatrick. I don't think any other prop deserves to be the plane. Lads who don't feature in their provincal 22, shouldn't feature in the national 22.

Hookers - Best, Cronin & A.N. Other
    (Strauss for the Baa Baa's game, maybe. For all this Sherry love, I'm not convinced.

Locks - Ryan, McCarthy, Tuohy & Toner
    Best 4 available, simple as.

Back Row - Muldoon, O'Mahony, Henry, Heaslip & O'Brien
    Same as above. Ryan doesn't deserve to be on the plane ahead of Muldoon or Henry who were their province's players of the year.

Scrum Half - Reddan, Marshall & Boss
    Murray will travel. I think these 3 have been better than him this season. Although I do reckon he has the potential to be better, so maybe he should be on the plane.

Fly Half - Sexton, Madigan & Keatley
    I can imagine Kidney will pick Sexton & ROG, with Wallace as 3rd Outhalf.

Centre Back - Wallace, Cave, D'Arcy & BOD
    Earls and McFadden also to be considered from the wing.

Wingers - Earls, Trimble, McFadden, AN. Other
    O'Halloran, Kearney, Gilroy or Zebo? Each has their own preference (I'd be O'Halloran or Kearney myself). If Zebo goes, Fionn Carr should be ripping about not touring last year or the year before as they are the exact same player.

Full Back - Kearney & Duffy
    Duffy was arguably one of the best Full backs in Europe this year. But he has never been selected for a competitive match by Kidney. I can't imagine that changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Duffy was selected for the Wolfhounds and was pretty poor, but there are no real alternatives, although he has been playing well for Connacht.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Duffy was selected for the Wolfhounds and was pretty poor, but there are no real alternatives, although he has been playing well for Connacht.

Poor at centre, if I remember correctly. Kidney is forever playing him at centre, where he played a bit at for Harlequins but hasn't really featured for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Poor at centre, if I remember correctly. Kidney is forever playing him at centre, where he played a bit at for Harlequins but hasn't really featured for 5 years.

No he played at full back and was very poor. It was his worst game in what was a very good season. Pity he did it in an Ireland jersey with everyone watching.

Strauss definitely won't be playing against the BaaBaas

its_phil wrote: »
    No he played at full back and was very poor. It was his worst game in what was a very good season. Pity he did it in an Ireland jersey with everyone watching.

Ian Keatley syndrome.

I thought because of the lack of caps involved this may have been a possibility.

Back Row - Muldoon, O'Mahony, Henry, Heaslip & O'Brien
    Same as above. Ryan doesn't deserve to be on the plane ahead of Muldoon or Henry who were their province's players of the year.

Scrum Half - Reddan, Marshall & Boss
    Murray will travel. I think these 3 have been better than him this season. Although I do reckon he has the potential to be better, so maybe he should be on the plane.

Wingers - Earls, Trimble, McFadden, AN. Other
    O'Halloran, Kearney, Gilroy or Zebo? Each has their own preference (I'd be O'Halloran or Kearney myself).

I don't think people are calling for Ryan to go, they are looking for him to play in the Wolfhounds game with the Barbarians which I think is a good idea. It gives us a look at a different type of 7 we currently don't have in this country.

Murray doesn't not deserve to go and I don't think Marshall has done enough to take his place.

I wouldn't take either of O'Halloran or Zebo. I'd have one of them playing against the Barbarians with Gilroy or Kearney going to New Zealand.

I thought because of the lack of caps involved this may have been a possibility.
    Hell be playing in the RDP12 final 2 days before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Lads the BaBaa's game is not a Wolfhounds game just so ye know

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Lads the BaBaa's game is not a Wolfhounds game just so ye know

Sorry thats my fault. Suppose it's the way I'm looking at the match personally. It kind of feels like the build up to the England Saxons game a while ago, so therefore my confusion.

It may as well be, it's not like it's a test match. It won't be a full team out and I'm sure there will be experiments so it could well have been a Wolfhound game if they weren't trying to sell out Kingsholm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

It's technically a possibility (i.e. he doesn't have to Ireland-eligible), but unless Aaron Dundon gets a miracle call-up for the Rabo final, the hookers against the BaaBaas will be Best and Sherry. Or is Varley back in contention after his injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Anyone reckon theres a chance some of the lads playing in England atm might be called over to train with the team with the possibility of making the 22 for the Babas game?

Guys like Roger Wilson, John Andress or Ryan Caldwell.

Given the severe lack of options in the backrow for the babas game given that none of the leinster lads will be available and Ferris almost definitely won't be either, it could be good to bring in Wilson. Who else would be included in the backrow otherwise? It'd probs be Muldoon, O'Mahony and Henry but who'd bench? Faloon? :/

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Given the severe lack of options in the backrow for the babas game given that none of the leinster lads will be available and Ferris almost definitely won't be either, it could be good to bring in Wilson. Who else would be included in the backrow otherwise? It'd probs be Muldoon, O'Mahony and Henry but who'd bench? Faloon? :/

There's plenty of options in the back row for the baabaas game.

Connacht: Muldoon, McCarthy
    Ulster: Henry
    Munster: O'Mahony, Caughlan, Ronan (is he fit? Wouldn't have him myself but Kidney seems to like him).
    Leinster: Dominic Ryan and Ruddock (or whichever two back row players don't get picked for the rabo final)

That's 8 that spring to mind as players that could conceivably be picked based in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Munster: O'Mahony, Caughlan, Ronan (is he fit? Wouldn't have him myself but Kidney seems to like him).
    Leinster: Dominic Ryan and Ruddock (or whichever two back row players don't get picked for the rabo final)

That's 8 that spring to mind as players that could conceivably be picked based in Ireland.

I thought i read that none of the leinster squad players would be picked. Theyd have to be training with Leinster so when would they get to train with the irish lads?

Are Ronan and Caughlan not still injured?

Did McCarthy not get a cited for gouging which would mean he would be unavailable??

RoundBox11 wrote: »

I thought i read that none of the leinster squad players would be picked. Theyd have to be training with Leinster so when would they get to train with the irish lads?

Are Ronan and Caughlan not still injured?

Did McCarthy not get a cited for gouging which would mean he would be unavailable??
    Yes to all of those. Unlikely any of those would be involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Touhy will now more than likely get a start, hopefully he forces Kidneys hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Touhy will now more than likely get a start, hopefully he forces Kidneys hand

How do you figure? DOC and Ryan are both available aren't they?

Has there been an announcement that no Leinster players will be involved?

Because I would imagine they would know early on in the week who is going to play in the rabo final, so those not involved and capable of playing (ie. not BOD etc.) could train with the Irish team?

danthefan wrote: »
    How do you figure? DOC and Ryan are both available aren't they?

Ryan might be needed in the backrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ronan and Coghlan are still inured, I doubt Ruddock and Ryan will be let off to go to Ireland, they will be training with their province. I'd have Muldoon, POM, Henry, and have McCarthy covering the back row from the bench

4 Ryan
    5 Touhy
    6 Muldoon
    7 Henry
    8 POM

18 DOC
    19 McCarthy

Although I wouldn't be against calling up Wilson to wear 19 with McCarthy covering lock

Advertisement