Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

We shouldn't pick POM just because he has potential. The same ****e is spouted about Murray when it's clear as day that Reddan should be number one (POM has far more potential than Murray). It's not like Henry is the same age as David Wallace either. Henry will be around for the next World Cup. We should pick based on form, and that's why Henry should start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

tolosenc wrote: »
    We shouldn't pick POM just because he has potential. The same ****e is spouted about Murray when it's clear as day that Reddan should be number one (POM has far more potential than Murray). It's not like Henry is the same age as David Wallace either. Henry will be around for the next World Cup. We should pick based on form, and that's why Henry should start.

Henry should start if O Brien is being moved to six, no argument there. But POM should get the six shirt if he's staying at 7

He does have bags of potential but he's currently playing at a very high standard too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Read and McCaw are excellent players but Vito and Thompson aren't in the same league from what I've seen of them. Certainly if NZ had the two of them in their back row Heaslip and SOB would be better.

I don'y know much about Cane, Shields, or Whitelock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

double

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Interestingly from the stats there, POM is about the same size as no.7 McCaw and no.8 Read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Henry should start if O Brien is being moved to six, no argument there. But POM should get the six shirt if he's staying at 7

He does have bags of potential but he's currently playing at a very high standard too

Yeah, you're either moving SOB to 6 and starting Henry, or playing SOB at 7 and playing O' Mahony 6.

I think SOB 6, Henry 7 and Heaslip 8 would be more balanced than O' Mahony 6, SOB 7 and Heaslip 8. I'd prefer to be bringing O' Mahony on rather than Henry as I think he'd have more of an impact from the bench and that allows you to move SOB back to 7 where he's been excellent as well as the fact that Henry is more experienced and I'd prefer him starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I think if SOB is being played at 7 it'd make more sense to play McLaughlin at 6.
    Having the Leinster back row would help with the fluidity of the game because these guys are used to working together.

Besides i think McLaughlin has played well enough that there wouldnt be much difference in standard between him and POM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ross off injured for Leinster. This is very bad news for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Can anybody play tighthead?

Apparently there's only one in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If Ross is out then we are in big big trouble. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jamie Hagan hasn't impressed with Leinster this season.

I suppose Fitzpatrick is in with a good chance of starting for Ireland, presuming Ross can't play.

But knowing Deccie he'll try to coax Marcus Horan and John Hayes out of international retirement.

Clegg wrote: »
    Jamie Hagan hasn't impressed with Leinster this season.

I suppose Fitzpatrick is in with a good chance of starting for Ireland, presuming Ross can't play.

But knowing Deccie he'll try to coax Marcus Horan and John Hayes out of international retirement.

Knowing Kidney he could start court at TH!

I do think that if Ross is injured though it will be Fitzpatrick. And if he repeats his semi final performance there'll be no fear of him

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Knowing Kidney he could start court at TH!

I do think that if Ross is injured though it will be Fitzpatrick. And if he repeats his semi final performance there'll be no fear of him

Court is out of the tour no?

Court is out of the tour no?

**** forgot. Jesus we could need Horan after all (Joke!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Thought Toner had a great match today. It's simply a crime that such an out of form and over the hill player as DOC gets picked in front of him.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Thought Toner had a great match today. It's simply a crime that such an out of form and over the hill player as DOC gets picked in front of him.

Don't think it's so much a case of DOC playing badly, he's actually been decent this year. More a case of players offering way more than him

He's now behind POC, Ryan, Toner, Tuohy and Cullen in terms of ability

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Banbridgeman

I had a nightmarish vision of Kidney getting off the phone with Tony Buckley

Don't think it's so much a case of DOC playing badly, he's actually been decent this year. More a case of players offering way more than him

He's now behind POC, Ryan, Toner, Tuohy and Cullen in terms of ability

When was the last time DOC (for club or cuntry)
    1). Disrupted a single opposition lineout?
    2). Carried ball with any effect?
    3). Took an opposition kick off with any degree of skill
    4). Showed good hands while under pressure

Toner did all 4 today. Thought he was immense. DOC just offers nothing.

I had a nightmarish vision of Kidney getting off the phone with Tony Buckley

I am sure he is thumbing his little notebook for John Hayes' number as we speak...

He's done all of those this year tbh accept maybe the hands (but he never had quick hands). I think you're being harsh on DOC. I think he's done internationally but he's still a decent impact player off the bench for Munster. To say he offers nothing isn't fair. It's not his fault Kindey keeps picking him

I agree about Toner, he was immense today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Kidney must be a relieved man after today's result. Suddenly, we see leinster are beatable, munster are in massive decline. The expectations will be way down after this defeat. I'm going for a resounding 3-0 whitewash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

DOC is not the best option and Donnacha Ryan/Toner/Tuohy all should be ahead of him to use in the next few weeks but please stop the completely anti munster posts.
    Watch DOC in games. To say he does nothing is rediculous but he shouldnt be involved internationally anymore.
    His game has never been to carry the ball much, he does carry the ball but that isnt his game and he usually is involved in the rucks and does the dirty work or "unseen work"(admitedily nowhere near the level required recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Hey, I didn't see the first half of the Leinster game and haven't seen anything on here about it in too much detail but what type of injury did Ross get? Could he be a doubt for the tour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Coburger wrote: »
    Hey, I didn't see the first half of the Leinster game and haven't seen anything on here about it in too much detail but what type of injury did Ross get? Could he be a doubt for the tour?

Looked like calf or glute injury, he came off straight away, didn't try to play on with the injury at all. I didn't think that was a great sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭TomLamp

liammur wrote: »
    Kidney must be a relieved man after today's result. Suddenly, we see leinster are beatable, munster are in massive decline. The expectations will be way down after this defeat. I'm going for a resounding 3-0 whitewash.

I doubt it makes any difference. Leinster were always beatable, even moreso after having a tough game a week before and only starting with 10 of their starting 15 against a very good Ospreys side and an inefficient ref. They are still the best team in Europe and make up the bulk of the Irish squad.

One positive however is that the bitterness from losing today might really drive the Leinster players in the Irish squad on to beat the All Blacks. You can be sure BOD and co. will be demented by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Looked like calf or glute injury, he came off straight away, didn't try to play on with the injury at all. I didn't think that was a great sign.
    If it was something minor I think he would tried to come back on for the last 8 minutes when white was in the bin rather than Leinster going to 13 men and uncontested scrums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

TomLamp wrote: »
    I doubt it makes any difference. Leinster were always beatable, even moreso after having a tough game a week before and only starting with 10 of their starting 15 against a very good Ospreys side and an inefficient ref. They are still the best team in Europe and make up the bulk of the Irish squad.

One positive however is that the bitterness from losing today might really drive the Leinster players in the Irish squad on to beat the All Blacks. You can be sure BOD and co. will be demented by that stage.

That's a good point in a few ways, but surely if you can't beat the ospreys, we are not going to beat NZ

liammur wrote: »
    That's a good point in a few ways, but surely if you can't beat the ospreys, we are not going to beat NZ

It's just getting lazy at this stage tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

The Connacht fan's offical player of the year was an Irish tighthead.

I think the emphasis that our only options after Ross are Hagan or Declan 'one game' Fitzpatrick is very disrespectful to Connacht Rugby.

There, I've said it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The Connacht fan's offical player of the year was an Irish tighthead.

I think the emphasis that our only options after Ross are Hagan or Declan 'one game' Fitzpatrick is very disrespectful to Connacht Rugby.

There, I've said it.

You're probably right but you're also probably being a bit precious, Loughney needs to play well against the Baa baa's.

Advertisement