Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    Kidney's selections always seem to lacking in some department, but the injury situation hasn't helped him, so I have sympathy for him.

Overall, I am glad I couldn't go to the first test in Auckland like I planned; it's looking very dodgy right now.
    Yes there have been injuries but the reason they're hitting us so hard is that Kidney has refused to engage in any sort of squad development, so we just don't know if a lot of these guys are up to it.

Are you in NZ? Are people taking Ireland seriously at all?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,595 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    I'd say Kearney is even with Dagg and to be honest if BOD keeps playing the way he did in the HC we will have to upper hand on them at 13.

trouble is.. ABs are NOT going to be launching high balls into kearney... they will play everything through the middle.

And as much as BOD is a rugby genius, i think its a very tough ask for him and darcy to front up against bigger stronger guys, whomever it will be.. .SBW, Smith, Ellison, Nonu.,..

its on the wings though where i fear most damage will be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    Kidney's selections always seem to lacking in some department, but the injury situation hasn't helped him, so I have sympathy for him.

Overall, I am glad I couldn't go to the first test in Auckland like I planned; it's looking very dodgy right now.

I wouldn't have any sympathy for him at all, its his fault that he hasn't made the appropriate steps to have reliable cover for injury's, i mean now with POC out DOC is a certain starter for the "experience" and its a farce that the the two lock behind him who have been playing much better than DOC for the last 2 seasons have only 20 caps between them and only 5 starts. He has no back up at 12 ignored the TH problem when he found Ross and didnt bother his hole to make sure he didnt have another John Hayes situation, was forced to make a 13 out of a winger after BOD was injured

The worst thing about this whole tour is that it would have been about the best time to try push a win against ABs and if we do win a test, then i fear kidney will get another contract extension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sham Courtney

We have got a hope in hell of winning any of the tests, ABs are too strong even with new faces in the their squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

We have got a hope in hell of winning any of the tests, ABs are too strong even with new faces in the their squad!

thank god... I don't think we could stick kidney for another 4 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Kayless wrote: »
    thank god... I don't think we could stick kidney for another 4 years

As much as I don't want Kidney to stay, I'd give my left nut for a win against those cocky kiwi's

The last thing I want to do is become a fan that wants to see his team lose, regardless of the supposed long term benefits I'll be shouting for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Those mythical gods are unstoppable!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    As much as I don't want Kidney to stay, I'd give my left nut for a win against those cocky kiwi's

The last thing I want to do is become a fan that wants to see his team lose, regardless of the supposed long term benefits I'll be shouting for Ireland

That's the bottom line. I'ld give a Kidney to see Ireland beat the ABs. Still it's an ill wind that blows no good so if we do get hockeyed, the IRFU may be forced to make some changes.

maddragon wrote: »
    That's the bottom line. I'd give a Kidney to see Ireland beat the ABs. Still it's an ill wind that blows no good so if we do get hockeyed, the IRFU may be forced to make some changes.

Boom boom. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

maddragon wrote: »
    That's the bottom line. I'ld give a Kidney to see Ireland beat the ABs. Still it's an ill wind that blows no good so if we do get hockeyed, the IRFU may be forced to make some changes.

I think it would take a right pasting though. Three 10-20 point defeats wouldn't force the IRFU's hand, in a couple of 10-20 point defeats and a 40 point defeat probably wouldn't do for Kindey either, I think it would take 3 serious beatings in the 40+ scale for the IRFU to do anything or to even consider it. Personally I don't think Deccie can take us any further and I think a change would do us good but at the same time I don't wish for three heavy beatings either. And in fairness if we do beat NZ then Kidney will deserve a lot of credit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

bilston wrote: »
    And in fairness if we do beat NZ then Kidney will deserve a lot of credit.

I'd still want him gone though.

Considering how little is left of his contract, I can't see them going to the expense of cancelling it early regardless of performance.

bilston wrote: »
    I think it would take a right pasting though. Three 10-20 point defeats wouldn't force the IRFU's hand, in a couple of 10-20 point defeats and a 40 point defeat probably wouldn't do for Kindey either, I think it would take 3 serious beatings in the 40+ scale for the IRFU to do anything or to even consider it. Personally I don't think Deccie can take us any further and I think a change would do us good but at the same time I don't wish for three heavy beatings either. And in fairness if we do beat NZ then Kidney will deserve a lot of credit.

Agree on both.

Kidney's first games in charge were Autumn 2008 when we were struggling to hold on to eighth place in the rankings to get second seeding for the RWC. Now here we are, four years later and where are we? The Grand Slam was great but in the overall scheme of things, how have we progressed?

That said, a win against NZ would take all the pressure off in terms of rankings and would be a massive credit in Kidney's account.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd still want him gone though.

Considering how little is left of his contract, I can't see them going to the expense of cancelling it early regardless of performance.

not little enough imo

http://www.kidneyclock.net/

Agree on both.

Kidney's first games in charge were Autumn 2008 when we were struggling to hold on to eighth place in the rankings to get second seeding for the RWC. Now here we are, four years later and where are we? The Grand Slam was great but in the overall scheme of things, how have we progressed?

That said, a win against NZ would take all the pressure off in terms of rankings and would be a massive credit in Kidney's account.

He does on rare occasion (Australia and Italy in the WC) execute a gameplan to perfection

He does on rare occasion (Australia and Italy in the WC) execute a gameplan to perfection

they're unfortunately the exceptions that hammer home the rule.

wrt the Italy gameplan, it's the same one we've used for 12+ years against them.

Battle for 60, run for 20.

I would rather walk into the next world cup with: THE form players, playing each position, strength in depth (prop,centre) a smart coach such as Gatland or Schmitt and most of all no provisional basis

If Kidney wins even one of those match's the IRFU will extend his contract, guess who'll then be leading us to the next RWC to get hammered again by Wales. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭twinytwo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    trouble is.. ABs are NOT going to be launching high balls into kearney... they will play everything through the middle.

And as much as BOD is a rugby genius, i think its a very tough ask for him and darcy to front up against bigger stronger guys, whomever it will be.. .SBW, Smith, Ellison, Nonu.,..

its on the wings though where i fear most damage will be done.

what ever about darcy, drico has been stopping bigger, faster guys in their tracks for years, sure he misses a tackle every now and again. I promise they fear him more that he does them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

they're unfortunately the exceptions that hammer home the rule.

wrt the Italy gameplan, it's the same one we've used for 12+ years against them.

Battle for 60, run for 20.

Completely, and ignores our better players to play it safe. Yawn.

BOD is still the best defensive 13 in the world for me

His opposite number in NZ is probably the second best

Both of them under 6ft and pretty light

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭JRant

BOD is still the best defensive 13 in the world for me

His opposite number in NZ is probably the second best

Both of them under 6ft and pretty light

I'd have them the other way round myself. Smith is the best 13 in the business and injuries have held Drico back the past 12/18 months.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

JRant wrote: »
    I'd have them the other way round myself. Smith is the best 13 in the business and injuries have held Drico back the past 12/18 months.

Fishooks said BOD is the best defensive 13. Do you think Conrad is better in that field?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

If Kidney wins even one of those match's the IRFU will extend his contract, guess who'll then be leading us to the next RWC to get hammered again by Wales. :eek:
    Not if we have another mediocre 6 Nations. Not that many people are going to be watching the tests against the All Blacks compared to the number who tune in for the 6 Nations. Finally getting a win against NZ would be great, but finishing 3rd or worse in March will have far more bearing on Kidney's future.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I agree if we win a single one of these tests Kidney will have Thornley and Co. in his back pocket for at least and 12 months no matter what happens in the 6 nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Searched the last few pages but couldn't find anything.

What channel(s) is the match tomorrow shown on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Searched the last few pages but couldn't find anything.

What channel(s) is the match tomorrow shown on?
    Irelands first game is not until tomorrow week

Yeah I would love to see us beat the All blacks (for the love of god, who wouldn't?) but I fear if we get lucky and do beat them, we'll end up stuck with kidney for another 4 years or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 monkey90

Where on earth is the sudden optimism coming from? There's absolutely no hope of us winning any of the three tests! We'll be slaughtered in tests 2 + 3 and probably lose by about 10-15 points in the 1st test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I think we will be well beaten in all three tests. Just hope a few of the players can stay on the pitch this time to avoid a complete embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

twinytwo wrote: »
    what ever about darcy, drico has been stopping bigger, faster guys in their tracks for years, sure he misses a tackle every now and again. I promise they fear him more that he does them.

Simply not true.

Not 1 NZ player fears BOD.

Why would they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

lynchy101 wrote: »
    Simply not true.

Not 1 NZ player fears BOD.

Why would they?

Can you quote that from Nonu, Smith and SBW?

Advertisement