Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Both suggested teams look to have SOB at 6 and POM at 7
    On this, neither of them play the fetcher role so its more like a selection of O'Brien would be as carrier and O'Malley as the in-yer-face hassler. Heaslip is the most prolific fetcher on the side over the past couple of seasons and he has been exemplary in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I was actually going to suggest that team yesterday. It makes some sense as Trimble and D'Arcy don't deserve the start, and there were mentions at the end of the 6N that BOD would have to earn back his 13 jersey. Zebo would be a huge worry, but he is in better form than Trimble.

Reddan is in better form than Murray, but I feel that Murray will be better suited as our pack will likely be on the back-foot from the outset. Reddan behind a beaten pack is a disaster waiting to happen.

Both suggested teams look to have SOB at 6 and POM at 7. Of all the poor selection calls that Kidney is liable to make, this is the oddest imo.

So, Reddan is in better form than Murray but would admittedly be a worry on the back foot, so Murray should start.

And Zebo is in better form than Trimble, but would admittedly be a worry on the back foot/defending, so Zebo should start??

I understand your point and that a scrum-half is under more pressure, but if we are on the back foot in the pack (which I don't think is a certainty), the whole team will be and Zebo/Reddan could potentially be exposed in defence.

It's obviously more complex than that, you could argue for example that Murray would be slower at the breakdown and be under pressure there, but selecting Zebo and not selecting Reddan would be a contradiction in my opinion.

Having said all that, Murray gets some unfair criticism, and if used correctly (big if), Reddan could be effective off the bench. However, if this was hypothetically to be the team, I don't get the logic in selecting Zebo but not selecting Reddan.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Incidentally was BOD confirmed as team captain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

This is a squad whose fringe selections are open to accusations of whimsy and bias. Kidney has included two uncapped players in Mike Sherry and Simon Zebo, both of them from Munster. He included one uncapped player in the 2012 Six Nations squad: Peter O’Mahony of Munster. He included one uncapped player in the RWC11 squad: Conor Murray. Guess who he plays for? Are Munster the only team producing good young players or giving them a run?

From the Demented Mole piece; aren't there other uncapped players in this squad like Fitzpartrick, Marshall, Locky and Wilkinson?

ed7890 wrote: »
    From the Demented Mole piece; aren't there other uncapped players in this squad like Fitzpartrick, Marshall, Locky and Wilkinson?

Locky is capped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

JustinDee wrote: »
    Both suggested teams look to have SOB at 6 and POM at 7
    On this, neither of them play the fetcher role so its more like a selection of O'Brien would be as carrier and O'Malley as the in-yer-face hassler. Heaslip is the most prolific fetcher on the side over the past couple of seasons and he has been exemplary in this area.
    +1

It makes very little difference who is where in this situation. It's not like either of them are going to pose a breakdown threat off defensive set pieces. I'd imagine O'Mahoney covers more ground as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Presume so. Was he ever un-confirmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Locky is capped.

Fair enough, I was just going by the IRFU site, which has him at 0 caps.

Even so, isn't it a bit misleading by the piece if there's 3 other lads who are uncapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Was POC not just named the temporary captain for the 6N in O'Driscoll's absence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I was actually going to suggest that team yesterday :o . It makes some sense as Trimble and D'Arcy don't deserve the start, and there were mentions at the end of the 6N that BOD would have to earn back his 13 jersey. Zebo would be a huge worry, but he is in better form than Trimble.

Zebo on form though doesnt put him ahead of Trimble. He's hugely lacking in defence, I dont begrudge him travelling but he's nowhere near what he should be to be starting against NZ ahead of Trimble or Ferg.

Trimble hasnt been poor anyway nor has Darcy so I dont understand why neither deserves the start, Trimble has had a relatively good season playing at the highest level of club rugby. Same as a lot of other Ulster players but dont get the recognition for it. I wouldnt start anyone other than a fit Bowe ahead of Trimble to be honest.

Dont see any sense in starting Zebo in the first game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Fair enough, I was just going by the IRFU site, which has him at 0 caps

Nope. He's in with the correct number of intl caps: 2.
    You might have been looking at the points scored figure, which is 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

If one of Zebo our Gilroy had even slightly better defense I think a more expansive coach would be questioning Trimble's position in the starting 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

and there were mentions at the end of the 6N that BOD would have to earn back his 13 jersey.

BOD-offload-OBrien-12.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I think there would have been some question marks about BOD getting the jersey straight away but considering how awesome he's been since he came back it's a non issue now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Fitzpatrick isn't capped so yeah The Mole has made a mistake here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

How he left Madigan at home is beyond me. There's genuinely no valid reason for it. And to only take 29 players, with one full-back is insane. How are the media not jumping all over him??!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

? wrote:
    Kearney, Ferg, Earls, BOD, Zebo, Sexton, Murray
    Healy, Best, Fitzpatrick (tbc), Ryan, Tuohy, SOB, POM, Heaslip

you can tell that team is bollocks cause no DOC in Starting XV

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I think there would have been some question marks about BOD getting the jersey straight away but considering how awesome he's been since he came back it's a non issue now

Question marks, really? Kidney can't bring himself to drop DOC so do you honestly think he would have dropped BOD in a billion years? BOD was always going to walk back into the team on his return from injury no matter how Earls played in the 6Ns (and he played well).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Saw this on Planet Rugby.

All Black XV v Ireland: Dagg Guildford CSmith SBWilliams Savea Carter ASmith Woodcock Hore OFranks Retallick SWhitelock Vito McCaw Read

All Blacks bench: Elliot, BFranks, AWilliams, Thomson, Weepu, Cruden, BSmith

Source Rugby World Twitter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Clegg wrote: »

All Black XV v Ireland: Dagg Guildford CSmith SBWilliams Savea Carter ASmith Woodcock Hore OFranks Retallick SWhitelock Vito McCaw Read

is Ma'a Nonu injured ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Woodcock is having a poor season IMO. Im not worried about Fitz coming up against him if Ross doesn't make it, especially with that row behind him.

Paddy Power have it NZ -17. Generous perhaps given the team we are likely to field ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I forgot to mention that this isn't the confirmed team.

It could just be this guys guess as to how New Zealand will line out.

Although I've just seen this exact same team named on another blog.

It could be legit.

I forgot to mention that this isn't the confirmed team.

It could just be this guys guess as to how New Zealand will line out.

Although I've just seen this exact same team named on another blog.

It could be legit.

Yeah team has been announced.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Paddy Power have it NZ -17. Generous perhaps given the team we are likely to field ?

I'd be pretty bloody disappointed if any team we fielded failed to beat that handicap first game up. Its the second and third tests I'd worry about getting messy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

duckysauce wrote: »
    is Ma'a Nonu injured ?

I don't think Nonu is playing very well. Also I think I read somewhere that he may also be rested a bit as he went to Japan after the RWC to play for a few months and then started the Super 15 with the Blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't think Nonu is playing very well. Also I think I read somewhere that he may also be rested a bit as he went to Japan after the RWC to play for a few months and then started the Super 15 with the Blues.

He has been very average whenever I've seen him. SBW's form has been blown out of proportion I think but he's certainly playing well and better than Nonu. That backline is superb. If Guildford can get his head right and deliver on his promise (and his recent form) it's absolute quality and in form from 10-15. Our backs will have to be on serious form to deal with them.

I can see NZ winning by 15-20. Might keep close in the first half but we'll tire and our bench will not be strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Going by that team, you'd hope Ireland could target scrum and lineout. It's the only hope really. Without Ross(?) and given the fact that we don't have a very good defensive lineout anymore, maybe it's just too slim a hope though.

What's the story with Ross? Is he still 'doubtful' or is he out altogether?

• Advertisement

Sonny Bill has been playing very well this season apparently. However from the games I've seen, his insane offloading ability is as much a liability as an asset because he always look to offload and often offloads when he shouldn't, there's always a chance of an intercept or forcing a knock on when SBW is tackled.

Mealamu's absence is a big loss, never thought Hore was near his quality, although he's still a good hooker.

Advertisement