Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Id pick..

Court, Best, Fitzpatrick, Tuohy, Ryan, Ferris, Henry, O'Mahoney,
    Murray, Keatley, Earls, Wallace, Cave, Trimble, Jones

Sherry, Loughney, McCarthy, Muldoon, Marshall, Keatley, Gilroy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Id pick..

Keatley isn't in the squad once, let alone twice :p I'd also rest Ferris. No point playing him in a nothing match imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Id pick..

How can you play Ferris?? It's impossible to know what will happen in the final, but even if he escapes without further injury, he was barely able to walk after the Semi-Final. He should be given the summer off imo, and even if he isn't, really is no point playing him in this type of game.

Ferris isn't going to be given the summer off. He's going to play. He's going to drive himself into the ground.

This ROG selection really is a disgrace

Ferris isn't going to be given the summer off. He's going to play. He's going to drive himself into the ground.

It's not really. NOC and Keatley are the only other options that are really available.

Madigan will be with Leinster until 3 days before, as will Sexton, and neither will be playing two games that close together.
    Jackson has a World Cup to play.
    Niall O'Connor is a spoon.

• Advertisement

It's not really. NOC and Keatley are the only other options that are really available.

Madigan will be with Leinster until 3 days before, as will Sexton, and neither will be playing two games that close together.
    And Keatley?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Maybe Keatley is injured.

Course I'm pretty sure ROG will start as captain with Wallace as outhalf cover regardless.

And Keatley?

No idea. But it's not a disgrace that he's not picked ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Not sure about the massive clamour to see Ferris stay at home for the summer. If he's fit he should go IMO. Other than the HEC and Irish games he hasnt played a huge amount of rugby in the past year.

It's not a disgrace but it's pretty stupid. This game is the perfect time to try out players, it's not as if Mads or Keatley will get any time in NZ even if they're brought (which judging by this I don't think they will be as I think Kidney still thinks Wallace is outhalf cover).

I think Ferris should tour I'd fit. He's never gonna be 100% so no point waiting for it. He's vital if Ireland have any hope of beating NZ. Pointless to play him against the Baabaas mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

And Keatley?

For it to be a commercial success you need a few 'names'. Irish fans won't hand out hard cash watch some development side play Ireland.

jm08 wrote: »
    For it to be a commercial success you need a few 'names'. Irish fans won't hand out hard cash watch some development side play Ireland.

I'd like to think that the type of Iriish fans willing to hand out hard cash to watch them play the barbarians know a few more names than the likes of O'Driscoll, O'Connell and O'Gara. In fact if they know anything about Irish rugby they'll realise that for the sake of the spectacle we'd be better off selecting a 10 more suited to an expansive game.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    What on earth is the point of having ROG in that squad!? Notonly in the squad but the only fly half. Absolute pointless.

Because he won't have played for about a month and he could be needed to do so? Its meant to be a practice game for those who will be short of gametime by then.

When Ireland played the ba-bas on the way to NZ in '08, Brian O'Driscoll was in the starting line up (but was withdrawn when his friend died suddenly).

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Just because Ferris is in the training squad doesn't mean he's going to be touring.

Theres what, 24 players named? Of course they needed him for the training. You have to have those numbers to prepare for a game and he is useful to have around.

I wouldnt be surprised to seem him bench against the babas but thats only because the only other options are to bring over Roger Wilson or else call up Falloon/Diack/Au'va.... none of which are up to it.

After the Rabo final is over there'll be another 5 or 6 backrows available.

On saying that tho, players like Ferris play for big games and i'm sure he would love to get a chance to beat NZ this summer so maybe he'll be selected to play in the first game against NZ and be rested for the other 2?

That's a reasonable point I guess. Kind of clarifies that ROG will definitely be second choice in NZ though :(

And Keatley?

Of course it is.

What were looking at here is a squad which shows us Ronan O'Gara is the 2nd out half in Ireland and Paddy Wallace is the third. It's ridiculous.

This could well mean Ian Keatley won't be going on tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

There was no way in hell that O'Gara wouldn't be picked, it's the Wallace as cover selection I find objectionable.

As well as Keatley, Miah Nikora will shortly be Ireland-eligible, he could play in this game, as could that Jarvis guy.
    Neither are the future of Ireland but I'd pick either ahead of Paddy Wallace who has been the most consistent 12 in the country this season but will be not be selected there as he'll be needed on the bench. It's not fair on him and it does diddly squat for squad development.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

And Keatley?

Of course it is.

What were looking at here is a squad which shows us Ronan O'Gara is the 2nd out half in Ireland and Paddy Wallace is the third. It's ridiculous.

Considering both Madigan and Jackson are unavailble we can't base that conclusion on this game.

shuffol wrote: »
    I'd like to think that the type of Iriish fans willing to hand out hard cash to watch them play the barbarians know a few more names than the likes of O'Driscoll, O'Connell and O'Gara. In fact if they know anything about Irish rugby they'll realise that for the sake of the spectacle we'd be better off selecting a 10 more suited to an expansive game.

Unfortunately, thats not the case tho. I guarantee you that at least 20% of the Irish spectators at these matches havent a clue whats going on, not least of all about whats happening at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Not sure about the massive clamour to see Ferris stay at home for the summer. If he's fit he should go IMO. Other than the HEC and Irish games he hasnt played a huge amount of rugby in the past year.

If he's fit I'd definitely bring him. But I wouldn't play him in a what isn't a particularly important game against the baabaas when we have a three test series against the ABs after.

• Advertisement

I phrased that badly. What I meant that neutral fans (the game is in England) will want to see some well known names like O'Gara. Just like when SH teams come touring in the NH we won't pay to see a development side. We want to see the Richie mcCaws, Carters, Smiths etc.

That Ba-Bas Ireland side is very light on well known names.

Tox56 wrote: »
    And Keatley?

Of course it is.

Considering both Madigan and Jackson are unavailble we can't base that conclusion on this game.
    I don't personally believe Kidney would have Paddy Jackson or Ian Madigan ahead of Keatley. Keatley was ahead of Madigan last time they were involved

I don't personally believe Kidney would have Paddy Jackson or Ian Madigan ahead of Keatley. Keatley was ahead of Madigan last time they were involved

Archer was ahead of Fitzpatrick and Loughney too tho.

At lot has happened since then

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, thats not the case tho. I guarantee you that at least 20% of the Irish spectators at these matches havent a clue whats going on, not least of all about whats happening at 10

Think your being a little bit disingenuous but I'd wager that the amount of extra fans likely to turn up for the game because they recognise O'Garas name on the teamsheet will be outnumbered by fans who wont bothar turning up because of his presence. Speaking personally my interest in watching the game will be severely diminished if he lines out at 10.

Is this on TV btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I don't see how any rational person could be too upset/enraged with that squad. Kidney clearly isn't the incompetent fool that a majority of posters here believe him to be. As already pointed out, the AN.Others in the forwards are probably dependant on Jones' injury and McCarthy's gouging.

I'm disappointed that Keatley isn't involved, but otherwise I'm happy with the announcement. ROG will be traveling to NZ and needs match fitness and gametime.

That's true.

Paddy Wallace is still bring selected as outhalf cover though.

Keatley is left out. I can't understand how anyone can defend that selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Kidney is not the quickest when it comes to reacting to changes in the playing landscape though.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    That's a reasonable point I guess. Kind of clarifies that ROG will definitely be second choice in NZ though :(

No it doesn't. It means keeping your options open. What happens if Sexton picks up an injury in the next 2 matches?

Madigan will be getting gametime (or at least is still in training with his club) so should be match fit. O'Gara doesn't have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I don't see how any rational person could be too upset/enraged with that squad. Kidney clearly isn't the incompetent fool that a majority of posters here believe him to be. As already pointed out, the AN.Others in the forwards are probably dependant on Jones' injury and McCarthy's gouging.

I'm disappointed that Keatley isn't involved, but otherwise I'm happy with the announcement. ROG will be traveling to NZ and needs match fitness and gametime.

Well seeing as McCarthy was cleared yesterday he would come across as being very foolish waiting on a result thats already in the public domain

• Advertisement

Think your being a little bit disingenuous but I'd wager that the amount of extra fans likely to turn up for the game because they recognise O'Garas name on the teamsheet will be outnumbered by fans who wont bothar turning up because of his presence. Speaking personally my interest in watching the game will be severely diminished if he lines out at 10.

Is this on TV btw?

Think of all the enjoyment you'll get though moaning about him afterwards. :D Bet you won't miss the match with O'gara at 10 ;)

Advertisement