Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't think Nonu is playing very well. Also I think I read somewhere that he may also be rested a bit as he went to Japan after the RWC to play for a few months and then started the Super 15 with the Blues.

Nonu has only scored one try in the Super 15 this season and that was back in March. Whether his poor form is as a result of the dismal state of the Blues (Played 14 Won 2) or the other way round I don't know - pity as he used to be such a great player. Still can't see what Weepu has done to deserve a place on the bench for this game though. SBW is going well and scored a try for the Chiefs in their win over the Blues last weekend.

C'MON YOU BOYS IN GREEN/BLACK WHATEVER!

Hell, I can't win or lose on Saturday. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

SBW looks to be outplaying Nonu if the weekends game is anything to go by. Funny that the match was seen as a cracker considering some of the pitiful defense on show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

If SBW is going to throw the ball around like he did at the weekend again he might be left red faced considering how well BOD reads the game

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The thing is can anyone think of anytime Sonny Bill has had an intercept from one of his offloads?
    I'd imagine there has been but not many!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The thing is can anyone think of anytime Sonny Bill has had an intercept from one of his offloads?
    I'd imagine there has been but not many!

How many times has SBW faced the BODster? ;)

ClutchingStraws.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Is there no RTE coverage/highlights? I know the Euros are their main focus but that's a bit of a joke??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 daithiblue

Heard this is the team too from another source.

Kearney, Ferg, Earls, BOD, Zebo, Sexton, Murray
    Healy, Best, Ross Ryan, Tuohy, SOB (7), POM, Heaslip

Could get seriously damaged up front, but will hold own in the backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Some Yoke wrote: »
    Is there no RTE coverage/highlights? I know the Euros are their main focus but that's a bit of a joke??
    Sky own SOLE broadcasting rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

How many times has SBW faced the BODster? ;)

ClutchingStraws.jpg

I don't know what all the thanks for this are about.... I fear BOD and his center partner will be the ones clutching at straws after the 3 game series

I don't know what all the thanks for this are about.... I fear BOD and his center partner will be the ones clutching at straws after the 3 game series

I am clutching at straws to find positives re nullifying SBW, that was what I was trying to imply!

• Advertisement

daithiblue wrote: »

would be stunned if this was the team

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

The team hasn't been announced yet. Nobody knows who will be picked. Anyone who says they know is lying to try to gain attention.

There would be no point going to the effort of having a formal announcement if they were going to be whispering it in people's ears beforehand.

Besides, theres no way on earth that team will be picked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

On the contrary, the AB's could run riot in that backline. Ferg's a good player but not a top international, similar could be said of Earls at 13 (although that's a bit harsh, he's not really in Smith's league), Zebo is inexperienced and defensively weak, and Murray can blow hot and cold.

I think (if that were the team, and Im not convinced it will be) the forwards would be stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Three Munster backs in the team! Who'd have thought...

Anyway I'll believe it when I see it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

When is the actual team announcement? Tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

DylanJM wrote: »

Yup! supposedly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Much as I like Murray, I think it would be madness to pick him over Reddan as his performance behind a scrum (which will be) going backwards is poor. Reddan is a good bit quicker at getting the ball away and I reckon that will be critical. No chance that Strings could be sent out I suppose? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

you miss Handsomecake at these times ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I am clutching at straws to find positives re nullifying SBW, that was what I was trying to imply!

oh, sorry, my bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

DylanJM wrote: »
    Around 2am tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Would think the opposite. If that was our side, we'd hold our own in the set pieces but lose out slightly at the breakdown. However, 10-15 would cut us apart. Our wings would be sliced and diced. Neither are good defenders when pulled around or forced into making decisions. Savea and Guildford are class when on form and Dagg is frightening when on song. Move our best defender to a position he has never really played much and put a decent but not great outside centre up against Smith. They'd have us in every position. Kearney is in great form but he'd have serious problems dealing with so much coming at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Much as I like Murray, I think it would be madness to pick him over Reddan as his performance behind a scrum which will be) going backwards is poor.

I honestly don't think our scrum is going to suffer too badly. They've a decent scrum but Woodcock seems well off the boil since the WC and is having a poor S15 season. I don't think the NZ scrum is particularly destructive. My overriding memory of it in the WC was when it was destroyed against Tonga. Fitzpatrick should be able to hold up under the pressure just about. Retallick is still learning although he is a monster. They'll miss Thorn's shove from the row.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

JustinDee wrote: »
    Sky own SOLE broadcasting rights

Does anyone know what pubs will be showing the game in town, Donny and Nesbitts? Went there a few years ago to watch a New Zealand game and was just myself and some chap in a corner and the cleaning lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Good god I hope that's not the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hagz wrote: »
    Good god I hope that's not the team.

It's not. Not a hope. Kidney wouldn't bring 29 players and make a bunch of changes. The team is likely very close to what Thornley has, as usual. I'd guess he's down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I don't think it is but tbh I'd actually be delighted if that was the team. We would almost certainly get hosed, but how long has it been since we had a curveball of a selection in the Irish team? I'd be far more excited to see that team play than the one we've come to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

The team is likely very close to what Thornley has, as usual. I'd guess he's down there.

he must be he was not on off the ball tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Would Afoa have destroyed the Edinburgh scrum like Fitzpatrick did?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭twinytwo

assuming ross is fit im going for

Healy
    best
    ross
    doc
    ryan
    pom*
    sob
    heaslip
    reddan**
    sexton
    earls
    darcy
    drico
    trimble
    kearney

* im assuming that kidney is keeping sob at 7 for the forseeable future.

** please please please for the love of god kidney the country has been shafted enough recently without you starting murray. for once just once play reddan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm gonna be more depressed if he chooses DOC over Tuohy than I will be if he chooses Murray over Reddan.

Advertisement