Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

So far we have 22 names.
    Only 8 from Munster even with Leinster players excluded.
    Sure is a sign of the times

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well personally I think O'Gara will be second choice 10 in New Zealand. He's the most in-Cork of all our out halves.

So the question is whether or not they take another 10 or whether Madigan is ahead of Paddy Wallace as that 3rd 10. Id be pleasantly surprised if Madigan has leapfrogged Keatley since January.

It's all very unfair on Keatley though, he should be starting at 10. Ronan O'Gara is an extremely lucky man, his performances in during and after the 6 Nations have been nowhere near international standard.

I don't see how any rational person could be too upset/enraged with that squad. Kidney clearly isn't the incompetent fool that a majority of posters here believe him to be. As already pointed out, the AN.Others in the forwards are probably dependant on Jones' injury and McCarthy's gouging.

I'm disappointed that Keatley isn't involved, but otherwise I'm happy with the announcement. ROG will be traveling to NZ and needs match fitness and gametime.

there are no other players left to pick. He made all of 3 decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

there are no other players left to pick. He made all of 3 decisions.

What about Stringer & Tomas O'Leary. They are not injured :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

its_phil wrote: »
    McCarthy was playing at 2 against Glasgow. Himself and Swifty are constantly changing.

Fair enough. That being the case, I'd definitely pick him ahead of O'Callaghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Did anyone actually think Keatley was going to tour?? I'm disappointed he wasn't picked for this game but there's no way he was going to go to NZ. Sexton, ROG and Madigan are all firmly ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Lads we all know DOC is going to be starting against the Baba's so no point getting our hopes about Kidney actually picking players on their form basis

I'm sure we will be told that DOC will have "a point to prove" or something:rolleyes:

Agree that it has to be McCarthy and Jones/Duffy who will come in as the AN Others. Ferris shouldn't have to go and train with the squad either imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

jm08 wrote: »
    Because he won't have played for about a month and he could be needed to do so? Its meant to be a practice game for those who will be short of gametime by then.

When Ireland played the ba-bas on the way to NZ in '08, Brian O'Driscoll was in the starting line up (but was withdrawn when his friend died suddenly).

Why on earth would he be needed incase of an injury to Sexton when Jackson, Madigan and even Keatley are playing better rugby than him atm?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Jackson will be off with the U20s.

And I suppose we should stop kidding ourselves, any injury to Sexton and ROG is straight. He's quite likely to start one of the tests I think :(

Not even having Keatley in the squad is very odd - more or less guarantees that either Madigan or Wallace will be third 10 and I'm worried it'll be the latter.

1 Court
    2 Best
    3 Fitzpatrick
    4 Touhy
    5 D Ryan
    6 Muldoon
    7 Henry
    8 POM
    9 Murray
    10 ROG (wish had the option of picking someone else)
    11 Zebo
    12 Paddy Wallace
    13 D Cave
    14 C Gilroy
    15 Jones

Would like to see this starting 15, Trimble and Ferris rested btw, don't see what good starting them would do

• Advertisement

Wasn't Rhys Ruddock pulled from the Irish 20s squad in 2010?

He was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

jm08 wrote: »
    Think of all the enjoyment you'll get though moaning about him afterwards. :D Bet you won't miss the match with O'gara at 10 ;)

Ah its only fun when the Munster contingent try to defend him, even most of them have turned against him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Ah yeah but sure Jackson is the captain:rolleyes:

shuffol wrote: »
    Ah its only fun when the Munster contingent try to defend him, even most of them have turned against him now.

Most of the Munster "contingent" with any knowledge of the game are well aware of just how poor ROG has been this season

bit different, capped game vs an exhibition game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think it's better for Jackson to go with the U-20s tbh. Probably get more benefit from playing competitive matches there than against the BaaBaas as part of a makeshift team. He's got the rest of his career to play for Ireland if he's good enough, he's only going to get one chance at winning the U-20 World Cup (even if it is a long shot).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Do the U20 world cup and the Baabaas game actually overlap or is he just not being considered cause he won't be available for the tour?

He's better off going to the U20s methinks as well.

bit different, capped game vs an exhibition game
    Don't think its massively different. I personally don't think he's ahead of Keatley in Kidneys eyes anyway.

This squad is just a portent of things to come. DOC and ROG in match day squads in New Zealand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Do the U20 world cup and the Baabaas game actually overlap or is he just not being considered cause he won't be available for the tour?

He's better off going to the U20s methinks as well.
    The baabaas game is on a tuesday, the first 20s game is the following monday.
    IMO he's better off only playing the 20s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Let Jackson prove himself with Ulster first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

profitius wrote: »

+1 on that; Jackson has EIGHT senior starts for Ulster. He is one for the future, definitely, but not right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Jones out, so who's next in line at fullback?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0516/1224316192708.html

Also according to Cumiskey
    with two “AN Other” slots to be filled by Leinster players, depending on their availability.

Which I kinda guessed earlier. Does that mean Madigan will be OH cover against BaaBaas.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Banbridgeman

profitius wrote: »

+1 on that; Jackson has EIGHT senior starts for Ulster. He is one for the future, definitely, but not right now.
    One rule for Connor Murray and a different one for Jackson

Surely the AN Other in the backs will be a full back?

Gavin Duffy I'd imagine. Cummiskey says it will be a Leinster player, but if The Kearneys are involved for Leinster then who plays full back? It has to be Duffy surely, or even Adam D'Arcy.

I think Cummiskeys just making an assumption there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I think Murray's stellar performances have shown that to have been the correct call.

Noone is really calling for Jackson to start anyway. I'm just saying if Ruddock can be pulled from the 20s mid tournament then Jackson could miss a couple of days of training well before the tournament. It's not like he would miss any games or even a captains run, he'd be there 4 days before their first game!

Even if Jackson isn't the right call, which there is at least a good argument against, then Keatley should be there. ROG shouldn't be touring with us after the crap he's been turning out this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Noone is really calling for Jackson to start anyway. I'm just saying if Ruddock can be pulled from the 20s mid tournament then Jackson could miss a couple of days of training well before the tournament. It's not like he would miss any games or even a captains run, he'd be there 4 days before their first game!

Even if Jackson isn't the right call, which there is at least a good argument against, then Keatley should be there. ROG shouldn't be touring with us after the crap he's been turning out this season.

Ruddock was pulled for the U20s because there was no one left standing. Muldoon broke his arm against NZ, Heaslip was suspended and we picked up a few other BR injuries on tour. I think the starting BR v Oz was Jennings, Henry and someone else. Ruddock benched. Completely different scenarios.

If Sexton is sent off for decking Richie McCaw, ROG breaks a leg and Madigan has to start then Jackson will get a call (or Paddy Wallace would bench like its 2005 all over again).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Come on man, Jackson looks o.k. so far but even as an Ulster fan I've seen nothing yet to say he should be included in an Irish senior squad. I also have seen enough to think that Murray shouldn't either.

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    Come on man, Jackson looks o.k. so far but even as an Ulster fan I've seen nothing yet to say he should be included in an Irish senior squad. I also have seen enough to think that Murray shouldn't either.

Murrays inclusion probably stems from out lack of quality at nine but presuming Marshall is the only one that could keep him out of the squad it's hard to argue that he's done enough either

And plus I wouldn't have a 32 year old Boss in the squad either

Advertisement