Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

TonyTonga wrote: »
    POM was anonymous and Murray was so bad.

Whats your source or is it another secret that only you can know !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

profitius wrote: »
    He wasn't anonymous. He won a turn over, rucked well, carried well and set up the try with a flick pass. He also made no mistakes. BTW, I thought it was SOB's worse game in a long while and I'm a SOB fan.
    did you happen to miss his work at the breakdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Earls was better today at 12 than Darcy was in any of the 6 nations games

Jeasus you really can't see past a red jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Surley wrote: »
    did you happen to miss his work at the breakdown?

Ya SOB and Best were our best players

maddness wrote: »
    Jeasus you really can't see past a red jersey.

Nope, I actually want ROG starting at 10 and Marcus Horan recalled too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TonyTonga

Nope, I actually want ROG starting at 10 and Marcus Horan recalled too

Wouldn't suprise me after your odd comments about Earls being the most versatile and bestest ever player ireland has ever produced! Maybe we should call up your best mate JJ.....who you know, just in case anyone forgot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

He wasn't anonymous. He won a turn over, rucked well, carried well and set up the try with a flick pass. He also made no mistakes. BTW, I thought it was SOB's worse game in a long while and I'm a SOB fan.

SOB was great at the breakdown, but its a pity that his carrying has gone off a cliff. You expect him to make yards when he presents himself to carry, but he was unable to do so. Before anyone starts, I think he had a top notch game though- completely outshone the master in his own back yard.

While I was happy with POM's game, he just doesn't have the physicality to impose himself at this level. Henry would be the best option next week IMO. He is a great defensive 7 and himself and SOB would hopefully continue our great breakdown play. Hopefully then Heaslip could concentrate more on carrying in the outer channels, as he showed improved carrying today. SOB could hopefully do similarly.

With the loss of POM, we might need DOC reintroduced to assist Ryan in acting the cnut at the breakdown. Not sure on this, but Tuohy might be better from the bench and he was anonymous today.

Other than that, we should reintroduce Ross, Reddan (wouldn't mind Murray) and Trimble (for McFadden). Depending how cohesive our outside backs then look in the second test, we might then need to introduce D'Arcy for Zebo and shunt Earls to the wing. More rotation may be needed due to our fitness/injuries. I'd worry about Cave starting as he has looked very defensively suspect in what I've seen of the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

SOB was great at the breakdown, but its a pity that his carrying has gone off a cliff. You expect him to make yards when he presents himself to carry, but he was unable to do so. Before anyone starts, I think he had a top notch game though- completely outshone the master in his own back yard.

While I was happy with POM's game, he just doesn't have the physicality to impose himself at this level. Henry would be the best option next week IMO. He is a great defensive 7 and himself and SOB would hopefully continue our great breakdown play. Hopefully then Heaslip could concentrate more on carrying in the outer channels, as he showed improved carrying today. SOB could hopefully do similarly.

With the loss of POM, we might need DOC reintroduced to assist Ryan in acting the cnut at the breakdown. Not sure on this, but Tuohy might be better from the bench and he was anonymous today.

Other than that, we should reintroduce Ross, Reddan (wouldn't mind Murray) and Trimble (for McFadden). Depending how cohesive our outside backs then look in the second test, we might then need to introduce D'Arcy for Zebo and shunt Earls to the wing. More rotation may be needed due to our fitness/injuries. I'd worry about Cave starting as he has looked very defensively suspect in what I've seen of the last two games.

I'm.... speechless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I'm.... speechless...
    well there you go. there really is a first time for everything :p

I'm.... speechless...

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,595 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

POM was anonymous and Murray was so bad.

Ah holy jesus, SOB was excellent today... One of the few players to excel, he outplayed mc caw ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Is one of those last 2 games you're talking about the HEC Final :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'm.... speechless...
    Speechless good or Speechless bad?

I don't think (in the context of this thread) that it was that rediculous :P

Makes some good points.

I'm.... speechless...

I'd like to think that its just the exponential increase of absolute ****ehawks around this place that is making me look more leveled. I have a reputation to upkeep afterall ;) .

Tox56 wrote: »
    Is one of those last 2 games you're talking about the HEC Final :confused:

He looked poor in the clip of the Baa-baas game. Only a clip mind.

What do people think of this team

1.Healy 2.Best 3.Ross
    4.Ryan 5.McLaughlin
    6.O'Brien 7.Henry 8.Heaslip

The idea of the pack is to further dominate at the break down. Hence I introduce McLaughlin at 5 who is just as good a jumper as Touhy in my opinion and has played a bit there. Henry at 7 because I think he is on par with O'Brien at the breakdown.
    With Healy, McLaughlin,O'Brien,Henry and Heaslip the ball will be quick and there will be even more turnovers. Nullify the pack and you could nullify Carter

Reddan Sexton Earls D'arcy O'Driscoll Zebo Kearney

D'arcy back because I think we need a bit of stability in our backline after the confusion today. I keep Zebo for a bit of pace on the wing. Hes joined by Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

1.Healy 2.Best 3.Ross
    4.Ryan 5.McLaughlin

The idea of the pack is to further dominate at the break down. Hence I introduce McLaughlin at 5 who is just as good a jumper as Touhy in my opinion and has played a bit there. Henry at 7 because I think he is on par with O'Brien at the breakdown.

D'arcy back because I think we need a bit of stability in our backline after the confusion today. I keep Zebo for a bit of pace on the wing. Hes joined by Earls.

I like it Tony, by far your best contribution to date:D

Thank you.

Although what are the bets that Kidney will start ROG next week :(

Leinster gave up on the Locky Lock experiment when it became clear the scrum falls to pieces when he moves in there. It won't happen.

1.Healy 2.Best 3.Ross
    4.Ryan 5.McLaughlin

With Healy, McLaughlin,O'Brien,Henry and Heaslip the ball will be quick and there will be even more turnovers. Nullify the pack and you could nullify Carter

He isn't a lock and certainly isn't a better lock than Tuohy or DOC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Leinster gave up on the Locky Lock experiment when it became clear the scrum falls to pieces when he moves in there. It won't happen.
    Was going to say.

That pack would be so underpowered it would be England X5 at scrumtime.

We have Locks to play Lock, and Flankers to play Flanker.

Not fully convinced by Henry as yet, but certainly has potential. Couldn't hurt to play him.

If we were going with that, I'd leave it till the third test (if the series is out of reach), and go with 6. POM 7. Henry 8. SOB, just to get the younger lads game time in the backrow.

Not saying Heaslip was bad, but the more big games the lads like POM, Henry and SOB get the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

I think Murray did a decent enough job, but I want to see the Reddan/Sexton combo finally given the chance.

I could care about any other changes but this for next week tbh.

He isn't a lock and certainly isn't a better lock than Tuohy or DOC

Disagree. Its a pity that Ferris is injured as he would have been the perfect man to partner Locky.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I'd like to see Fitzpatrick get another start next week ahead of Ross. Thought he was very good in the scrum and we should try to give him as much experience as possible. He looks promising, pity he's behind Afoa

clsmooth wrote: »
    I'd like to see Fitzpatrick get another start next week ahead of Ross. Thought he was very good in the scrum and we should try to give him as much experience as possible. He looks promising, pity he's behind Afoa

He looked solid alright but the man is suffering from lack of matchtime/fitness big time

He looked solid alright but the man is suffering from lack of matchtime/fitness big time

Yeah, let's start him so with the idea of swapping him with Ross at 50.

Let's keep some strength on our bench and use our bench as a weapon instead of a lifeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Lads, SOB was certainly NOT excellent today. He gave the ball away a few times with handling errors and I'm sure I saw him slip off one or two tackles. He was good at the breakdown alright.

Those simple errors can kill any momentum and give the opposition a big boost. The team made too made simple errors and every one got punished by NZ who were clinical.

Its about doing the basics well.

Lads, SOB was certainly NOT excellent today. He gave the ball away a few times with handling errors and I'm sure I saw him slip off one or two tackles. He was good at the breakdown alright.

Those simple errors can kill any momentum and give the opposition a big boost. The team made too made simple errors and every one got punished by NZ who were clinical.

He was one of our best players. Even the kiwi commentators were impressed by him, first thing Paul Wallace said as well. Not sure how you missed all of his contributions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

He was our best player by a friggin mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Is it a 23 man squad for these games, or 22?

Advertisement