Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

.ak wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with the times player assessment - they're often comical and have no bearing on what the journo actually writes.

Just scanning them there, some amusing stuff. Zebo was defensively assured and played better than Ryan, apparently. Joint highest rated Irish player.Fitzpatrick out performed Healy. McCaw was as good as Read. I guess that comment by Malachy Clerkin is true to some extent and the player ratings aren't really something that concern journos too much. All subjective, I guess, but Zebo ahead of Ryan and Healy? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

.ak wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with the times player assessment - they're often comical and have no bearing on what the journo actually writes.

I dont take much much notice usually, as another post said earlier it's opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

i just realised why we lost so badly...only just heard the anthems for the first time and that bald fella did his best to butcher any sort of psych up for the irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

also there is a fantastic youtube channel called SuperKakashiSenpai that puts full matches up http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperKakashiSenpai?feature=watch

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

finatron wrote: »
    The Irish times gave McCaw 8 and SOB 7 so as you say where all entitiled to are opinion
    7-Richie McCaw - 6.5/10
    Uncharacteristic early errors from the captain, dropping a couple. Solid but unspectacular performance but to be fair he didn't need his A game.

That's TVNZ's rating of McCaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

"7-Richie McCaw - 6.5/10
    Uncharacteristic early errors from the captain, dropping a couple. Solid but unspectacular performance but to be fair he didn't need his A game." TVNZ

And to be fair, they are right. He didnt.

Kidney must have phoned in the ratings to The Times with Zebo joint highest rated Irish player.

I think they're just compiled very quickly after the game so the writer doesn't have any chance to analyse the game or look at replays. Players who are obviously anonymous or make mistakes will be harshly marked but those, like Zebo, whose errors were mixed in amongst phase play and made some clear, positive contributions, will score well.

I can assume he just gives McCaw a high mark because, on likelihood of past evidence, he'll have been buried in every ruck and making every tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I haven't seen mention of it anywhere else, but Duffy has been called up as cover for Earls. Pretty terrible call on the face of it. Would have been a great chance to call up another Gilroy/Kearney as both can cover wing and fullback.

How accomplished is Duffy as a defensive 15 and organizer of his back 3? We could look at shunting Kearney to the wing, but I've never really considered him any use there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Duffy is a good player but utterly pointless to call him up. He'll only play if Kearney is injured. Absolutely stupid call.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Duffy is a good player but utterly pointless to call him up. He'll only play if Kearney is injured. Absolutely stupid call.

Hardly surprising though, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Where was it confirmed that Buckley is on standby?

The worst part, imo, is he's clearly been called up as a 13.

fitz wrote: »
    Hardly surprising though, is it?

Sigh. No.

I can't wait for Kidney to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Im a big fan of Duffy and he has in the past played in the centre when injuries required it , but to call him up as cover for a centre makes no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

The worst part, imo, is he's clearly been called up as a 13.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion straight away. Earls was our backup 15 so Duffy might be coming in to fill that role.

We have McFadden, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll and Cave there.

So we should be taking this opportunity to get someoen like Spence or O'Malley or Eoin Griffin some squad experience.

Also, what did Paddy Wallace do!

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion straight away. Earls was our backup 15 so Duffy might be coming in to fill that role.

Ah yeah that is a good point. My bad.

As a 15 I'd have Duffy involved for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

I really think it was a bad decision to go back to nz after the wc being there 11 months of a season,

A whole host of players could get called up for the last test, there could be more injuries in the backs than there letting on,

Connacht could have 2 players on the team by the 3 rd game

He's there as full back cover. There are 4 other centres out there but Earls was also the cover for 15. Duffy deserves another call up on the basis of being a servant but it's an odd call. No indication that he was in contention before now.

Also makes a mockery of the original small squad. Everyone knew there were going to be injuries at the end of such a season playing in such a high intensity match.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

GerM wrote: »
    He's there as full back cover. There are 4 other centres out there but Earls was also the cover for 15. Duffy deserves another call up on the basis of being a servant but it's an odd call. No indication that he was in contention before now.

Also makes a mockery of the original small squad. Everyone knew there were going to be injuries at the end of such a season playing in such a high intensity match.

It also means he'll have to bench as we're without fullback cover in the event of Kearney taking a knock... Surely Baby Kearns would make more sense...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Duffy is a ridiculous call up. He is neither the right man for this tour nor a prospect for the future. He's been a fringe player for 8 years now, is he the man to take on the kiwis?

GerM wrote: »

Agree with this, bringing 29 players was a joke, anyone coming out now will nearly have just arrived ,showered meet the lads and then could be on the bench on sat.

very poor planning

Especially when one injury is enough for a call up. Did they really think they would have zero injuries over 3 games??? Absolutely stupid.

Duffy is a ridiculous call up. He is neither the right man for this tour nor a prospect for the future. He's been a fringe player for 8 years now, is he the man to take on the kiwis?

While i agree with you as such, he was a fringe player because even though he was imo 2nd behind kearney , kidney decided he wanted earls or fitz as his full back as opposed to a man who can play full back and was playing very well at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Shelflife wrote: »
    While i agree with you as such, he was a fringe player because even though he was imo 2nd behind kearney , kidney decided he wanted earls or fitz as his full back as opposed to a man who can play full back and was playing very well at the time.

Two better prospects at 15 than Duffy. Earls is even a superior 15 atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Is Felix Jones injured ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

As a Kiwi (living in Eire), I would seriously consider Ferris for an All Black starting team at 6. SOB could be useful on the bench. I would like to see how Bowe would go in Super Rugby, he's no worse than Guildford (who I would replace with Ben Smith or Hosea Gear for this week). Would be interested in Irish comments on this article:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/chris-rattue/news/article.cfm?a_id=22&objectid=10811780&ref=rss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Is Felix Jones injured ?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi wrote: »
    As a Kiwi (living in Eire), I would seriously consider Ferris for an All Black starting team at 6. SOB could be useful on the bench. I would like to see how Bowe would go in Super Rugby, he's no worse than Guildford (who I would replace with Ben Smith or Hosea Gear for this week). Would be interested in Irish comments on this article:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/chris-rattue/news/article.cfm?a_id=22&objectid=10811780&ref=rss

Whoever wrote that article doesn't half stick the knife in, asking what BOD would have achieved "in a stronger test team", top class Irish wings "in short supply", Ferris a shining light in an area with a "dearth" of quality

Not saying he/she is wrong, but don't see the need for the little digs :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Rattue is known for his acerbic comments, ignore those, I was more meaning whether you agree with his all time Irish 15?

Advertisement