Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Before the game has begun, Murray is already being singled out as the reason why the backs aren't firing. :rolleyes:

And your off on a pre emptive strike to defend the Munster man. Go figure. Must be getting tough now though seeing as their aint many left. And one out of the two that are shouldnt even be starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

LordSmeg wrote: »
    And your off on a pre emptive strike to defend the Munster man. Go figure.

Just getting it down in writing now, so I can bring it up after the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Just getting it down in writing now, so I can bring it up after the match.

You not think it crazy though that Reddan is a better choice anyway but seeing as he's all but going with the Leinster team its outrageous to stick with Murray ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Hmmm, not nearly as interesting a team announcement as last week, it has to be said.

I'd agree that McFadden is very lucky to keep his place, but I think it more reflects the poor squad selection than a ringing endorsement of Ferg's ability as a winger. What I mean is, if Trimble is more of a left winger and he takes Zebo's spot, there's no-one left to fill the right-wing slot ahead of McFadden...

The selection of the backline is clearly meant to be defensively stronger than last week (and I suppose that's partly the justification for the retention of Murray), we'll see how it pans out.

I'm glad Tuohy gets another go; it won't be any easier to make an impact this weekend but it would be ridiculously harsh to discard him on the basis of one game.

The back row selection is disappointing; I don't think POM did very much last week but I really wanted to see Chris Henry get a run, bringing him in at 7 and shifting O'Brien to 6 might have been a better call.

The bench has a serious lack of versatility about it. Has Fitzpatrick ever played loose-head? Behind the scrum, we have a scrum-half, an out-half and a left wing, none of whom have played senior rugby in any other position. A couple of injuries and things could go pear-shaped. Wouldn't Duffy have been a better bench man than Zebo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

So the big question, what the F do we do if Kearney gets a knock? Has anyone in that 22 played fullback? maybe Trimble at some stage?

Scary thought!

Quite certain Darce has caps at FB from 99 or so, he's played there for Leinster before playing centre, I'd guess Sexton to 12, ROG to 10 and Darce to FB, or maybe Sexton to FB? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Mc Fadden - not good
    Murray - poor selection
    D'arcy - oh dear

I imagine Kidney is going to continue with his party piece of moving Sexton to 12 when ROG comes on. Never mind that fact that ROG is just a passenger and Sexton isn't a 12.

Reddan will start the final test match alongside ROG.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

So the big question, what the F do we do if Kearney gets a knock? Has anyone in that 22 played fullback? maybe Trimble at some stage?

Zebo has played there before, if only briefly.

As for the team...I dunno. I like McLaughlin, think he's a good player, and I've nothing against rotation and his form being rewarded really. I'm a massive POM fan and Henry deserves a shot too but we still have a test to go.

Ross was always going to come in for Fitzpatrick, I think Tuohy deserved to stay on. Mightn't have had a good game the last day, but is there much point in reverting to DOC. Tuohy is a good player and will be around for a good few years yet.

Murray V Reddan- Murray was given an unfairly harsh time after the last time. Okay he did make some mistakes, costly ones at that, but he really picked his game up, his passing wasn't slow and his defence was brilliant. Reddan is probably a better choice but I think Murray will do okay at least. From a defensive POV, it makes sense.

D'Arcy at centre...he'll add a certain solidity but I don't think he has what it takes for international rugby anymore. Bit of a step back. Would have preferred Cave but at least he is a natural 12 and will slot in with Sexton and BOD seamlessly.

Trimble is the other player in, I guess it's fair enough to switch things around again. He's a good player, generally performs well for his country. Form hasn't been spectacular but from the players in the squad, I don't think there's many complaints with him starting. McFadden is a bit lucky but he has a chance to redeem himself....I'd like to see Zebo get another start tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Jaysus... I never thought I'd see an Irish team with just 2 Munster players in it.

Glad Locky is getting a chance, but personally I thought POM was pretty good last week. Sorry boys, but I am gunna jump on the "if we lose it's Murrays' fault regardless of scoreline" bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Incredibly harsh on Cave to drop him from the 22 without getting a real shot and similarly on Henry for not getting a look in again. However McLaughlin was very good during Leinster's run in.

McFadden is very fortunate to still be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Incredibly harsh on Cave to drop him from the 22 without getting a real shot and similarly on Henry for not getting a look in again. However McLaughlin was very good during Leinster's run in.

McFadden is very fortunate to still be there.

Aye, surprised at McFadden. I can see the logic in having him in the 22, as he can cover 11-14, but I thought he'd be on the bench. Saying that though, he did score our only try last weekend.

Murray.....not going to comment until after the match. Saw nice sighs from him last week, and hopefully it'll show again on Saturday. Saying that though, it's still odd splitting up Sexton and Reddan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Ugh. Murray being selected is a farce. Same with McFadden. Poor team, **** coach, going to get hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

No Reddan - it's the hope that kills you.

I just pray Murray proves me wrong (unlikely)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

I'm going to the hamilton game 3,
    I hope this match is close enough Hansen won't be cocky enough play our under 19s reserves for the 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

This just in: SBW was seen quaking in his boots today. No, not because there has been another earthquake in Chch, but because Gordon "Darce" Darcy has been named at inside centre for Ireland. "With his dynamic attacking skills, ability to offload in the tackle, and bone-jarring defence, I just feel I will have to step my game up another level. Fozzie (All Blacks back coach Ian Foster) immediately convened a meeting to work out how we would shut down the Darcy threat. We were just relieved they left Ronan (Rog) O'Gara on the bench", he added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Klunk_NZ wrote: »
    I'm going to the hamilton game 3,
    I hope this match is close enough Hansen won't be cocky enough play our under 19s reserves for the 3rd.

I look quite forward to see how Cruden, Nonu, Ellison, Gear, Ben Smith etc go if they get a run in Hamilton I just hope Weepu is left on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

Swiwi wrote: »
    I look quite forward to see how Cruden, Nonu, Ellison, Gear, Ben Smith etc go if they get a run in Hamilton I just hope Weepu is left on the bench.

Still, if I pay money for a game I want the best 15 on the park. Although I wouldn't mind Carter rested, Cruden can be even more dangerous on attack at times. I think Nonu is better then SBW anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I think that is a stronger 15 that started last week. Earls was injured so Kidney had a decision to make at 12 and went for our most experienced 12. I thought D'Arcy's form improved after the 6N and his defence is generally top notch. Trimble will add more physicality than Zebo (who I think is a bit unlucky). Mcfadden is a bit lucky to hang on. Delighted Ross is back and Healy is fit (can we trouble them at scrum time?) are back and that Deccie has resisted DOC being parachuted straight back in. McLoughlin has had a great season for Leinster and deserves his chance. POM didn't do much last week. Only selection is Murray-I just hope he has a good game for his sake.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

To put a positive spin on it, at least he's keeping the halfbacks together and not switching the 10s like he did a season or 2 ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jaysus lads what is Kidney at???

Where's Strauss, Leo, Brad/Toner, Reddan and Isa???? How does Declan expect us to beat the mighty all blacks!!!

As for his bench....no jennings (although he should be at 7) or Isaac or Madigan or baby Kearney or Luke Fitz (that man is a god) or Big Devin....

Cave and Henry disappear.

So much for "rotation"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

brinty wrote: »

Where's Strauss, Leo, Brad/Toner, Reddan and Isa???? How does Declan expect us to beat the mighty all blacks!!!

As for his bench....no jennings (although he should be at 7) or Isaac or Madigan or baby Kearney or Luke Fitz (that man is a god) or Big Devin....
    Wtf?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bassfish wrote: »
    brinty wrote: »

Wtf?

I think someone its bemoaning the fact theres so many leinster players on the team.

I really hope that murray does himself proud on saturday. I know theres been a big clamor for him to be replaced, and tightly so imo, but there opportunity is on his hands.

I'm slightly more optimistic of a less than the spread defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

This just in: SBW was seen quaking in his boots today. No, not because there has been another earthquake in Chch, but because Gordon "Darce" Darcy has been named at inside centre for Ireland. "With his dynamic attacking skills, ability to offload in the tackle, and bone-jarring defence, I just feel I will have to step my game up another level. Fozzie (All Blacks back coach Ian Foster) immediately convened a meeting to work out how we would shut down the Darcy threat. We were just relieved they left Ronan (Rog) O'Gara on the bench", he added.

And the prize for the sh1ttest, most ignorant, pathetic post of the thread is won, no contest. These guys have given a lot to Irish rugby, you don't have to like them and no problem with outing forward arguments why they should not be in or another should be. But you're no comedian and they deserve some respect. Shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

LordSmeg wrote: »
    And your off on a pre emptive strike to defend the Munster man. Go figure. Must be getting tough now though seeing as their aint many left. And one out of the two that are shouldnt even be starting.

:rolleyes:

ffs

Darcy and McFadden don't deserve to be on that team either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

and unsurprising after yet another poor squad selection I still have no interest in this 3 match series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Money Bill will have his feet on the ground and is no idiot so he won't be taking anyone for granted.
    There is actually a difference between arrogance and confidence with ability. Being arrogant on someone else's behalf is just sad.
    I'm not thin-skinned about this at all though. I've worked with each of the last few New Zealand touring parties when over here and they are nothing like the section of a sad pocket of their supporters that you unfortunately signify as hailing from.

Your post was about as funny as a fentestuc Conchords show or an Alan Duff story. Don't give up the day job.

Happy with the back but I'm aghast with the selection of McFadden and Murray

McFadden simply isn't an International rugby winger, and won't turn into one anytime soon. if Kidney is giving him another shot it should be at 12

I feel very sorry for Eoin Reddan. The guy deserves better

I thought it was pretty funny.

People need to thicken their skins. It's hardly a Frankie Boyle style joke.

Ya I got a smile out of it anyway

Pointing out something isn't funny either is a bit mean too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

poor selection on the bench if corcoran has it right, only prop who can play both sides not picked, not fair on fitzpatrick if healy picks up a knock. Ditto zebo.

No FB cover either and if Duffy was flown to NZ to cover Kearney then why isnt he picked, no use having the cover in the stands. Praying that Kearney does not get a knock.

Biggest grievance is that Henry and Cave are dropped . Makes absolutely no sense to me what so ever

Advertisement