Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jane will miss the Irish series through injury, Zac Guildford has been called up as his replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Jane will miss the Irish series through injury, Zac Guildford has been called up as his replacement.

Edited due to offence being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

GerM wrote: »
    I hear he's gone on the lash to celebrate.

I love humor about peoples alcoholism, it's so witty...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

its_phil wrote: »
    I love humor about peoples alcoholism, it's so witty...

:rolleyes:

Guilford does do some hilarious **** when he's smashed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Scary depth.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Tom Court out of the tour with a fractured thumb according to Michael Corcoran on the Twitter....

fitz wrote: »
    Tom Court out of the tour with a fractured thumb according to Michael Corcoran on the Twitter....

The Barbarians match suddenly becomes huge for Loughney and Fitzpatrick. Losing Court is a blow but it gives one of the younger guys a chance to step up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

The Barbarians match suddenly becomes huge for Loughney and Fitzpatrick. Losing Court is a blow but it gives one of the younger guys a chance to step up.

+1, should be a huge opportunity for both of them to stake a claim.
    Assuming Deccie doesn't call up Horan.

+1, should be a huge opportunity for both of them to stake a claim.
    Assuming Deccie doesn't call up Horan.

Horan couldn't make the Munster 23 and hasn't played for a number of weeks. No chance he'll get a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Horan couldn't make the Munster 23 and hasn't played for a number of weeks. No chance he'll get a call.

from a coach who picks on form there's no chance, with DK at the helm i wouldnt be surprised.

Really hope to see Loughney, Fitzpatrick, Touhy, Gilroy, Cave, Madigan all making the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

To be honest, this is not the worst thing to happen to the squad, assuming Healy stays fit. We saw in Twickenham that Court is not a great bench option as long as the 22-man squad remains in force, so if it forces Kidney into giving Fitzpatrick or Loughney a go, then all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Interesting article from Justin Marshall

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/6955685/All-Blacks-will-crush-misplaced-Irish-confidence

Interesting end to the article where he brings up Brad Thorn;

"I've talked to people close to the club who say his contribution has been immense.

Leinster has an Irish test loosie with a reputation among his team-mates for being way too opinionated, especially during training.

The story goes that Brad Thorn had been there for only two weeks when at training one night the loosie started having too much to say again.

Thorn apparently withdrew that gnarled head of his from out of a scrum and in that gravelly voice nobody can imitate: "Save the energy for the scrum mate. I can't even feel any weight from you. Less talk, more pushing mate!"

I also can't help but think of the Blues when I tell that story. They don't necessarily need Thorn next year (although they could do worse in the market), but they certainly need some Brad Thorn attitude and his type of player."

Question: Who is "the Irish test loosie" in question here;

The rest of the article is fairly one eyed;

leftleg wrote: »
    Interesting article from Justin Marshall

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/6955685/All-Blacks-will-crush-misplaced-Irish-confidence

Interesting end to the article where he brings up Brad Thorn;

"I've talked to people close to the club who say his contribution has been immense.

Leinster has an Irish test loosie with a reputation among his team-mates for being way too opinionated, especially during training.

The story goes that Brad Thorn had been there for only two weeks when at training one night the loosie started having too much to say again.

Thorn apparently withdrew that gnarled head of his from out of a scrum and in that gravelly voice nobody can imitate: "Save the energy for the scrum mate. I can't even feel any weight from you. Less talk, more pushing mate!"

I also can't help but think of the Blues when I tell that story. They don't necessarily need Thorn next year (although they could do worse in the market), but they certainly need some Brad Thorn attitude and his type of player."

banter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The squad is being announced at 11.30 today.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The squad is being announced at 11.30 today.
    IRELAND SQUAD TO TOUR NEW ZEALAND
    (Possible) --
    R Kearney, A Trimble, K Earls, F McFadden,
    B O'Driscoll (capt), G D'Arcy, P Wallace,
    J Sexton, R O'Gara,
    E Reddan, C Murray, I Boss,

C Healy, M Ross, T Court*, D Fitzpatrick,
    R Best, S Cronin, M Sherry,
    P O'Connell*, D Ryan, D Tuohy, D O'Callaghan,
    S Ferris, S O'Brien, J Heaslip, C Henry, K McLaughlin, P O'Mahony.
    (* Subject to fitness)

- Hugh Farrelly

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/experience-key-to-kidney-tour-plans-3113119.html

Farrelly is a Kidney asskisser so no doubt the above squad is fairly accurate.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/experience-key-to-kidney-tour-plans-3113119.html

"There have been concerted calls for a new departure after disappointing conclusions to the World Cup and Six Nations, a nod to the future by exposing up-and-coming talent to the realities of international rugby at the highest level.

However, do not expect Ireland coach Declan Kidney to bow to those calls and the squad named today is likely to contain the majority of the names who participated in those two unfulfilling competitions.

That means the likes of Donncha O'Callaghan, Gordon D'Arcy, Paddy Wallace and Tom Court continuing as Ireland squad regulars and, to be fair to Kidney, quality alternatives are not exactly dropping from the trees, while D'Arcy and Wallace, in particular, are form selections."

What shower did this moron come down in!

):

leftleg wrote: »

"There have been concerted calls for a new departure after disappointing conclusions to the World Cup and Six Nations, a nod to the future by exposing up-and-coming talent to the realities of international rugby at the highest level.

However, do not expect Ireland coach Declan Kidney to bow to those calls and the squad named today is likely to contain the majority of the names who participated in those two unfulfilling competitions.

That means the likes of Donncha O'Callaghan, Gordon D'Arcy, Paddy Wallace and Tom Court continuing as Ireland squad regulars and, to be fair to Kidney, quality alternatives are not exactly dropping from the trees, while D'Arcy and Wallace, in particular, are form selections."

What shower did this moron come down in!

):

These 'journalists' don't criticise because they want to be on good terms with coaches/players to get access. I've no time for any of them.

Justindee will instantly refute the above but it makes sense to me. It's not based on any fact but logical assumption I'll admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It's just not funny any more, I really wish I could sit down with someone like Farrelly and see if he really is as deluded as he appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

This is depressing.

Think this was major points, was typing and listening to conference: Zebo and Cave are in. McLaughlin isn't. Henry isn't unless he can prove fitness. Madigan isn't. Wilkinson on stand by for Court. Fitzpatrick in. POC is AN Other at moment as is Boss.

• Advertisement

3 new caps in squad, zebo, sherry, fitzpatrick

Forwards (16):
    Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
    Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
    Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon /Ulster)*
    Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
    Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
    Mike Sherry (Garryowen/Munster)*
    Dan Tuohy (Ballymena /Ulster)
    A.N. Other
    A.N. Other
    A.N. Other
    Backs (13):
    Darren Cave ( Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
    Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
    Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
    Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) Captain
    Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
    Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
    A.N. Other
    *Denotes Uncapped Player

The AN Other players are: POC, Court, Henry and Boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Experimenting in matches against New Zealand isn't going to happen, according to Kidney.

GerM wrote: »
    The AN Other players are: POC, Court, Henry and Boss.

is court not out for 6 weeks with a fractured finger?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Tox56 wrote: »
    Experimenting in matches against New Zealand isn't going to happen, according to Kidney.
    Its not going to happen in the Six Nations next year also so when exactly is it going to happen?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Surprised not to see Wallace there. He deserved to travel in his own right, but I assumed he would be providing fly half cover as well.

Zebo :rolleyes:

what do you mean experimenting? everything is fine we don't need to experiment;

bamboozle wrote: »
    is court not out for 6 weeks with a fractured finger?

Monitoring him currently with Loughney to come in, more than likely, if confirmed. Henry will probably travel, they just want him to get another few sessions under his belt. POC is touch and go and no player specifically mentioned as a replacement. Boss likely to travel but Paul Marshall name checked as someone to possibly come in if he misses out.

Surprised how small the squad is. 29 players for a three test tour in NZ means we're looking at minimal rotation. 5 back row players only.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Forwards (16):

Rory Best, Sean Cronin, Mike Sherry
    Cian Healy, Mike Ross, Declan Fitzpatrick, A.N. Other (missed out on who this is)
    Donnacha Ryan, Donncha O'Callaghan, Dan Tuohy, A.N. Other (POC if fit)
    Stephen Ferris, Jamie Heaslip, Sean O'Brien, Peter O'Mahony, A.N. Other (Henry if fit)

Backs (13):

Conor Murray, Eoin Reddan, A.N. Other (Boss if fit)
    Jonathan Sexton, Ronan O'Gara
    Gordon D'Arcy, Brian O'Driscoll, Darren Cave
    Keith Earls, Fergus McFadden, Andrew Trimble, Simon Zebo
    Rob Kearney

I thought Wallace would get in due to him being able to cover out half. We could be in a situation if either ROG or Sexton gets injured. You can take it that ROG will be starting against the BaaBaas next week.

Earls is covering full back.

I feel bad for Toner as unless he gets a chunk of game time on Sunday he won't have had a proper chance to show his worth for Ireland selection.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Surprised not to see Wallace there. He deserved to travel in his own right, but I assumed he would be providing fly half cover as well.

Zebo :rolleyes:

Didn't even realise about Wallace. Don't think he was mentioned by any journo in the press conference either. Madness that he's not there if he's fit. In great form and has gone to NZ in the past and done well against them.

Advertisement