Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    It's not like we were constantly with out backs to the wall though. Our second half performance was the most encouraging in terms of style I've seen since the French game 2 years ago

I completely agree. I'd like to say I feel consistency has suddenly become apart of our makeup, but I'm still worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I wonder where Earls will play if he's fit, D'Arcy was good today and he and BOD have such good understanding of eachother. Presumably wing but he went public saying he wanted to play centre, so I guess we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

I wonder should DK rotate a few players for next week. Especially some of the Leinster players like Healy, SOB and Heaslip. They've all had long seasons and playing 240mins vs NZ is a lot to ask.

The likes of Henry, Loughney, McCarthy deserve to be in the mix at least.

The backline today offered very little today in attack and I'd love for Cave to partner BOD. Darcy was excellent defensively but he was hobbling off the pitch so doesn't look good for next week. Zebo deserves another shot, Trimble offered very little today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Kevin McLaughlin showed today that he can translate his Club form on to the international stage. He was tremendous. The one thing I love about him is his ability to carry with intelligence. Even if it's just running at a slight angle, he at least attempts to do something when he's carrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

I didn't think Locky was spectacular this game. I thought he did well enough at the breakdown and made a few good carries, but he was outshone by Heaslip and SoB. I'd still probably start him next week, he was better than PoM in the opening game, and PoM makes a better impact sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

after such a marked improvement , the last thing we need to be doing now is changing the team - i think the all leinster back row works well together , then bring POM on from bench for impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Hagz wrote: »
    Kevin McLaughlin showed today that he can translate his Club form on to the international stage. He was tremendous. The one thing I love about him is his ability to carry with intelligence. Even if it's just running at a slight angle, he at least attempts to do something when he's carrying.

Yep, he takes good angles and usually brings two tacklers with him and gets over the gainline. Really valuable to get on the front foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

would like to see Marshall at some point.. even if that means Reddan dropped from bench (ideally Reddan would start and Marshall on bench but doubt that will happen)

Maybe start Earls on wing instead of McFadden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I didn't think Locky was spectacular this game. I thought he did well enough at the breakdown and made a few good carries, but he was outshone by Heaslip and SoB. I'd still probably start him next week, he was better than PoM in the opening game, and PoM makes a better impact sub.
    Did his job. Tackle like a maniac, slow down opposition in defence and get in faces of ball carriers at fringes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I was skeptical about Locky at International level but I'm delighted to say I was wrong. He was fantastic today and put in the kind of shift he does time and time again for Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

wprathead wrote: »
    Maybe start Earls on wing instead of McFadden
    Earls is a lot more threatening on the wing and I haven't been impressed with McFadden there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

For rotation purposes and after the season he's had, I think Henry deserves a start. The only possible point against it is that it would mean moving SOB to 6 after he's done so well at 7, but I expect him to do the same work anyway.

If Earls is fit I would definitely start him ahead of McFadden on the wing. D'Arcy for his defence is still probably the best option at 12 for the start of the game.

Murray/Reddan. Debate still open, Murray did well but when you think about it... if one of them is definitely going to have to come off the bench, I think Reddan is a hugely superior option on the bench, he'll come on and speed things up, Murray wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Haven't seen the game yet, but believe Ireland gave an excellent account of themselves, and were unlucky to lose. Well done. The key now is to repeat next week, but I am happy it was close, and I look forward to watching the match.

I wouldn't disrupt the flow of our backrow from today and because he's a better option on the bench and made a good impact I'd keep POM there. So for that reason I'd leave Henry out, which pains me to say because he deserves a shot and hopefully he'll get it at some stage

I'd shift Earls to the wing,. Trimble hangs on by the skin of his teeth only because of his physicality

BOD and Darcy together in center again. Sexton nine and Murray at ten with Reddan on after 60min to shift the pace

I'd give Tuohy another chance but I wasn't really that impressed with him today again. Seemed to go missing in parts. Hopefully he's still adjusting to the pace

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thing is, we've really shown our hand here today. Can't see the ABs self-destructing like they did today again.

So is it same again? Or do we change things up?

Personally I'd love to see the same again up front. I think that worked so well it gave our backs a platform to run at pace. For the second half we were making yards for fun and tearing up the ABs. I've never seen a 'tier 2' nation do that to them. I rarely even see a tier 1 nation do it to them for that matter.

If we could manage that again we'd be onto something, but can't see it happening imo.

.ak wrote: »
    Thing is, we've really shown our hand here today. Can't see the ABs self-destructing like they did today again.

So is it same again? Or do we change things up?

Personally I'd love to see the same again up front. I think that worked so well it gave our backs a platform to run at pace. For the second half we were making yards for fun and tearing up the ABs. I've never seen a 'tier 2' nation do that to them. I rarely even see a tier 1 nation do it to them for that matter.

If we could manage that again we'd be onto something, but can't see it happening imo.

I really don't think they did though. We didn't let them do it by beating them up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I really don't think they did though. We didn't let them do it by beating them up front
    Exactly. They were matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Fireball07 wrote: »
    For rotation purposes and after the season he's had, I think Henry deserves a start. The only possible point against it is that it would mean moving SOB to 6

so your point is mclaughlin deserves to be dropped :confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sexton nine and Murray at ten with Reddan on after 60min to shift the pace

That'll really mix things up :D

I'd bring Earls onto Trimble's wing and shift Trimble across onto McFadden's and then put him on the bench. I'd also start Reddan but otherwise as you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Swiwi wrote: »
    Haven't seen the game yet, but believe Ireland gave an excellent account of themselves, and were unlucky to lose. Well done. The key now is to repeat next week, but I am happy it was close, and I look forward to watching the match.
    That will be tricky with the psychological damage of the previous two defeats and a pile of tired and broken bodies at the end of a very, very long season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

thebaz wrote: »
    so your point is mclaughlin deserves to be dropped :confused::confused::confused:

Well I think Henry deserves a start. And McLaughlin is the logical player to be left out.

I don't think it's a question of being "dropped", one of people's main criticisms of Kidney is that he doesn't rotate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

My brother missed the match as he had to work.

Is ANY TV station other than SKY showing highlights of this match and the England and Wales matches in the coming days ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Even Sean Fitzpatrick said that he didn't think NZ played that badly, rather that Ireland were excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Piliger wrote: »
    My brother missed the match as he had to work.

Is ANY TV station other than SKY showing highlights of this match and the England and Wales matches in the coming days ???

They're up on youtube in full - also highlights if you cant find the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

19543261 wrote: »
    They're up on youtube in full - also highlights if you cant find the time.

I can't find anything other than a short clip of the 2nd test. Did you see the whole match there ?

Didn't we just nearly beat yer first 15 missing 5 of our regular starters on your own patch?

Credit where credit is due, have not had access to the match yet, but as I posted earlier it appears Ireland played very well, and were unlucky to lose. Living in Ireland, I knew the Irish could play better than last week, but I did not expect it to be this close, given the emotion of playing in Chch post-earthquake (bit like Ire v Eng at Croke a few years back). I believe Savea was pretty ordinary under the high ball, and I was surprised this tactic wasnt tried last week. Anyway, I'm glad it was a better performance, and once I watch the game, I might see what NZers didn't play well. I believe Thomson was found wanting again, emphasising my opinion that Ferris would walk into an AB team. The trick for you guys is to repeart next week, and try and send BOD off in style, as great player and all, I don't see him being back in NZ in 12 years, when the Irish next tour downunder!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

tbh the only part of the post I read was him calling us an average side!

Mate, if you are going to comment on a post, at least have the decency to read it. You have a fair few posts on this blog, and I wouldn't comment on one of yours if I just read the first line.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

If Ireland aren't touring New Zealand for 12 years, who exactly will they be playing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

KJY wrote: »
    If Ireland aren't touring New Zealand for 12 years, who exactly will they be playing?
    this was posted a few weeks ago. IRB tour schedule was agreed upon, hoping to bring back old school tours including midweek games, and is up until the 2023 world cup
    2013 North America - Lions
    2014 Argentina
    2015 RWC no summer tours
    2016 South Africa
    2017 Japan - Lions
    2018 Australia
    2019 RWC No Summer Tours
    2020 Argentina
    2021 Pacific Islands - Lions
    2022 Australia
    2023 RWC No Summer Tours

Advertisement