Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

KJY wrote: »
    If Ireland aren't touring New Zealand for 12 years, who exactly will they be playing?

Australia and South Africa.

Keep in mind that '13, '15, '17, '19, '21 won't see full tours!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Swiwi wrote: »
    Cheers!

For games in 720 or 1080 I use accrossthetasman, ligntning speed torrents of all the games an hour or two after, blistering speed too, 10 minutes later I get a game in HD. (not plugging this for any reason other than trying to help out non sky-sports customers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Watching the game again and I have to say that Rory Best was simply immense. Our most consistent performer

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Watching the game again and I have to say that Rory Best was simply immense. Our most consistent performer

And has been playing like a demon for a long time now, can't remember a bad performance since before the world cup, we was also IMO the best irish player in the world cup.

• Advertisement

Mate, if you are going to comment on a post, at least have the decency to read it. You have a fair few posts on this blog, and I wouldn't comment on one of yours if I just read the first line.

True. It was literally in the few seconds after the game though when emotions were running high like I said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I didn't get to see the game yet but I'm happy for the players, they deserve more respect than they got off the media during the week. Still, you have idiotic headings like this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

profitius wrote: »
    I didn't get to see the game yet but I'm happy for the players, they deserve more respect than they got off the media during the week. Still, you have idiotic headings like this one.

The only way you get respect down south is by winning. Which is fair enough tbh.

Well having just watched, I agree, MOTM for me. Ireland forward pack was excellent, Best great, and last few scrums made for painful AB viewing. Backs were great too, especially the midfield which held up well, and I have to say O'Gara was pretty decent when he came on. Do wonder if last year's RWC final helped NZ keep their calm.

For NZ, McCaw made 4 knock-ons by my count, and although still has leadership & mana, he is not currently the player of yesteryear. Sam Cane was decent, and I wonder if McCaw should go to 6 permanently. Might even consider Messam for next week.

Some of the AB passing was woeful, and Savea had a terrible game: dropsies in the first half, and zero workrate in the second. How we missed Cory Jane in those conditions. Aaron Smith had another good game though.

Ireland must be gutted, and rightly so, and the NZ commentary I listened to paid due homage.

I look forward to seeing what selections both coaches make this week (NZ definitely need to look at props in the 22, make up of back row, and I reckon Hosea Gear deserves a shot).

Good luck for next week.

Well having just watched, I agree, MOTM for me. Ireland forward pack was excellent, Best great, and last few scrums made for painful AB viewing. Backs were great too, especially the midfield which held up well, and I have to say O'Gara was pretty decent when he came on. Do wonder if last year's RWC final helped NZ keep their calm.

For NZ, McCaw made 4 knock-ons by my count, and although still has leadership & mana, he is not currently the player of yesteryear. Sam Cane was decent, and I wonder if McCaw should go to 6 permanently. Might even consider Messam for next week.

Some of the AB passing was woeful, and Savea had a terrible game: dropsies in the first half, and zero workrate in the second. How we missed Cory Jane in those conditions. Aaron Smith had another good game though.

Ireland must be gutted, and rightly so, and the NZ commentary I listened to paid due homage.

I look forward to seeing what selections both coaches make this week (NZ definitely need to look at props in the 22, make up of back row, and I reckon Hosea Gear deserves a shot).

Good luck for next week.

What do you make of Adam Thompson?

In my view he's the most limited AB in that 22. Wouldn't make the Irish squad anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

A few lineouts went askew, but he was great around the park. And I know hookers aren't solely responsible for lineout problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

profitius wrote: »
    Very, very patronising. :mad:

Very, very patronising. :mad:

It's Reuters lads. Not a NZ media outlet per say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

So do people anticipate much change next week? Will we go for more of the same, or change things up in order to keep them guessing?

What do you make of Adam Thompson?

In my view he's the most limited AB in that 22. Wouldn't make the Irish squad anyway

I think he is athletic but too small for an international 6. He is fantastic in open rugby (eg a free-flowing S15 game in dry conditions), but just doesn't cut the mustard internationally in tight games like yesterday. He has also been tried at 7, but isn't great either. Definitely NZ's weakest position at present, in the absence of Kaino (injured, but heading off to Japan anyway). The jury is still out on Vito, and it is a pity he was injured, it was the perfect game to test his mettle. I think Liam Messam deserves another shot, and the coaches did initially select a guy called Brad Shields who I have barely seen play, but was apparently very good at the under 20s last year. The other option is to move McCaw to 6, and start Cane at 7.

Thought PoM was great when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

I think he is athletic but too small for an international 6. He is fantastic in open rugby (eg a free-flowing S15 game in dry conditions), but just doesn't cut the mustard internationally in tight games like yesterday. He has also been tried at 7, but isn't great either. Definitely NZ's weakest position at present, in the absence of Kaino (injured, but heading off to Japan anyway). The jury is still out on Vito, and it is a pity he was injured, it was the perfect game to test his mettle. I think Liam Messam deserves another shot, and the coaches did initially select a guy called Brad Shields who I have barely seen play, but was apparently very good at the under 20s last year. The other option is to move McCaw to 6, and start Cane at 7.

Yeah though Thomson's stats have him at 6'5" and 112kg, the former i'd believe but 112kg he simply is not, far from it actually, 100kg maximum IMO. I have seen McCaw at 8 a few times for the Crusaders this year so i wonder would there be anything to be said for a 6.Read 7.Cane 8.McCaw lineup.

Plus i recall Thomson lying in a heap after a tackle or breakdown on more than one occasion this morning too.

Thought PoM was great when he came on.

He and Locky complimented each other very well with the switch. Would like to see it again next week. Kidney should have a a word in the ear of Locky and tell him to hit everything in black for 60mins

He and Locky complimented each other very well with the switch. Would like to see it again next week. Kidney should have a a word in the ear of Locky and tell him to hit everything in black for 60mins

Locky was great, and I'm not making a case of PoM starting, what Locky did was simple abrasive and didn't allow NZ settle for a moment. There's definitely a case for Reddan/PoM/Doc coming on in the last 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Darcy and heaslip to miss last test with calf And finger injuries.

Wallace flying out.

Time to see who else we have at eight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

durkadurka wrote: »
    Darcy and heaslip to miss last test with calf And finger injuries.

Wallace flying out.

Time to see who else we have at eight.

Chris Henry to 7, Sean O'Brien to 8, McLoughlin/POM at 6. Job done. McCarthy in reserve if anyone else goes down. Henry has played at 8 plenty of times as well.

Not sure why Wallace is coming out; McFadden at 12 with Earls/Zebo on the wing, BOD at 13, Cave on the bench. What's the problem? Particularly since Kidney must be rubbing his hands at having the opportunity to see his O'Gara-Sexton combo again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Chris Henry to 7, Sean O'Brien to 8, McLoughlin/POM at 6. Job done. McCarthy in reserve if anyone else goes down. Henry has played at 8 plenty of times as well.

Not sure why Wallace is coming out; McFadden at 12 with Earls/Zebo on the wing, BOD at 13, Cave on the bench. What's the problem? Particularly since Kidney must be rubbing his hands at having the opportunity to see his O'Gara-Sexton combo again.

Reckon POM will go 8, SOB has been way too good at 7 for kidney to move him now. Henry as a good impact sub.
    It's actually a blessing heaslip is injured for the game, he has played way too much rugby and needs the rest, plus we need to look at another 8 for back up. He has been brilliant the last 2 tests, probably best we have seen him in the last 2 years

If Earls is fit he will play centre no question

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

Is it just my Capricornian pessimism kicking or am l right in feeling that we might have missed our best (only?) chance of winning a game on this tour yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

d-gal wrote: »
    If Earls is fit he will play centre no question

This is probably correct but it would be a huge mistake. We get ripped to shreds with a centre partnership of Earls-O'Driscoll, then we're a lot more secure with D'Arcy-BOD, logic would dictate that McFadden is a better natural replacement for D'Arcy and we should go with that (or just play Wallace at 12).

Note; I'm not blaming Earls for the defensive disaster last week, just that:
    11. Earls
    12. McFadden/Wallace
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Trimble
    is a lot more solid than
    11. Trimble
    12. Earls
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. McFadden

This is probably correct but it would be a huge mistake. We get ripped to shreds with a centre partnership of Earls-O'Driscoll, then we're a lot more secure with D'Arcy-BOD, logic would dictate that McFadden is a better natural replacement for D'Arcy and we should go with that (or just play Wallace at 12).

Note; I'm not blaming Earls for the defensive disaster last week, just that:
    11. Earls
    12. McFadden/Wallace
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Trimble
    is a lot more solid than
    11. Trimble
    12. Earls
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. McFadden

I see earls as a long term replacement for BOD so think that's why he will start alongside him from now on. I don't rate McFadden internationally (he will do a job but his distribution is poor), and Wallace isn't going to be around for the next WC. Earls has been showing more and more in the last 6months so playing him against the best will only do him good.
    Wish we had gilroy out there, Trimble and McFadden on the wings is just crazy, especially with so many good up and coming wingers sitting at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

McFadden is much dodgier in defense than Earls. Earls is our best option and I'd imagine he'll play.

If he's half-fit then maybe they'll look at something else. I'd like to see Cave/O'Driscoll or Wallace/O'Driscoll though to be honest.

Wallace will slot in at 12 alongside BoD, that's the way I see it. If he starts the o'Gara/Sexton 10/12 we will get hockyed. It worked last time because NZ didn't expect it and so didn't send all their traffic down o'Gara's channel which they surely would do next time it happens.
    But I do think what Ireland get out of this will be mainly down to forward effort, if we front up again and don't leave holes in the midfield, we'll be pushing them over the sideline all day ^ ^.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It would be harsh on Cave as he deserves a chance, but unless he is willing/able to play 12 I think our best option is Wallace/BOD. BOD is the best option at 13 in defence and I think he need to play there against this AB team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

O'Brien to 8 so. Unless. Unless. No. Surely not. He won't pick POM at 8 will he? Please god no!!!.

Seriously though

6. McLaughlin
    7. Henry / O'Mahony
    8. O'Brien

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    O'Brien to 8 so. Unless. Unless. No. Surely not. He won't pick POM at 8 will he? Please god no!!!.

Seriously though

6. McLaughlin
    7. Henry / O'Mahony
    8. O'Brien

Being honest anytime anytime I have seen POM play at 8 he has done very well. I wouldn't put SOB in at 8 purely coz he is playing so well at 7. Don't think POM is the answer as back up at 8 but we don't have much options

Advertisement