Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Do you remember Paddy Wallace in the HC Final playing differently.

It was a while ago, but to my memory Wallace was anonymous in the Final, and dominated through the middle defensivly.

Leinster were on fire, but he still played shíte.

Im open to correction.

Wallace and Cave tested Leinster extremely well in the first 20 minutes, showing great attacking prowess. They cut us open more than once with good lines and hands.

They also were steadfast in defence. Wallace was definitely in Ulster's top 3 players on the day, probably there thereabouts for each knockout game previous too. Which is especially impressive considering that Ulster played a forward-dominated game in 3/4 of their previous games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

To be fair DD, you can't judge a player based on that one game you saw him in, worse still you've judged him incorrectly.

I've seen him play a fair bit and this season he's been very good, he was one of Ulster's best players that day. Seeing the lines he was running, it was testament to Leinster's superior defence that he didn't do better. Against most teams on the form he was showing he would have ripped them a new one. He seems to have thrived with Pienaar on the field.

I've been a critic of him in the past but I think he can do a job for Ireland and see no reason for him not to start (except fitness/jetlag).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I thought Paddy Wallace was Ulsters best player in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Healy, Best, Ross, Tuohy, Ryan, McLaughlin, SOB, POM;
    Reddan, Sexton, Zebo, Earls, BOD, McFadden, Kearney

Bench: Cronin, Loughney, DOC, Henry, Murray, ROG, Cave

Given how we performed last week, it's only right to go for it this weekend. Zebo over Trimble is a tough call.

hardly the team already?

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    hardly the team already?

That's what I would pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Given how we performed last week, it's only right to go for it this weekend. Zebo over Trimble is a tough call.

Pack, good.

Halfbacks, good.

Centres, disaster unless BOD lines up at 13 in defence.

Back 3, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd have your team Alan but not that back three. Dunno why you're dropping Trimble tbh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wallace will surely be in the 22 if he's flying out. I'd have him straight in at 12. Don't think the BOD/Earls midfield worked at all.

I'd have your team Alan but not that back three. Dunno why you're dropping Trimble tbh!
    I'd just like to add the proviso that I thought he had started Wallace for some reason.

Actually I wonder if Wallace plays 12 will Earls play 11? Earls and Trimble on the wings might actually resemble our full test side!

• Advertisement

I'd have Thomonds team but I'd shove Earls out to the wing for Wallace and give Zebo another shot

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

I'd go with:

Healy, Best, Ross
    Tuohy, Ryan
    McLaughlin, POM, SOB
    Reddan, Sexton
    Earls, Wallace/McFadden, BOD, Trimble, Kearney

Bench: Cronin, Loughney, DOC, Henry, Murray, ROG, Wallace/McFadden

Wallace might have the edge on Ferg at 12, but with him coming into the squad so late, might be better used as cover. Either starting at 12 with the other on the bench would be fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

fitz wrote: »
    I'd go with:

Healy, Best, Ross
    Tuohy, Ryan
    McLaughlin, POM, SOB
    Reddan, Sexton
    Earls, Wallace/McFadden, BOD, Trimble, Kearney

Bench: Cronin, Loughney, DOC, Henry, Murray, ROG, Wallace/McFadden

Wallace might have the edge on Ferg at 12, but with him coming into the squad so late, might be better used as cover. Either starting at 12 with the other on the bench would be fine with me.

i'd agree with this team also, but realistically would expect DK to go with the above with Murray at 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

bamboozle wrote: »
    i'd agree with this team also, but realistically would expect DK to go with the above with Murray at 9.

Wouldn't be the end of the world, if he can perform like he did on Saturday.
    I'm more worried that a fit Earls will be put at 13 again.
    The BOD/Earls thing didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

fitz wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the end of the world, if he can perform like he did on Saturday.
    I'm more worried that a fit Earls will be put at 13 again.
    The BOD/Earls thing didn't work.

agreed, BOD marshalling of the 13 channel last week was excellent, this channel leaked trys the previous week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Is there any chance of Darcy starting? Someone at work said there may be.

Is there any chance of Darcy starting? Someone at work said there may be.

He's flown home I think, so doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

liammur wrote: »
    Well after watching that soccer, completely outclassed, let's hope for better from the rugby, and with 10 leinster players in, there really can be no excuses.

This is my favourite post from last friday before the game;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

danthefan wrote: »
    Pack, good.

Halfbacks, good.

Centres, disaster unless BOD lines up at 13 in defence.

Back 3, meh.
    I dont think its disasterous, the only thing to conclude really is 1st game drift defence did not work 2nd game blitz defence caused nz problems and worked overall well

• Advertisement

I think a lot of the problem with the first test was the defensive system rather than the defense of Earls

Wouldn't be upset in the least to see BOD Earls in midfield again if we employ the same system because it looked a threatening one in attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

geotrig wrote: »
    I dont think its disasterous, the only thing to conclude really is 1st game drift defence did not work 2nd game blitz defence caused nz problems and worked overall well

Communication played a large part. The 10, 12, 13 axis knowing each other inside out is a big advantage. Earls and BOD have played together plenty of times but you simply can't replace the understanding himself and Darce have together in a matter of games. They know exactly how to defend as a unit and can read each other. So many line breaks came in the first test due to a lack of talking on the pitch and, as a result, we looked massively disjointed.

Wallace and BOD might not have the record that Darce and BOD do, but they've played on teams together for Ireland since they were 19 and have a good understanding that has worked playing against NZ in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I like Touhy as a player but it seemed to me that the Irish scrum functioned far better with DOC on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

stephen_n wrote: »
    I like Touhy as a player but it seemed to me that the Irish scrum functioned far better with DOC on the field.

DOC came on just after Ben Franks came on for Owen Franks

Ya I'd give Tuohy another run but I'd really like him to put in some sort of a performance this time. I know he's been decent in the line-out but apart from that he hasn't shown much of his Ulster form

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I read somewhere that we wouldnt play the abs again for twelve years because of IRB rotating tours. Surely this is an exageration? Like who do the Irb expect us to play between now and then...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'm sure at some point we will play the All Blacks during the Autumn Internationals and perhaps the World Cups in the meantime. We won't be touring New Zealand again for 12 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

errlloyd wrote: »
    I read somewhere that we wouldnt play the abs again for twelve years because of IRB rotating tours. Surely this is an exageration? Like who do the Irb expect us to play between now and then...
    Go back a few pages, our schedule for the next 12 year is on this thread somewhere. We may still play NZ in the Autumn though.

errlloyd wrote: »
    We won't be touring New Zealand between now and the end of the current schedule. We could well play them in the Aviva.

We are touring Argentina, South Africa and Australia. Argentina and South Africa twice I think. So plenty of quality opposition. The other years don't have full tours.

• Advertisement

We'll beat them in the next World cup final in 3 years anyway

Advertisement