Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tour to New Zealand 2012 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Swiwi wrote: »
    Is that supposed to be a Kiwi accent? Looks more Aussie to me ;)

It's meant to be an accent straight out of Limerick citaaaay.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

He went straight to Japan after RWC and then returned to S15 - hasn't had a decent break, and his form with the Blues was fairly average as a result. Expect he will be back for 4N, but SBW has a chance this week to make the jersey his own...which I can't say he has done in the first 2 tests.

Yeah I've never really seen why SBW has been hyped up so much, haven't seen it myself. I've always considered Nonu to be a better player.

How highly is he rated in NZ?

For the record, I do think he's good, just not as good as he's made out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Teferi wrote: »
    It's meant to be an accent straight out of Limerick citaaaay.

Got that wrong, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Is that supposed to be a Kiwi accent? Looks more Aussie to me ;)

Ludgend.

There. :D

Yeah I've never really seen why SBW has been hyped up so much, haven't seen it myself. I've always considered Nonu to be a better player.

How highly is he rated in NZ?

For the record, I do think he's good, just not as good as he's made out to be.

He has genuinely had a fantastic season with the Chiefs so his rating has gone up quite a bit. I think he does have what it takes to make it, but he needs to commit it rugby long-term. One week it's boxing, the next week it's back to league, the next week it's Japan etc. He has form when it comes to breaking a contract...

• Advertisement

GerM wrote: »
    Ludgend.

There. :D

Still looks Aussie to me ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

SBW had two touches in their try on Saturday both I think were instrumental in them getting the try. The first he did a nice off load in the tackle to Whitelock and that gave them some nice momentum, the second was he skinned BOD and created the break in defence for Smith to capitalize on.

His stats aren't bad either. From ESPN of course!

scaled.php?server=267&filename=sbw.png&res=landing

Certainly if I was Hensen I'd be giving him another run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Is Carter injured or is it just rotation?

conf101 wrote: »
    Is Carter injured or is it just rotation?

Injured :(

After last week, it would be foolish to rotate Carter out of the team

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Rotated I'd say. Seemingly Cruden has been doing very well at The Chiefs this season and Barrett has also been doing very well with The Hurricanes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Carter was injured in training according to NZ Herald. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10814423

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

1. Tony Woodcock (85)
    2. Andrew Hore (64)
    3. Owen Franks (33)
    4. Luke Romano *
    5. Samuel Whitelock (27)
    6. Liam Messam (9)
    7. Sam Cane (1)
    8. Richie McCaw - captain (105)
    9. Aaron Smith (2)
    10. Aaron Cruden (11)
    11. Hosea Gear (8)
    12. Sonny Bill Williams (16)
    13. Conrad Smith (57)
    14. Ben Smith (4)
    15. Israel Dagg (14)

Reserves:
    16. Keven Mealamu (92)
    17. Ben Franks (17)
    18. Brodie Retallick (2)
    19. Adam Thomson (26)
    20. Piri Weepu (58)
    21. Beauden Barrett *
    22. Tamati Ellison (1)

Assuming our scrum holds without Read's power at the back I think this team is going to rip holes in the Irish defence.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I can't see our defense being ripped apart but I can see a relatively comfortable 15 point win for NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

Very strong NZ team. Looking to see what Sam Cane will be like. Wonder if Richie McCaw is slowly on the way out or merely a slight dip in form.

Regardless, Ireland have stated they will give it everything against an All Black side who will be more prepared this time than last week. After watching the Euro's all I can say is come on Ireland, give us something special!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Tox56 wrote: »
    I can't see our defense being ripped apart but I can see a relatively comfortable 15 point win for NZ

We should have an advantage over them up front. Hopefully we'll take them.

This team is a positive move, I could see 14 of this squad being in the world cup squad in 2015. The blooding into test rugby has begun.

Klunk_NZ wrote: »
    This team is a positive move, I could see 14 of this squad being in the world cup squad in 2015. The blooding into test rugby has begun.

wonder when we have a go of something like that? late 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

There's a weakness in Cruden. He's very small like Smith at 9. We need to exploit that. Has to be an 80 minute performance from Ireland. We had too many try scoring chances last week that weren't taken. McCaw is no vintage 8 but then again we don't have Heaslip (brilliant last Sat).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

wonder when we have a go of something like that? late 2013?

To be fair this has been a progressive tour so far in terms of selection. Just small things like McLaughlin coming in for POM, there is almost no precedent for rotation like that in the last few seasons. Zebo getting a game. Touhy getting games. Ryan getting games. A lot of the team picks itself but the few spots up for contention have gone to the younger guys.

Which means DOC and ROG will start on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

We'll never have a better opportunity to beat the Kiwis. They are missing their two best players, in Carter and Read.

yep but we are missing POC, Ferris, Jamie, Bowe, D'arcy, Bloody Poite is the ref and we are playing the Kiwi's at home so it doesn't really balance out.

• Advertisement

duckysauce wrote: »
    yep but we are missing POC, Ferris, Jamie, Bowe, D'arcy, Bloody Poite is the ref and we are playing the Kiwi's at home so it doesn't really balance out.
    Carter and Read> all of those players collective skill combined.
    Whinge about the ref after the game thanks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Cruden is no Carter but he's no mug. He has been playing excellently in the S15 and this is the ideal game to play him in his home stadium where he has settled so well. Will have to watch out for him prodding the ball in behind our wingers with Gear rushing onwards. Trimble, McFadden and Zebo all have a tendency to drift up. He has been linking up with SBW very well also.

Messam has been in good form and will give them a good deal more physicality which they've been missing. Himself and Cane are also in front of their home crowds and will be looking to put down a marker. Romano is a solid, beefy unit up front but I'm not massively worried about him. I think we can get the edge in the front five in this one. Healy is a man possessed at the moment as is Best. If Ross can keep his performance up defensively and at the set piece, I think we've the better of them.

The back row is a different matter. Heaslip is a massive loss. I've not been as impressed with him for two matches in a row in quite some time. His work rate is off the chart again, back where it was. His tackling, rucking and leadership have been top notch and he'll be badly missed. A comination of POM, McLaughlin and SOB looks likely but I'd have concerns that they can match the NZ unit as a trio at the breakdown.

Hate to say it but NZ will be stung by last week and won't like the praise that Ireland have been getting. A few lads will look to put down a marker. Can see them spluttering home with their bench playing a part by about 10 points. Pray that I'm wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Really? Wow.

arrogance is great :rolleyes:

I whinge about Poite all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

agreed. > = less than i think

agreed. > = less than i think

forgot it turns around in the southern hemisphere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Biggest lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭cityman 18

duckysauce wrote: »
    arrogance is great :rolleyes:

I whinge about Poite all the time.

Well he did win a world cup with New Zealand in fairness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Yeah i mean its not as if Ferris is the best blindside in the world at the moment or anything... Or that POC has been a top 4 lock for the past 5 years... Or Heaslip has been dominating New Zealand at the breakdown all series long...

And as for Reid, I'd have Parisse, Harinorduquay and on the form of the last two games Heaslip all ahead of him.

• Advertisement

cityman 18 wrote: »
    Well he did win a world cup with New Zealand in fairness :D

Think Craig Joubert did that

Advertisement