Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find a spirit measure?

Options
  • 11-04-2012 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Just trying to find a spirit measure (standard 25ml) and am having trouble finding one without a cocktail mixer attached. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Confab wrote: »
    Just trying to find a spirit measure (standard 25ml) and am having trouble finding one without a cocktail mixer attached. Any ideas?

A standard pub measure is 35.5ml. If you want the little steel ones most pubs have you can get them from Sweeny O Rourkes on Pearse St

http://www.sweeneyorourke.com/ebstore/so/product.asp?p_part_code=UST35

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Hmm, both 25 and 35 are standard according to wikipedia. It must be a UK thing of something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_spirits_measure

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

35ml one is the standard for Ireland. The smaller one is the UK alright. I have one at home (which I use, otherwise I'd give it to you), though I have no idea where I got it from.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can always just use a small glass, or an egg cup, its not like you need legally calibrated stuff at home. Some people seem to think all spirit caps are a standardised size, you see people spilling stuff all over the place trying to fill these fiddly little caps, and then have spirits running down the sides of the bottle.

35.5ml of cold water will weigh approx 35.5g. So if you have a small glass you can stick it on a scales and pour in water till it reads 35.5g and mark or just remember the level. A champagne glass will be narrower so might be easier to read off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

rubadub wrote: »
    35.5ml of cold water will weigh approx 35.5g. So if you have a small glass you can stick it on a scales and pour in water till it reads 35.5g and mark or just remember the level. A champagne glass will be narrower so might be easier to read off.

Thanks. Dunno how I forgot that!

Confab wrote: »
    Thanks. Dunno how I forgot that!

It's why I love the metric system so much.

Dear Metric System,

I love you.

Khannie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Dear Khannie,

1 imperial fluid ounce of water weighs 1 imperial ounce.

With best wishes for both you and your French whore,

Your most humble servant,

The Imperial System (KC, MBE, [Ret.])

Dear Imperial System,

While your fluid ounce may weigh an ounce indeed, attempting any kind of calculation with your system is as tasty a dogs toe.

The days of measuring things in your crazy pounds and ounces are over. When the masses gained the ability to multiply you lost the war with your wonky, wonky system.

My French whore is superb in the sack (of spuds, naturally), on the roads, and on my weighing scales. Thanks for asking. She also gives great head (on my pint of course).

Sincerely,

Khannie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Dear Khannie,

It is with great regret and deepest sympathy that I learn of the shortcomings in your arithmetical education.

Rest assured that in my day you would have had little difficulty converting drams to hundredweight, and all points between, and would have the torn and pitted buttocks to stand testament to the quality of an imperial education.

We live, alas, in softer times.

However, I am delighted to hear your mistress adheres to an imperial measure of beer. Perhaps there's hope for you both yet.

Sincerely,

I.S.

• Advertisement

Imperial is dead. Vive l'Empereur!

Turns out I was drinking doubles every time. Never good. A single measure looks tiny now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A single is small though, its only about the same alcohol as a half pint of beer.

rubadub wrote: »
    A single is small though, its only about the same alcohol as a half pint of beer.

That's about right. Seems like a lot more for some reason.

I saw this....and thought of this thread.....New curriculum......

science.png

Advertisement