Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people never honest...?

• 11-04-2012 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Why are people never honest about the amount of study they do?
    It is really annoying hearing people moaning and crying about how they are going to fail a test when in actual fact they studied all night for it!!
    Grrr...
    It just makes me so angry!
    Is it just me who experiences this? :P
    As a side note how many hours are you putting in for the leaving cert?
    Thanks..
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Josh93

Yes! All the time! I've also seen people do the opposite - say they were studying all night and then fail miserably!

Personally, when it comes to study time I'm doing what I can - I got 480 in the mocks and that's more than what I need, so I'm trying to stop complacency but I have to admit I'm not studying a lot this week. Last week I put in 6-7 hour days, but this week I'm having Irish classes in school in preparation for the oral so really I'm down to about 2-3 hours per day this week :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Izymunz wrote: »

Seventeen, give or take. I'm only in 5th year now though, gonna have to crank it up next year obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I just do what I need, I dont time myself. But in all honesty I always feel like I might fail - I usually tend to not know things but they dont come up anyway so its all good :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

That fifth year thing has to be some cruel joke, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

That fifth year thing has to be some cruel joke, right?
    No she really studies 17 minutes.

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    No she really studies 17 minutes.
    I wish I could understand sarcasm... :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Study what you think you need to study yourself, and don't bother with anybody else. A bit of healthy competition can be good in some domains, but not when it comes near the LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

It's not cool to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

dambarude wrote: »
    Study what you think you need to study yourself, and don't bother with anybody else. A bit of healthy competition can be good in some domains, but not when it comes near the LC.
    When it comes to academic competition, let the other person's grades do the talkin', not them telling you they did 100 hours last night.

In my Leaving Cert, there was always a kinda unspoken academic competitiveness with some other people in my class, but nothing serious - we'd all help each other out. I quite enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I never want to hear the word 'study' again in my life,once I get this LC over with. The feeling just walking out of the last exam must be one of the world's best. Seriously can't for it all to be over - the stress is just going to lift like a curtain... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I wish I could understand sarcasm... :(

Sheldon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Why are people never honest...?

It is really annoying hearing people moaning and crying about how they are going to fail a test when in actual fact they studied all night for it!!
    Grrr...
    Thanks..

Well, this is one of the most misleading titles to a thread I've seen in a long time, perhaps you'd care to take the lead on this 'dishonesty' dilemma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Grrr...
    Thanks..

I actually don't understand why this irritates you? What difference does it make how much/little other people study? All that matters is that you do the study you need to do to achieve what you want. Some people after sitting a test can be completely unaware as to how they have done in that said test. I know after doing my Business & Economics mock I was sure I had scraped B3's maybe C1's. Results came back and I got an A1 (94) and an A2 (87). That's why some people in my opinion, 'moan and cry about failing a test'. Some people worry. The Leaving Cert. can be a source of extreme worry for some people. I know I studied for my Economics Mock from 5.00-9.00 the night before, woke up at 4am and studied until 9.55am. I got an A2. When I came into School that morning, my Friends asked me was I ok because I looked very nervous, I was convinced I would fail.

Everyone's different, I would imagine some people exaggerate, that's life, deal with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If I am literate, motivated, have mostly paid attention in class and kept up with my homeworks and hear someone talking about 'studying' six hours a day, then quite honestly I could say that compared to them, I am doing 'nothing'.

It's not lying, it's more a perception of what I am doing, or not doing, compared to others.

I sincerely doubt anyone is doing 6 hours of productive study a day either, it's just not possible to maintain concentration that long after a day at school.

I actually don't understand why this irritates you? What difference does it make how much/little other people study? All that matters is that you do the study you need to do to achieve what you want. Some people after sitting a test can be completely unaware as to how they have done in that said test. I know after doing my Business & Economics mock I was sure I had scraped B3's maybe C1's. Results came back and I got an A1 (94) and an A2 (87). That's why some people in my opinion, 'moan and cry about failing a test'. Some people worry. The Leaving Cert. can be a source of extreme worry for some people. I know I studied for my Business Mock from 5.00-9.00 the night before, woke up at 4am and studied until 9.55am. I got an A2. When I came into School that morning, my Friends asked me was I ok because I looked very nervous, I was convinced I would fail.

Everyone's different, I would imagine some people exaggerate, that's life, deal with it.

The exact same thing happened to me! Lol (I mean with the economics and business) an A1 and an A2 with roughly the same amount as you!
    I am "dealing with it". I would just prefer if people were honest about the amount of study they do. For example a person I know always moans about not having the will to study and that she is going to fail ...etc. but I got talking to her parents and they were so worried about her because they thought she was studying too much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

And if the same person was going on about how they were definitely going to do well because of all the study they did, people would be calling them cocky.
    Don't get bogged down in other people's business, it's not going to affect your own grades.

Namlub wrote: »
    And if the same person was going on about how they were definitely going to do well because of all the study they did, people would be calling them cocky.
    Don't get bogged down in other people's business, it's not going to affect your own grades.

That is not what I mean!
    I just want the person beside me to be honest in the amount of work they do.

Also, with regards to the person in my example, I do not want a rant about the amount of study they did! I would just prefer if people did not cry about how they are "going to fail" when they are clearly not going to!!
    That isn't too much to ask is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

That is not what I mean!
    I just want the person beside me to be honest in the amount of work they do.

Also, with regards to the person in my example, I do not want a rant about the amount of study they did! I would just prefer if people did not cry about how they are "going to fail" when they are clearly not going to!!
    That isn't too much to ask is it?

Why do you care?

End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I get where the OP is coming from. It's easy to say to just mind your own business, but in my experience it's not that easy when you're actually in school. For example, I have one friend who constantly worries about tests even though she's fecking brilliant. If she doesn't come out of the exam thinking she got an A1, she'll say "Oh that was horrible, I did so badly", even if she ended up still doing really well. I can be like that too, it is difficult to judge how you did sometimes. But this friend constantly does this, for every test, saying "Oh I know nothing it'll be a disaster!" and then coming out with an A1 anyway. It can get a bit tiresome listening to her all the time (and I can't exactly just ignore her when she's talking to me directly :P), and she's not the only one I know that does it either. I don't let it affect my own study or my own grades, but it is definitely irritating after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I lie because it throws the competition off, increasing their chances of failure, lulling them into a sense of comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

reznov wrote: »
    I lie because it throws the competition off, increasing their chances of failure, lulling them into a sense of comfort.

troll-i-lied-light.png

leaveiton wrote: »
    I get where the OP is coming from. It's easy to say to just mind your own business, but in my experience it's not that easy when you're actually in school. For example, I have one friend who constantly worries about tests even though she's fecking brilliant. If she doesn't come out of the exam thinking she got an A1, she'll say "Oh that was horrible, I did so badly", even if she ended up still doing really well. I can be like that too, it is difficult to judge how you did sometimes. But this friend constantly does this, for every test, saying "Oh I know nothing it'll be a disaster!" and then coming out with an A1 anyway. It can get a bit tiresome listening to her all the time (and I can't exactly just ignore her when she's talking to me directly :P), and she's not the only one I know that does it either. I don't let it affect my own study or my own grades, but it is definitely irritating after a while.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!
    That is exactly my problem!

Some people on boards are really aggressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, I understand ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Ha, they won't thank you for that!

I get where you're coming from to a certain extent. People do say they didn't do a tap of study and that they're going to fail and then they come out with an A. Sometimes it is a complete fluke other times what they said was a blatant lie- it's just something you have to get used to. You will find that with LC candidates/ students- that competition will always exist. And it can be annoying, but at the end of the day it's your results that count. Don't listen to other people's lies just put your head down and worry about your own work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Those who don't do a tap of study are the ones who'll be obtaining 625 in the LC, 300 in the HPAT, and of course a 500k per annul job. Don't be mislead by your friends who cram for exams. You'll be laughing eventually. Mercilessly laughing at their black, baggy eyes, the facial expression of a miner who's lungs are sooty. Fact is, whether you get 625 in the LC or not was engraved into your soul the second you were delivered in that hospital ward. The government continually tells fables of exam reform and how the LC is nothing more but an insignificant regurgitation session, but the SEC possesses voodoo magic beyond any mortal's comprehension. Their vile tactics have maintained a steady bell curve for decades.

My comrade, quit studying today.
    This is not a conspiracy theory.

:O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

reznov wrote: »
    Those who don't do a tap of study are the ones who'll be obtaining 625 in the LC, 300 in the HPAT, and of course a 500k per annul job. Don't be mislead by your friends who cram for exams. You'll be laughing eventually. Mercilessly laughing at their black, baggy eyes, the facial expression of a miner who's lungs are sooty. Fact is, whether you get 625 in the LC or not was engraved into your soul the second you were delivered in that hospital ward. The government continually tells fables of exam reform and how the LC is nothing more but an insignificant regurgitation session, but the SEC possesses voodoo magic beyond any mortal's comprehension. Their vile tactics have maintained a steady bell curve for decades.

My comrade, quit studying today.
    This is not a conspiracy theory.

I love this guy.

David1994 wrote: »
    I love this guy.

I am glad that you do!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Though OP I only read this thread now and I know how you feel with people going on and on about how they did TERRIBLE and then they get the highest on the class as Usual. It just doesnt help with anything tbh :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

What annoys me is when you get good grades/marks in your exams and people instantly think you are "bateing the books", and you only did a bit of study and do well.
    It's not about the amount of study you do, it's your capacity to retain it. I don't study as much as people think, my parents think I'm doing too much and I think I'm only working at about 50% activity level(good aul flexible budgeting) but I have a good memory (that's what I think is the reason!). i don't do 3 or 4 hours a day 7 days a week!I do study before a test but what is more annoying to me are people who are annoyed when you tell them you're not studying as much as they think and they don't believe you.
    Can you not accept that it's not about the amount of study you do, it's your overall work ethic and how you worked over the two years. Study ain't everything mes potes.

Advertisement