Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noisy Power Steering?

• 11-04-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

What do ye make of this, a prev perfect 2000 Honda Accord was parked up for 3-4 weeks, started it today and steering was heavy and very noisy, making a mmmmm machinery type noise which escalates at full lock.

Power steering fluid was very slightly below min line on reservoir, topping up doesn't seem to have helped.

Hoping ye car Experts on here have some good advice!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I had this happen to me recently too. If you top up the fluid you should generally turn the steering from lock to lock a few times to expel any air that may have got in. Certainly worked for me and the noise disappeared.
    Might be worth a try. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

As above, you have to bleed the system if it ran low, although you may already have caused damage to the pump is the fluid has been low for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I have been having this problem on and off for 3 months now, it's friction im guessing from the power steering fluid not being enough.

I replaced my power steering fluid pump twice and still im pissing fluid all over my tarmac, will be trying to get it fixed again this week, if it's not that part im guessing my steering rack is either spent or ruptured, pain in the ass as im gonna be selling or breaking the car soon depending on outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    I have been having this problem on and off for 3 months now, it's friction im guessing from the power steering fluid not being enough.

I replaced my power steering fluid pump twice and still im pissing fluid all over my tarmac, will be trying to get it fixed again this week, if it's not that part im guessing my steering rack is either spent or ruptured, pain in the ass as im gonna be selling or breaking the car soon depending on outcome.

The place where the leak is coming from should be obvious. If you've fitted a new pump then one of the pipes or couplings is most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

As above, you have to bleed the system is it ran low, although you may already have caused damage to the pump is the fluid has been low for a while.

Thanks folks, will try again tomorrow - only thing I can think off is cap was back on reservoir when i retried it should I have left it off to allow air bleed?

What would I expect to pay (ballpark) to get someone to fit a pump from a breakers?

Thanks!

PS Jimbob - What did you pay for the pump replacement? May decide the future of this car!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

The place where the leak is coming from should be obvious. If you've fitted a new pump then one of the pipes or couplings is most likely.

I didn't replace it personally but i would have a go if i had a trench, i pointed out for the guy to check the hoses when i got him to put in the second part, 1st one was a refurb 2nd was brand new (100 euros or so), pretty bummed after spending all that money that im still pissing fluid.

Advertisement