Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird Lion thingy - how do I kill it

• 11-04-2012 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm new to Lion on a new machine.

Something weird I've noticed that annoys me.

When I try to hide a window with cmd-H Lion does no always obey as SL did.

Basically if I have only one window open and I want to see the desktop applications refuse to hide and I have to minimise them instead (which I dislike).

Whats this about ?
    How do I kill it and make it like SL where I can hide apps whenever I want ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, I've encountered this, but only accidentally. It won't hide the last application for some reason. I dunno, it's probably a bug.

Why not just use Expose (F11) instead? Or assign the Finder/desktop to a specific Space and switch over to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

F11 is decrease volume on my MBP ?!

And I thought Lion didn't have spaces ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

F11 is decrease volume on my MBP ?!

And I thought Lion didn't have spaces ?

f11 is "fn f11".

Lion has some nonsense masquerading as spaces. The linear desktops at the top when you switch "spaces". This is linear and does not wrap around and is fairly usage for navigation among many desktops.

oh that fn f11 is quite neat.

Yeah I ahven't figured out how to make more 'spaces' yet - I just have the main screen and one with a few widgets at the top (I've never bothered with widgets so that page is meaningless to me)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

To create a new Space: move your cursor over to the right in Mission Control and a plus sign will appear.

MacWorld had a good video a while ago for how to use Mission Control:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1166220/working_with_mission_control.html

• Advertisement

:eek:

Had no idea you could do that - never noticed that little plus option before - its well hidden eh ?

Do is space have its own desktop files - or all are the same ?

I do like launchpad I must say

Edit: found this off of your link:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1161357/how_to_make_lion_more_like_snow_leopard.html#lsrc.mod_rel

Few nice tips there! - path bar in finder - i was missing that for one!

Do is space have its own desktop files - or all are the same ?

No, they are all the same.

I don't use the Desktop anyway. It's just a wallpaper to me.

Ok here's a question

In SL I quite liked to use 3 fingers to swipe up or down to bring you to top of a long webpage in firefox or list of emails in thunderbird for example. That gone now with 3 fingers being used for mission control.

It there any replacement gesture for moving to the top or bottom of a window ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

cmd-up arrow might work (cmd-down to go down too)

cmd-up arrow might work (cmd-down to go down too)

Yeah cheers it does - thou I miss the gesture - it was handy. I used it alot more than I will ever be using Mission Control gestures!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I just use command-up/down. Or if that doesn't work: fn-left/right.

Ok so another Lion thing I'd like to stop.

When you open a program it opens the last file you used previously. This is not useful to me at all and annoys me.

Anyway to stop this behaviour ?

System Preferences > General > Restore windows when opening and re-opening apps - uncheck it.

Thanks Prof

Advertisement