Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Screen Damaged

• 11-04-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Tapped my screen against the door and all of a sudden my computer is ****ed. Screen beyond repair. Any hope for me. Would I just need to replace the screen?
    Snapshot_1.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Any help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I cant see anything wrong with it, ???

Snapshot_3.jpeg

New image might make the problem more clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I'm not sure what the screenshot is meant to convey, but connecting the laptop to an external monitor / projector / hdmi TV is usually the quickest way to assess screen damage, assuming that all you are seeing is a black or cracked/distorted screen.
    If the external screen works this would at least allow you access to your files in the meantime.

There are a number of places that will replace the screen lcd for you.

--edit
    You'll need to use a camera to take an external picture of the screen, if you want to show us the damage. But looks like the laptop is fine, aside from the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What exactly is wrong with the screen?

Does it look like this?
    laptop-screen-repair-LCD-MAC-PC-netbook-01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I must be mad!!! I cant see anything wrong!!! Im using a i pad, maybe im missing something

Wow so i just logged onto my desktop and the screenshots show no screen damage.... that is weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

ressem wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the screenshot is meant to convey, but connecting the laptop to an external monitor / projector / hdmi TV is usually the quickest way to assess screen damage, assuming that all you are seeing is a black or cracked/distorted screen.
    If the external screen works this would at least allow you access to your files in the meantime.

There are a number of places that will replace the screen lcd for you.

My laptop screen has just gone too. What cable would I need to connect to TV or monitor?
    Is it the round black outlet or the blue square connection.

Mine looks like Duffy's picture. Black and grey distorted picture. Not going to get it repaired as its an old laptop but would like to hook up external HD to get files off

Thanks

Im not sure how best to describe the damage...
    Its just like for instance this white chat box im typing in is pink

Slunk wrote: »
    My laptop screen has just gone too. What cable would I need to connect to TV or monitor?
    Is it the round black outlet or the blue square connection.

Thanks

For a TV, if it's a flatscreen, then a HDMI cable.

For a monitor, a VGA cable which has a blue head on it, usually (Sometimes black)

• Advertisement

Shane St. wrote: »

So the colours are like they're inverted / warped rather than any actual cracks on the screen?

Thanks. Can you get VGA, small blue to HDMI as the laptop is pretty old. Doesn't have HDMI port.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    So the colours are like they're inverted / warped rather than any actual cracks on the screen?

theres little green dots everywhere. its like its out of focus aswell images arent defined

Slunk wrote: »
    Thanks. Can you get VGA, small blue to HDMI as the laptop is pretty old. Doesn't have HDMI port.

Not really, not without a converter. There's cables on the likes of Ebay that sell them but they're gimmicks, they don't work.

Do you have an s-video port?
    svideo.jpg

Older laptops used this to connect to a TV through the AV connections (Red, White, Yellow cables)

theres little green dots everywhere. its like its out of focus aswell images arent defined

If you move the lid, does the image distort / change?

Best bring it to a shop, you're more than likely looking at a screen repair or, at the very least, a reseating of the video cable to the screen (fairly unlikely it could be that since most times it's pretty much taped to the connection)

how much am i looking at for a screen repair?

Yeah that's the round black one I was talking about. Cheers.
    So connect to TV with this cable and I should see my laptop as its meant to be and get my files off it. Excellent. I thought I was in for a world of trouble.

Thanks again for quick replies.

AqPI9HtCIAAKROe.jpg
    Thats a pic i took from my phone of the problem seeing as it wasnt showing up on the screen capture.
    All that green crap should not be there

When that happens, sometimes just reseating (disconnecting and reconnecting) the cable running from the internal video connector, through the hinge, to the back of the LCD or it's inverter will work.
    But it's very advisable to download and read a service manual for this laptop and be comfortable with patiently disassembling fragile electronics and keeping track of the various parts, or you'll do more damage.

Otherwise you'd need to get someone to test and fix it for you.

When that happens, sometimes just reseating (disconnecting and reconnecting) the cable running from the internal video connector, through the hinge, to the back of the LCD or it's inverter will work.
    But it's very advisable to download and read a service manual for this laptop and be comfortable with patiently disassembling fragile electronics and keeping track of the various parts, or you'll do more damage.

Yea im encouraged by the fact no problem is showing when I took a screen cap. I wouldn't be able to do that now. I probably should manage that this problem occured when i banged the left hand side against a door (Is that where this cable is located). Any idea how much a professional would charge to do this

• Advertisement

Looking at your mutant green Jesus, it looks like a reseating job. Fairly straight forward and won't cost you much (depending on who you go to).

You could do it yourself, but be very careful removing the front bezel surrounding the screen. They're very fragile. Download a service manual for your laptop (google it) or you could try a Youtube video for your model.

If you're not confident enough then bring it to a shop to avoid further damage.

Looking at your mutant green Jesus, it looks like a reseating job. Fairly straight forward and won't cost you much (depending on who you go to).

You could do it yourself, but be very careful removing the front bezel surrounding the screen. They're very fragile. Download a service manual for your laptop (google it) or you could try a Youtube video for your model.

If you're not confident enough then bring it to a shop to avoid further damage.

I'm not confident at all. From the sounds of things thats pretty good news so. Hopefully no more than a 30euro charge. I'll take that

I'm not confident at all. From the sounds of things thats pretty good news so. Hopefully no more than a 30euro charge. I'll take that

Take it to a shop and see what they quote you. If it's a simple reseatting job don't let them rip you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Yea im encouraged by the fact no problem is showing when I took a screen cap.
    Not sure if trolling or...

CiaranC wrote: »
    Not sure if trolling or...

LOL I realise how stupid I was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

if you take a screen shot of a damaged screen, it wont show the damaged screen, it will show what is meant to be their. you will need to take a picture of the laptop with a camera and not as screen shot for us to see this.

I did include a picture taken from my phone.
    I'm bringing it in now 2mrw to a laptop repair shop fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

What exactly is wrong with the screen?

Does it look like this?
    laptop-screen-repair-LCD-MAC-PC-netbook-01.jpg

Sorry for hijacking thread but this is actually what has happened to my laptop screen courtesy of an excited toddler. Any ideas what kind of price to get that fixed or good recommendations for repairs in the city centre. Cheers

Sorry for hijacking thread but this is actually what has happened to my laptop screen courtesy of an excited toddler. Any ideas what kind of price to get that fixed or good recommendations for repairs in the city centre. Cheers

Depends on your make and model of laptop and who you go to.

Prices do vary from €100 to €150. I've heard PC World charging up to €180 on screen repairs that should be €50 - €60 less than that.

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd update.... I actually hadn't gotten around to bringing it into a shop ( was using it hooked up to my tv via HDMI cable). However when I switched it on today the screen was back to normal 2 weeks to the day I bust it. How weird is that? Delighted anyway

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just thought I'd update.... I actually hadn't gotten around to bringing it into a shop ( was using it hooked up to my tv via HDMI cable). However when I switched it on today the screen was back to normal 2 weeks to the day I bust it. How weird is that? Delighted anyway

The loose connection likely causing must have become reseated, gotta love computers :pac:

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    The loose connection likely causing must have become reseated, gotta love computers :pac:

Nick

Delighted alright, hopefully it doesn't get loose again

was just watching youtube video on my computer and it randomly went again..... sigh think ill just take it in this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Buy new screen for 100 and fit your self

back again lol

• Advertisement

Anyone know where I can get instructions to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Where you based ?

If it's a Dell, Lenovo, some of the HPs then they provide good laptop specific service manuals for free on their support pages.

Advertisement