Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was i entitled to refund?

Options
  • 11-04-2012 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I bought a pair of shoes in shoe shop and when i got home i changed my mind about them and they were actually a little bit tight on me. Brought them back in the box with receipt just over week later.

The owner told me im only eligable for credit note and not refund. Just wondering is this correct or was i entitled to a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Shop owner is in the right.
    Some places might give you a refund but legally don't have to.
    The goods were 'fit for purpose' and you're not entitled to a refund if you just change your mind. Presumably you tried them on beforehand so the size fitting is your issue, not that of the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Trilogy

Sorry missus the shop is right I'm afraid.

Change of mind is not covered under the law even though many shops do offer it as a goodwill gesture / keep customers happy. Indeed they don't even have to give you a credit note so at least they're trying to sort you out somewhat.

The law only covers you if the product is faulty or not fit for it's purpose (say if the heel snapped after one wear etc). In that case you would be entitled to a refund, repair or replacement.

Hth!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

You are only entitled to a refund if the product is not fit for its purpose or faulty. And only if the store offers it. They might just offer a repair/ replacement.
    In this case as you just changed you mind the shop was fully entitled to just offer an exchange/ credit note. They dont even have to do that but most do as a gesture of goodwill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

You have no right to a refund. The Store Owner is actually going beyond their legal responsibility by offering you Store Credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Skid wrote: »
    You have no right to a refund. The Store Owner is actually going beyond their legal responsibility by offering you Store Credit.

Exactly, what Skid said. The goods were not faulty, you changed your mind.It is up to you to make sure they fit before purchase. The shop could have refused to let you return them at all and would have been within their rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

Thanks for all the replies guys just was not sure.

Ive often bought clothes in retail stores e.g. Oasis, Next etc where if you were not happy with your purchase you could return within 14days with receipt and tags. Just thought it might be same with the shoes.

Dont worry any excuse to buy new shoes with my credit note! ;)

Advertisement